What's new

What made ATG shaving work for you?

For those of you that have had trouble with ATG shaving, what made it work for you? Every once and awhile, I am able to accomplish it but most of the time, I just get irritation and ingrown hairs. My thick whiskers grow parallel (or flat to my face) and are not standing straight up. I almost always have a 5 o'clock shadow except when I actually accomplish BBS. I think my skin is more sensitive than normal. I'm looking for some ideas to try.

What changed ATG shaving for you? Was it a technique? Was it a product? What were you doing before and how did that change to make it better? What product really made the difference? What kind of beard do you have?

I'd love to hear some before and after stories from the experienced guys on the forum! Thanks!

The Paradigm SE allows me to do it. Nothing else consistently allows it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

50+ years of trial and error. It wasn't easy when I switched from the electric razor my parents gave me in high school to an injector when I went away to college. There was no guidance or internet back in the 1960's. You just shaved, with whatever, until you figured it out. Styptic pencils, powdered alum or wet tissue stuck to my face was my norm in college. To get a close or even decent shave with injector, cart or DE, I always had to go ATG and I don't even have a heavy beard. I gave up the injector when carts came out in the early 70s. I will say that ATG shaving with a cart is much different than a DE. With a cart, N-S and S-N was enough for me to get a close shave, but I was always pulling out ingrown hairs, something I don't get with DE. With DE, ATG means a different angle to each side of my face. I just kept experimenting until I figured it out.

This is what I did. Keep in mind I have a very rough Mediterranean beard.
1.Stopped using preshave cream. It was affecting my lather.
2.Instead of starting at the cap and lowering, I start at the safetybar and raise. This was the most significant change with any of my razors.
3. #2 above allowed me to use MUCH less pressure (basically nothing) while giving me the efficiency of what I was using before with moderate pressure.
4. Locking my wrist

Good luck!

I started shaving ATG when I first taught myself to shave 50+ yrs. ago. I only shave ATG, changing direction only to chase after wild hairs in order to shave them off ATG. I never considered shaving any other way because this method is so efficient.

My ATG is great now. I think because I do WTG and a ATG on my head. I also use no pressure and a Titanium razor. Very light weight. A good soap helps too. For me head shaving vastly improved my technique. Nick's and cuts are horrible on the dome.

For me, when I first started shaving I tended to put too much pressure on the razor particularly when I went ATG. When I changed the grip while holding the razor I lessened the pressure and could safely go against the grain. The wiki deals with holding a razor.

So I have had hit and miss with ATG shaving over the years. My routine seemed good for awhile, but lately not so much.

This morning, I tried something different with my Gillette Slim. I usually started at 5 and dialed it down to 3 for the ATG pass and 1 for clean-up.

This morning, I cranked it up to a 7 for all three passes, being careful to use a light touch ATG. Problem solved (for now)!

So I have had hit and miss with ATG shaving over the years. My routine seemed good for awhile, but lately not so much.

This morning, I tried something different with my Gillette Slim. I usually started at 5 and dialed it down to 3 for the ATG pass and 1 for clean-up.

This morning, I cranked it up to a 7 for all three passes, being careful to use a light touch ATG. Problem solved (for now)!
I also found more aggressive to work better. Using the Timeless Titanium .95 OC for all shaves including head.

For those of you that have had trouble with ATG shaving, what made it work for you?
Fortunately, I've never had a problem with ATG.
FWIW I've always started with a hot prep shower. No pre-shave products beyond bar soap and water.
I favour riding the cap.
I've also been using blades that are well broken in, with up to 30-100 shaves on them. It makes the blade very forgiving, even with the increased pressure, no matter what razor I put them in. They peak at 6-20 shaves, unless it's a Feather. Feather blades just go downhill after 5-10 shaves.

30-100 per blade? Wow, that is a feat. Is it about angle? I can't get more than 5-10 if I'm very lucky. I would love to get this milage! Teach the secret. It could be worth $$$$

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Two different shave settings!

Shave normally, two passes, on aggressive setting.

ATG third pass on neck, with a MILDER setting. If same aggressive setting is used ATG, it results in rash and weepers.

Took me years to get this.

And I don't use an adjustable. It's a Timeless Ti68, unscrewed a bit for main shaves, tightened completely for final ATG.

AA

The Paradigm SE allows me to do it. Nothing else consistently allows it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
That's a really interesting razor. I wish it was actually available (and at a lower cost). The angle really intrigues me on it. It looks so much more shallow than my current razors. I have noticed that a shallow angle atg is preferable to a steeper angle (at least at the moment). The unique angle (in my mind) makes me think it could be a unique alternative to a straight or shavette which I am not sure I am ready to learn just yet (as they also could be a potential alternative).

This is what I did. Keep in mind I have a very rough Mediterranean beard.
1.Stopped using preshave cream. It was affecting my lather.
2.Instead of starting at the cap and lowering, I start at the safetybar and raise. This was the most significant change with any of my razors.
3. #2 above allowed me to use MUCH less pressure (basically nothing) while giving me the efficiency of what I was using before with moderate pressure.
4. Locking my wrist

Good luck!
This is interesting. I have tried both steep and shallow angle shaving atg.... I have never gotten bbs from a steep angle. I might need to try again at this.

What made the difference for me was a more rigid design. You can read about my discovery of that below.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

I hear you about rigid designs....i have gotten better results with my Karve and my Merkur 15c (vs. My 34HD). However, I still feel they can get "stuck" when I go atg even with feather blades on a first use. Every once ans awhile I can get a BBS. Ironically, it's only been with the very mild 15c. I may need to play around with angle more. I'm also considering getting a Timeless SB .68 which I also understand is a rigid design and from all accounts a smooth and comfortable razor.

I also found more aggressive to work better. Using the Timeless Titanium .95 OC for all shaves including head.
I have only gotten a bbs from a mild razor and riding the cap (shallow angle). How do you find your angle - ride the cap, ride the bar, somewhere in between?

30-100 per blade? Wow, that is a feat. Is it about angle? I can't get more than 5-10 if I'm very lucky. I would love to get this milage! Teach the secret. It could be worth $$$$
Search "Excalibur Club" - there are people devoted to this! I can barely get 4!

Two different shave settings!

Shave normally, two passes, on aggressive setting.

ATG third pass on neck, with a MILDER setting. If same aggressive setting is used ATG, it results in rash and weepers.

Took me years to get this.

And I don't use an adjustable. It's a Timeless Ti68, unscrewed a bit for main shaves, tightened completely for final ATG.

AA
That really interesting about the two setting. I've also been considering getting a timeless.

Top Bottom