What's new

The Longest Silence

In this book Tom McGuane referenced Gough Thomas, an English writer who warned against polygunning. The idea is anyone who goes into the field shooting a rotation of guns will never truly master 'em. The sportsman should limit his selection. McGuane suggested something similar with flyrods, pointing out a 9' six weight will do just about everything. (And then he confessed to owning 20 rods.)

How about razors? If you regularly switch up, does it take you a couple shaves to adjust technique to each one? Or, do you mostly stick to just one or maybe two?

In my own experience, switching back and forth between a milder one and a more assertive razor was sometimes a bit challenging.

Been going thru a phase where I’ve bought pretty much everything I wanted to try.

I use them for maybe a week or two to get the angles down and then pick a favorite and stick with it for awhile.

Doing the Timeless now, and I’m gonna try some things to make it fit me better, but after that I’m going back to the Karve and stick with that for a few months.

That thing is effortless 2 pass BBSs every time. It’s pretty amazing to me.

I think that, once familiar with your "regular razors" any differences would be overcome within a few strokes, as you subconsciously adapt to it's requirements. I always start with my head shave first and find that by the time I have completed the back of my head (where I start), if not sooner, everything is working right and whatever adjustments were needed have been made.

I think the biggest adaptations may come from switching from a SE/DE to a straight or shavette, but even there it was just a case of "going slow" to start.

In this book Tom McGuane referenced Gough Thomas, an English writer who warned against polygunning. The idea is anyone who goes into the field shooting a rotation of guns will never truly master 'em. The sportsman should limit his selection. McGuane suggested something similar with flyrods, pointing out a 9' six weight will do just about everything. (And then he confessed to owning 20 rods.)

How about razors? If you regularly switch up, does it take you a couple shaves to adjust technique to each one? Or, do you mostly stick to just one or maybe two?

In my own experience, switching back and forth between a milder one and a more assertive razor was sometimes a bit challenging.

Strongly disagree due to hunting experience. If you master several firearms, it doesn't matter if you decided to put them in rotation. If you master a razor, the same thing. The first few shots with a firearm will get you reacquainted, and I'm noticing this with the first few shaves with a familiar razor.

Really, once you get your technique down, regardless whether it's hunting or fishing or shaving, then it really doesn't matter.

The trick, though, is to master them first. I still disagree with Mr. McGuane and Mr. Thomas' theory, but will note that having them in rotation first may well make it take longer to master. Not only are you dividing your time among several that you're trying to master, you have to go through that reacquainance stage each time.

Shrug. Still say that if someone enjoys having razors in rotation, then do it.

I will use one razor and blade for 5 - 6 days. Have about six razors in regular use, but other I use now and again during a year.
Never did the "different razor everyday" thing.

Not a problem for me. Sometimes I use a DE for the first pass and a GEM razor for the second, or a straight for the first pass and a DE for the second, or whatever. And I switch from DE to GEM to AC razors whenever a blade gets a little dull.

I've been doing this for over ten years, though. I kind of feel like I mastered all of them, and that shaving with any particular razor is kind of like riding a bike; once you learn how you never forget.

Polyrazoriing huh??

As a hobbiest/experience motivation user. I enjoy a variety. That said, I’ve been using DE razors for 50 years so nothing is challenging, just different.

Straights are different because the steel is different and the abuse of 100 years is different. I’ve stuck with one for weeks at a time and the experience was informative

I have a plethora of razors. However I find I stick to the same 10-15 over the course of a year. My stats show some razors I've only ever used 1 or 2 times. I will use a razor 4-5 days in a row. Generally day 2 is a better shave than day one. I'm not sure that shaving requires quite the skill of mastering a weapon.

I love my Standard Razor Aluminum, but it takes me a few days to get used to much heavier brass or stainless razors next up in my rotation. Besides that razor, I can jump around with no issues with the others.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Musashi Miyamoto said, "have no favorite weapon."

He could pick up a stick and defeat a samurai opponent.

Shave with anything ...well.

AA

I do exactly what you state in the bolded, and I find it's a great way to go. Firstly, I would get bored with the same razor too long. But mainly, I like to suit the aggression/efficiency to the desired shave. I also sneak in a very aggressive razor in the mix on occasion, and really appreciate my milder razor after I get a rough shave with the highly aggressive one.

I seem to transition back & forth quite well, but you are right in that if I use the same razor for a long period of weeks or a month or two, there is a short transition period partway through the transitional shave, or even for a full a shave or two. It's not for "failed" technique, but rather because I forget I'm using a different razor! Once I remember, I'm immediately able to correct my technique to the razor.

I agree that you can master more than one instrument. Keyboard players go from piano to synth to Hammond, violinists double on viola.

There has to be some variety. Even if the shave is slightly below optimum. The idea is to have a small rotation where they're all close to optimum but different. Like a MMOC and a R41.

Money can always buy you thrills..........

Cost of thrills is inversely proportional to happiness.

Anyhow.

I'm thinking of trying the Testina Gentile plate in the Fatip Piccolo mk1 today and see what it does. Will it be a more efficient TG, or a Piccolo with a leash, or a mishmash I will not like at all. Maybe swap the handle to a Grande. Shame I don't have a Retro yet.

Fatip is the ultimate adjustable. Rockwell is a joke. :001_cool:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I usually use one razor and one blade for seven shaves and then change to the next selection. I would find changing razors and blades everyday APITA. That is me though.

I went through phases before settling down to a very few razors! I rotate lots of blades, AS, soaps, etc.

Whatever makes you happy!! :a21::a21:

I use a razor until the blade is done. Then, I will either reload with the same blade or use another razor with a different blade.

marty

Top Bottom