What's new

Best modern value razors $100 or less

That razor isn't all stainless. Zamak head. Razors that incorporate zamak CAN last a long time. IF they are babied. And with a certain amount of luck. But they often don't. This forum is full of stories of premature failure of zamak razors. It happened with a razor i purchased and only used occasionally in less than a year. I have yet to hear of a solid stainless or brass razor succumbing to corrosion to the point of failure.

Some people love their zamak razors. That's great.But I just don't see how a razor that costs 40 to 80 bucks with a limited lifespan could be as cost effective as a 50 razorock or even a 70 dollar karve.

No razors that are properly plated with zamak will last a long time. The problem is not the zamak but the way modern plating is done these days. You don't see the older Krona or other Zamak razors like the later model Gillettes having problems or else they wouldn't be as prevalent on the secondary market in the first place. I doubt that many lasted because they were babied.

Stainless once it starts to rot is done. It rots from the inside out. It may take a few years but eventually it will just fail like a tree that looks okay but rotted from the inside just one day just falls over. If the manufacturer doesn't do it after they cut, etch, laser, etc then the razor is most likely doomed to failure right from the get go especially once the innards start oxidizing. As an owner in your favor though is you can passivate or repassivate it and that will take care of that and stop the rotting process until the passivation layer wears off which will take a very long time. Brass depends the alloy composition also. Not all brasses are created equal and some will go through what is called dezincification.

Now back to the question at hand which is value unless the poster wasn't referring to value as in $ then the economics are straightforward. See my earlier post on why going through 4 Dollar store specials a year are more economical than buying a $40 or up razor if they can't make ten years of use before breaking down.

Game Changer .84 and the R41 are two of my modern favorites. I agree the R41 head design is superb.

No razors that are properly plated with zamak will last a long time. The problem is not the zamak but the way modern plating is done these days. You don't see the older Krona or other Zamak razors like the later model Gillettes having problems or else they wouldn't be as prevalent on the secondary market in the first place. I doubt that many lasted because they were babied.

Stainless once it starts to rot is done. It rots from the inside out. It may take a few years but eventually it will just fail like a tree that looks okay but rotted from the inside just one day just falls over. If the manufacturer doesn't do it after they cut, etch, laser, etc then the razor is most likely doomed to failure right from the get go especially once the innards start oxidizing. As an owner in your favor though is you can passivate or repassivate it and that will take care of that and stop the rotting process until the passivation layer wears off which will take a very long time. Brass depends the alloy composition also. Not all brasses are created equal and some will go through what is called dezincification.

Now back to the question at hand which is value unless the poster wasn't referring to value as in $ then the economics are straightforward. See my earlier post on why going through 4 Dollar store specials a year are more economical than buying a $40 or up razor if they can't make ten years of use before breaking down.

I'll totally agree that the plating on a lot of modern razors is poorly done and was better in the past.

But stainless rotting from the inside out? That's ludicrous. Not the 300 series stainless that all the modern stainless razors are made of. Some of those razors aren't even plated. Yet they are going to rot from the inside out??? That makes absolutely no sense. Nor is it documented anywhere including this forum.

It's certainly true that stainless can rust. But under normal use it generally doesn't even when it's not coated or plated. If it does rust it's generally easily removed with no ill effects. Which is in stark contrast to a lesser metal like zamak which once it starts corroding do corrode through quickly.

Last edited:
I was surprised to find that a $20 QShave Futur clone was much better than I imagined.
That assumes that it's been assembled properly, and it takes a bit of getting used to.
It is perhaps the most dangerous DE razor I own though.

I was surprised to find that a $20 QShave Futur clone was much better than I imagined.
That assumes that it's been assembled properly, and it takes a bit of getting used to.
It is perhaps the most dangerous DE razor I own though.
Low settings blade gap looks big to me but gives comfortable close shave for my sensitive skin . I used GSB blade

What Rockwell 6S/6C are comparable to the Razorock Game Changer .68-P, .84-P and Mamba .70?

I'm usually use the Rockwell R3 or R5 plates, but am considering giving a RR a try?

What Rockwell 6S/6C are comparable to the Razorock Game Changer .68-P, .84-P and Mamba .70?

I'm usually use the Rockwell R3 or R5 plates, but am considering giving a RR a try?
Game Changer .68 is similar to Rockwell R3, .84 is more like R5 or R6.

Razorock SLOC and Fatip Piccolo.
:thumbsup:

Yes, these two cover nearly all of my daily shaving needs. And they're cheap!

SLOC for mild, and Piccolo for efficient mid-level aggression. Actually, add an R41, and for under a hundred bucks you've go it all: Mild, Moderate, and Aggressive! There's no way to lose, with that trio!

Last edited:

For me the GC .68 is similar to Rockwell R3 and .84 like R5, ymmv.
Since I found the 6S way smoother and more efficient on plates 3 and 5 against the Game Changer .68 & .84, i sold them both.

For me the GC .68 is similar to Rockwell R3 and .84 like R5, ymmv.
Since I found the 6S way smoother and more efficient on plates 3 and 5 against the Game Changer .68 & .84, i sold them both.

On the contrary, I find my .84 more efficient and slightly more smooth than the Rockwell 6C plate 6.

For me without question, it is the Muhle R41. The best combination of efficiency and smoothness. It has relegated my Timeless to the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my money it’s the game changer .84. Great deal at around $50 and am awesome razor. So awesome that I’ve sold almost every other razor I owned, save for my Rex Ambassador. The game changer is that good.

Fatip Piccolo does the trick. Great value and great performance. I also enjoy the Merkur 34C but it's a tad mild.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'll totally agree that the plating on a lot of modern razors is poorly done and was better in the past.

But stainless rotting from the inside out? That's ludicrous. Not the 300 series stainless that all the modern stainless razors are made of. Some of those razors aren't even plated. Yet they are going to rot from the inside out??? That makes absolutely no sense. Nor is it documented anywhere including this forum.

It's certainly true that stainless can rust. But under normal use it generally doesn't even when it's not coated or plated. If it does rust it's generally easily removed with no ill effects. Which is in stark contrast to a lesser metal like zamak which once it starts corroding do corrode through quickly.
+1
Thank you for stating the obvious @glm. Stainless rotting from the inside out, now that is funny.

For my money, the Fatip Piccolo hands down. I'm a machinist so I made bushings for mine, and it aligns perfectly every time. I have a Razorock SLOC arriving today, will post a review.
Prof

Last edited:
Top Bottom