What's new

Taming the R41

I am a long time wet shaver and have used the R41(both versions) over the years. The shaves end up being very close but the process was never enjoyable. The razor pulled and jumped no matter what soap or blade combination I tried. Today I tried again with my newly received Barrister and Mann Reserve Lavender. This soap is mega thirsty and takes quite a bit of time to get the lather yogurt like. Well I must say that with this lather and a new Gillette Platinum blade, the razor behaved like an R89. No pulling or tugging with an easy 3 pass BBS.
I debated whether to post this in the Razor or Soap Section but for now I will leave it here.

Taming the R41 is easy with practice.

- Put a better top cap on it. I use a Yintal Bronze which is heavier and narrower
- Put a titanium handle on it.
- Make your lather sloppy, face lather so you get it well into the skin, re-apply wherever needed
- Very light pressure, careful deliberate strokes
- Properly sharp blade - Nacet, GSB, Yellow SharpEdge
- Take your time
- Be good at face mapping so you know the directions to cut in.
- Careful but very light cleaning up and buffing

You should get a BBS with no irritation. Pic shows Jurgen Hempel and Wolfman Guerrilla handles

R41+Ti+Wolfman.jpg

You guys are an inspiration!! I could never get a comfortable shave with the R41, simply too much.

- Put a better top cap on it. I use a Yintal Bronze which is heavier and narrower

All well and good but that's no longer an R41. I do the same with my Ikon Tech, finding that another cap renders it a lot friendlier..but it's thereby a Frankenrazor not an Ikon Tech.

I found a BIC blade tugged less than others I tried with the R41 but it's still a chore to shave with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

- Put a titanium handle on it.
- Make your lather sloppy, face lather so you get it well into the skin, re-apply wherever needed
- Very light pressure, careful deliberate strokes
- Properly sharp blade - Nacet, GSB, Yellow SharpEdge
- Take your time
- Be good at face mapping so you know the directions to cut in.
- Careful but very light cleaning up and buffing

You should get a BBS with no irritation. Pic shows Jurgen Hempel and Wolfman Guerrilla handles

View attachment 982446

Do you have the link for the Yintal Bronze and the titanium handle ?

When I used my R41 I'd only use it for WTG and XTG. I'd swap the head for an R89 for my last pass. The R41 is one of those razors that are great if you skip a day or two shaving, but for an everyday shave just too aggressive for a straight up three pass shave.

With that in mind, this is a great end of the world razor. One pass WTG and you're good enough to fight bad guys and demons, or both.

I took me about 6 months off and on to tame my 41. Ended up the Plat Lux was the best fit. Having said that I've put her in "the drawer" as I really was never able to really enjoy the shave. I was always wary of getting bitten if I let my guard down. A really good shaver though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I found a BIC blade tugged less than others I tried with the R41 but it's still a chore to shave with.

"A chore". Yeah, my thoughts too.

I can get a nice shave with one, but its a slow, tedious and cautious shave. The slicker the soap the easier it is to use. Try Mama Bears. ;)

All well and good but that's no longer an R41. I do the same with my Ikon Tech, finding that another cap renders it a lot friendlier..but it's thereby a Frankenrazor not an Ikon Tech.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was just going to say this, but brother jmudrick beat me to it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good idea for a thread. R41 is not easy … I haven't given up on mine, but I opt for other, easier choices.

AA

You know what's better than a Muhle R41? A Muhle R89 that is double shimmed under the working blade. Seriously. The double shimmed Muhle R89 is about the best DE razor I have found for my old tough whiskers, all variables and issues considered.

The 41 has been my go-to razor for me for quite some time now. I find the R41 to be both smooth and comfortable. Always have.

I’m glade you tamed it. It pays bbs dividends.

The 41 has been my go-to razor for me for quite some time now. I find the R41 to be both smooth and comfortable. Always have. I’m glade you tamed it. It pays bbs dividends.

Yes indeed. I've found nothing better than the R41. Predictable smooth shaves with no irritation or fuss. Super dependable.

Meh. As others have said, I too find the R41 a chore. But for some ridiculous reason I can't figure out, I keep coming back to it from time-to-time. I don't come back for the shave, but for the challenge!

Top Bottom