What's new

The Quest: DFS + 0 Irritation or Ingrown Hairs

I suspect if I were going to use a DE razor it might be a slant. A Fatip Slant (mine's in transit).

View attachment 979957

Actually, there are several slants in my little collection of them that I like, but the one that I think I most want hasn't arrived yet.

I'll be interested in hearing about yours, Joel.

Happy shaves,

Jim
How on earth have you got a Fatip Slant in transit?

They're mythical creatures! Or at least us mere mortals cannot hope to capture one!

[emoji3]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
How on earth have you got a Fatip Slant in transit?

They're mythical creatures! Or at least us mere mortals cannot hope to capture one!

[emoji3]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
To put it simply, Jim says this from time to time because he knows that some of us are quite the panic about it when we're tight. :eek2:

A slant! Have you used a slant before Joel?

I remember hearing rumors about a Fatip slant seemingly a lifetime ago...
I have used the German 37 by RazoRock before. Didn't have a lot of luck with it. It is a 3 piece "clone" of the merkur 37c. Merkur retooled the 37c recently, and it is now a bit less aggressive. Someone else's word, not mine. I think I have one from after the retooling, but the gent I bought it from got it secondhand, so he doesn't know either. I'm not going to get into a tizzy about it, as I find the shaves very comfortable. They're also relatively close. I'm getting a very good DFS most nights. I'm not getting a BBS most nights, which I get with my injectors, and I'm actually quite happy about that. It makes things much easier on my skin to not get quite so close. It is a long lasting DFS too. Over time, I expect I'll start getting a bbs but I'll be quite happy with what I'm getting now.

I gave myself what I thought was a pretty decent weeper last night. Decided to try it without any styptic and used my modification of bootleggers bay rum (1/3 master bay rum, 1/3 Gabels bay rum, 1/3 pinaud VIBR). This mix tends to make weepers bleed more. No bleeding after rinsing with cold water and applying witch hazel. Apply the modified bay rum spalsh, and got a pretty intense burn. Checked, no weepers flaring up yet. Weird. Applied the balm, and still no weepers. This razor/blade combo for some reason will occasionally cause a weeper or two, but these are easily controlled without styptic.

I can tell when I overshave with the 37c/perma sharp combo. I don't seem to pay for it like I do with other razors. I'd have to say it is currently right up there with my injectors for favorite razor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Amazing, Joel.

Have you tried the E-2 steep or at the design angle (neutral angle)?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have used this E-2 exactly once, and varied the angle from shallow to neutral. Didn't attempt steep with it. Once the blade starts disengaging that much, I have to press so hard that the safety bar will actually cause irritation. It seems to shave me better than my other E-2. Slightly more smooth, but that's very subjective.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As I've mentioned the open to clean E-2 is my favorite safety razor. I hear all the E-2 razors vary meaning some are better than others, but mine is a super razor. I didn't set out to shave steep with it or anything of that sort but instead I "just shaved" and then noticed I was shaving at a very steep angle sometimes.

I was shaving by tactile and audible feedback and not by angle.

If your E-2 is as good as mine you might find you like it a lot, but you'd have to stick with it enough to learn it (like with any razor).

I'd forgotten about your RR German 37, Joel.

I've not used an Merkur razor and know little about them. I've not heard anything much other than praise for their quality and how they shave.

I could mention a number of non slant DE razors I like, but I don't like any of them as much as my E-2 and I don't like the E-2 as much as my straights. That's just me of course.

I'm glad to see you sticking with the slant for a while. It should be a very interesting "experiment."

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd have to say it is currently right up there with my injectors for favorite razor.

Keep using it for a while then change back to the injector. I'm willing to bet you'll notice the difference in blades. Once you do, that difference keeps growing larger and more pronounced.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Keep using it for a while then change back to the injector. I'm willing to bet you'll notice the difference in blades. Once you do, that difference keeps growing larger and more pronounced.
I'm on a Fatip Grande (Nickel) with Gillette Platinum Blades kick for the past three weeks. I find that with using the same razor and blade combination my skill with it seems more pronounced.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm on a Fatip Grande (Nickel) with Gillette Platinum Blades kick for the past three weeks. I find that with using the same razor and blade combination my skill with it seems more pronounced.

Thats the idea. Become very use to the combination of DE razor and blade, then switch to an SE. The difference in blades is huge.

An update:
Of course, me being me, I already had switched back to an injector to compare when you suggested switching after a long while, Mike @Esox. Did 2 shaves with the injector, one with a black handle superspeed, then back to the Merkur 37c with a Perma Sharp Super. The Merkur is my favorite of the 3. I knew I wasn't explaining things well in my post, so I broke out the injector to compare. I hope I can explain what I found.

After I use the Merkur, I'm a solid DFS. A very comfy, solid DFS. The whisker tips feel rounded, not pointy. The shave just feels better. My skin has been slowly improving as I use it too. I haven't gotten a solid BBS since my first shave or two with it. And I prefer it that way. I'm not getting ingrown hairs. Two shaves with a twin blade injector and I had one. They're improving after getting back to the Merkur. I also can shave daily when using it, whereas I'm borderling at 24 hours with the injectors. The Perma Sharps are also very sharp while being smooth and forgiving. I'm loving these blades in the 37c. I'm a lover of the Schick Prolines, but my somewhat acne prone skin gets roughed up with them. I get that planer effect a lot on any breakouts I get. I'll keep working on that part, but a less irritating shave will go a long way to helping with my acne.

I'll definitely keep at it with the Merkur. I'm a huge fan of it, and I wasn't expecting to be. Not what I was expecting at all. I probably could be getting more BBS shaves, but really trying to make sure I resolve these ingrown hairs.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
An update:
Of course, me being me, I already had switched back to an injector to compare when you suggested switching after a long while, Mike @Esox. Did 2 shaves with the injector, one with a black handle superspeed, then back to the Merkur 37c with a Perma Sharp Super. The Merkur is my favorite of the 3. I knew I wasn't explaining things well in my post, so I broke out the injector to compare. I hope I can explain what I found.

After I use the Merkur, I'm a solid DFS. A very comfy, solid DFS. The whisker tips feel rounded, not pointy. The shave just feels better. My skin has been slowly improving as I use it too. I haven't gotten a solid BBS since my first shave or two with it. And I prefer it that way. I'm not getting ingrown hairs. Two shaves with a twin blade injector and I had one. They're improving after getting back to the Merkur. I also can shave daily when using it, whereas I'm borderling at 24 hours with the injectors. The Perma Sharps are also very sharp while being smooth and forgiving. I'm loving these blades in the 37c. I'm a lover of the Schick Prolines, but my somewhat acne prone skin gets roughed up with them. I get that planer effect a lot on any breakouts I get. I'll keep working on that part, but a less irritating shave will go a long way to helping with my acne.

I'll definitely keep at it with the Merkur. I'm a huge fan of it, and I wasn't expecting to be. Not what I was expecting at all. I probably could be getting more BBS shaves, but really trying to make sure I resolve these ingrown hairs.

Joel, it sounds to me like your Merkur 37c might be worth an extended trial. For you I mean. Your report is very telling as to why.

Merkur37c.jpg

What in the design and build of the 37c makes it, as far as you can tell, a good razor for you?
  • One thing I notice you saying is it cuts the whiskers so they're blunt rather than sharp. I think that means you're using the razor so the blade is at a shallow angle.
  • Rigid blade?
  • Blade exposure?
  • Slant?
  • Weight?
  • What else occurs to you about its design?
The only things that have me at all interested in the razor are what you have reported and the fact that the razor is a slant! I like my slants.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Joel, it sounds to me like your Merkur 37c might be worth an extended trial. For you I mean. Your report is very telling as to why.

View attachment 981368

What in the design and build of the 37c makes it, as far as you can tell, a good razor for you?
  • One thing I notice you saying is it cuts the whiskers so they're blunt rather than sharp. I think that means you're using the razor so the blade is at a shallow angle.
  • Rigid blade?
  • Blade exposure?
  • Slant?
  • Weight?
  • What else occurs to you about its design?
The only things that have me at all interested in the razor are what you have reported and the fact that the razor is a slant! I like my slants.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't know that I can address each item on your list, as I haven't looked for most of it myself but I'll answer what I can.

Blade does seem more rigid than my other DEs. Much more than my Parker Variant, the repurchase of which was my gateway back into DEs from SE shaving. The curvature of the blade isn't quite as significant as the Parker, but it is a bit more than the superspeeds I have. Then there is the twisting of the slant which works quite well. The edges of the blade are clamped almost to the edge. The bar guard is what sets this slant apart from the pack. It has a scalloped bar. What it actually seems to be is a fatip gentile, but as a slant. I've noticed the scalloped guard allows more lather through. I can take a pass and still have a slight amount of lather left with the little scallops taken out. I think the guard design is a big part of the comfort for me.

Blade exposure seems neutral to slightly negative, but really hard to tell with the slant.

I am using it around the design angle to shallow I think. I could be wrong there though. I shave however is comfy. My whiskers grow pretty parallel to my skin, but the shallow angle seems to work better for them. Hence, the injectors and this 37c work well for me.

Weight is "about right". It is well balanced. Doesn't have a long handle, on the shorter side. But the weight is appropriate, and the handle is hollowed out to make it a lighter.

The two piece design makes it easier to let the whole apparatus dry with the blade in but left loose. I'm a fan of that part of the design. Makes it very easy to load. Set the cap on the counter, drop on the blade, but the handle on, tighten, shave. It's also not finicky with blade alignment.

Been using the new batch of permasharps I got from Maggard. They're the Turkish ones, not the Russian. Slight mixup, apparently their supplier changed and they hadn't noticed (I didn't either until I pulled out a blade and noticed the difference in the stamping). The shave seems very similar and I'm a huge fan of this combo of blade and razor.

I've been using the combo for quite a few shaves now. Did a rush job yesterday in about five minutes from start of lather to rinsing off. One pass xtg/atg hybrid. And it performed like a champ. Today, did a more leisurely two pass. Good DFS both times. A few more weepers yesterday than today. Today's two weepers went away after I did my relather after the final pass. No styptic needed. That's about four shaves in the past week without styptic. An all time high for me. I won't be jumping to any brash conclusions (like selling off my entire den) but I have found a razor and blade I'd be happy with for the foreseeable future. Good thing since we're moving again next month and I'll need to pack up my shave gear for a bit. The question will be whether to unpack most of it or not...

Don't know if I answered your questions, Jim, but I'm shocked by this little razor. I wish I'd found it sooner. Oh, for reference, it feels very different in terms of balance and face feel compared to the RR German 37. I much prefer the Merkur 37c. That said, a German 37 with a RR HD handle might change my tune as the balance would be closer to the 37c. That would only be if my 37c breaks or corrodes, though.

I do have a MMOC to use at some point. Maybe next year...

Enjoy the shaves, all!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
An update:

It sounds to me as though you've found a good match between razor, blade and your skin Joel. Stick with it until you find any shortcomings, if you do.

I found Perma Sharps very smooth and very sharp too, as well as long lasting but with the increased rigidity of my Grande I couldnt get the best shave from them. In my Regent they're #1.

The MMOC is an entirely different beast and I'll bet you wont like it the first time or 10 you use it lol. It demands a finely tuned technique and is not easy to use. I've been using my Bullet Tip the last week or so. I do miss the closer shave of the MMOC.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It sounds to me as though you've found a good match between razor, blade and your skin Joel. Stick with it until you find any shortcomings, if you do.

I found Perma Sharps very smooth and very sharp too, as well as long lasting but with the increased rigidity of my Grande I couldnt get the best shave from them. In my Regent they're #1.

The MMOC is an entirely different beast and I'll bet you wont like it the first time or 10 you use it lol. It demands a finely tuned technique and is not easy to use. I've been using my Bullet Tip the last week or so. I do miss the closer shave of the MMOC.
I normally don't correct grammar but I couldn't resist:
The MMOC is an entirely different duck and I'll bet you wont like it the first time or 10 you use it lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I normally don't correct grammar but I couldn't resist:
The MMOC is an entirely different duck and I'll bet you wont like it the first time or 10 you use it lol.

Technically, its more a Merganser Rave. Mergansers have teeth lol.

stock-photo-54652100.jpg

You wont like eating them, but I dare you to try, even once haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
stock-photo-54652100-jpg.982266

Are you sure that's not a Double Duck Dbl Duck?

I'll answer what I can.

What it actually seems to be is a fatip gentile, but as a slant.

OMG. Maybe it is the fabled Fatip Slant (which I have in transit, but only you have received).

Joel, that's a great review of the razor, but it really can be summed up in the one statement (at least to those of us very familiar with the various Fatip models).

upload_2019-5-20_9-2-6.jpeg

Not my photo, but a good illustration.

I know there are two versions of the Merkur slant. The other one has a longer handle and is, I think, heavier. If you get a chance and have a caliper would you measure the diameter of your Merkur slant for me? If no caliper would you compare it to a Fatip Grande handle or a Fatip Piccolo handle, or some other razor handles. I like handles fatter than the Piccolo. The Grande handle suits me but the Piccolo handle does not. I also wonder about which of the Merkur slants to buy?

I think I like the shorter handle better, but the longer handle also looks good.

Slantember (September) banner.png

Yeah, I know I'm using the straight exclusively, but I also sometimes think about doing a month of slants in September. I enjoyed it last time I did it. If Slantember rolls around I want to have in my arsenal a Fatip Slant (dream on) and probably a Merkur Slant.

You've made an excellent case for the razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The 37C is no Fatip but its also not your typical Merkur baseplate design. Interesting...

The blade is supported more towards the edge than in the center like the typical EJ/Merkur/Muhle base.

CAM00137[1].jpg

CAM00135[1].jpg

The cap should clamp the blade pretty well to the base but the lather slot does leave the blade mostly unsupported at the edge. Add the blade being torqued, with the right blade in it, I can see it being a smooth shaver.

Top Bottom