Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red tub
Razor: Gillette "No Guard" Tech
Blade: Personna Red (11)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2019-5-16_4-11-35-png.981100
:001_wub:

An excellent (albeit somewhat slow) BBS shave using "The Coach." :001_smile

My four days growth wasn't as easily ploughed through as I expected. With my Fatip OC it would have been gone in a trice. Also, having checked my records, it's the first time I've used "The Coach" for more than one consecutive shave.

I think my idea of using The Coach on a regular basis, on the run up to SR shaving proper, is a good one (if I can stick with it). We will see. :stuart: :laugh:

Have you considered a Razorine for DE straight training, Cal? It's something I considered for a while, but I must admit that my enthusiasm for anything new has pretty much evaporated. You get a DE shave, while acclimatising to the inline handle, whereas the coach will give you the right touch, but with the wrong handling... perhaps.

The shallowest angle (without pressing the cap into the skin) is about 26° and the steepest angle as far as you want to take it.
I've struggled with my dad's razor (a guardless Tech like your coach), and only once I started shavette shaving was I able do get a good shave with it. Shallow, steep, nothing worked for me.

Why? Because 26 degrees was still too steep. So what did I do to make it work? I used the same logic as in your sentence I quoted. I decreased the angle by pushing the top cap into my skin, and not just lightly - I use pretty heavy pressure. Sounds stupid, but it really works. Angle is decreased to what I'm used to with a straight, and the pressure holds the skin taut. Such a comfortable and close shave.

I reach for straights about 90% of the time these days, but when I pick a DE, it's usually my guardless Tech. Try mashing yours into your cheek and see if it works for you.

Have you considered a Razorine for DE straight training, Cal? It's something I considered for a while, but I must admit that my enthusiasm for anything new has pretty much evaporated. You get a DE shave, while acclimatising to the inline handle, whereas the coach will give you the right touch, but with the wrong handling... perhaps.
:laugh: I looked at (a picture of) it and hated it straight away Al.

But I do have my very nice Feather DX, which I may move on to next (or maybe not).
upload_2019-5-20_9-41-36.png

Like you, I'm doing my best not to plan too far ahead (with difficulty).

I've struggled with my dad's razor (a guardless Tech like your coach), and only once I started shavette shaving was I able do get a good shave with it. Shallow, steep, nothing worked for me.

Why? Because 26 degrees was still too steep.
I hear ya Rudy. :yesnod:
So what did I do to make it work? I used the same logic as in your sentence I quoted. I decreased the angle by pushing the top cap into my skin, and not just lightly - I use pretty heavy pressure. Sounds stupid, but it really works. Angle is decreased to what I'm used to with a straight, and the pressure holds the skin taut. Such a comfortable and close shave.
Unfortunately for me, my programming (brainwashing) went very well. (I am doing my best to reset to default [the way very small children are] but it ain't easy.) This means that rules rule. I automatically make up my own rules and get annoyed with myself if I don't follow them.

The very thought of cap riding, or even worse pressing the damned thing into my face, makes me feel ill (sorry Mike @Esox). That's the reason I sold my Feather SS with its annoying (to me) lip
upload_2019-5-20_10-26-21.png
:a31: and purchased the DX.

I vividly remember my extended "shallow shaving" trial not long after joining B&B. Shaving had never made my face uncomfortable till then, but I persevered because "shallow" was the way to go.:crazy: Eventually I gave it up as a bad job and went back to steep and neutral... the relief was just about instant, and wonderful.

I guess it may have something to do with the way my whiskers grow virtually parallel to my skin.
Whatever, it's all a great learing experience in this YMMV world. :letterk1: :laugh:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I decreased the angle by pushing the top cap into my skin, and not just lightly - I use pretty heavy pressure. Sounds stupid, but it really works. Angle is decreased to what I'm used to with a straight, and the pressure holds the skin taut. Such a comfortable and close shave.

As pressure on the cap increases, that pressure creates a wave of skin which also helps the hairs stand up and away from the skin. It seemingly goes against everything you might think, but it does work.

I never think about the degree of any particular angle. I dont have a protractor built into my arm but think of shallow as cap riding, steep as comb riding. I'll shave anywhere between the two and at the very extreme of either. As angle changes so does pressure applied. I do it all by feel and dont think about it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I hear ya Rudy. :yesnod:

Unfortunately for me, my programming (brainwashing) went very well. (I am doing my best to reset to default [the way very small children are] but it ain't easy.) This means that rules rule. I automatically make up my own rules and get annoyed with myself if I don't follow them.

The very thought of cap riding, or even worse pressing the damned thing into my face, makes me feel ill (sorry Mike @Esox). That's the reason I sold my Feather SS with its annoying (to me) lip
View attachment 982244 :a31: and purchased the DX.

I vividly remember my extended "shallow shaving" trial not long after joining B&B. Shaving had never made my face uncomfortable till then, but I persevered because "shallow" was the way to go.:crazy: Eventually I gave it up as a bad job and went back to steep and neutral... the relief was just about instant, and wonderful.

I guess it may have something to do with the way my whiskers grow virtually parallel to my skin.
Whatever, it's all a great learing experience in this YMMV world. :letterk1: :laugh:

Shallow DE shaving makes sense to me in theory, but doesn't work worth a flip for me. Steep does.

honey-badger-wrangel-jpg.982265

Shallow SR shaving is another critter.

Cool Honey Badger isn't it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shallow DE shaving makes sense to me in theory, but doesn't work worth a flip for me. Steep does.

honey-badger-wrangel-jpg.982265

Shallow SR shaving is another critter.

Cool Honey Badger isn't it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Honey Badgers are just about the baddest creatures alive. [emoji7]

Courtesy of Wikipedia (thus it is true):

Because of the toughness and looseness of their skin, honey badgers are very difficult to kill with dogs. Their skin is hard to penetrate, and its looseness allows them to twist and turn on their attackers when held. The only safe grip on a honey badger is on the back of the neck. The skin is also tough enough to resist several machete blows. The only sure way of killing them quickly is through a blow to the skull with a club or a shot to the head with a gun, as their skin is almost impervious to arrows and spears.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Honey Badgers are just about the baddest creatures alive. [emoji7]

Courtesy of Wikipedia (thus it is true):

Because of the toughness and looseness of their skin, honey badgers are very difficult to kill with dogs. Their skin is hard to penetrate, and its looseness allows them to twist and turn on their attackers when held. The only safe grip on a honey badger is on the back of the neck. The skin is also tough enough to resist several machete blows. The only sure way of killing them quickly is through a blow to the skull with a club or a shot to the head with a gun, as their skin is almost impervious to arrows and spears.

But, the cute girl at the pet store said...

upload_2019-5-20_16-55-11.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Cal,

How's the straight razor shaving quest going for you?

proxy.php

At a few over two hundred SR shaves I'm continuing to learn and feel I have a long ways to go, but it's an interesting and perhaps fascinating journey.

My latest honing efforts on the Double Convex Ark have convinced me that there's a level of sharpness and comfort I was previously unaware of. I know getting a DCA in the UK is a serious undertaking but I would strongly consider obtaining the stone. I've not used the white translucent that Jarrod sells, but I know I prefer my flat white Norton translucent to my flat hard black Ark, and I know Jarrod likes using his white translucent. So, if I were recommending one I'd say get the white translucent.

I'd also say to get either the white with the glued on its bottom softer stone (the Double Convex Ark) or the white translucent as a single stone + the softer tan separately. I know you don't 100% have to have the convexed bevel setter but it makes things both better and easier and is the recommended course according to my understanding of what Jarrod has told me (I've posted elsewhere about this subject).

Not that I'm in any way dissatisfied with my black translucent DCA 8x3, but the smaller size would be fine, and the big ones are no longer made.

I don't regret at all the course I picked against all advice. I think it was helpful to me to learn stropping, and shaving, and honing all in one package. Besides that, I don't know how I would have obtained and maintained straights which were sharp. Almost none (one, actually) of the razors I purchased "shave ready" was as sharp as I was able to make a razor, and I'm talking what I could do early on, long before I actually was able to get a razor anywhere near as sharp as my current best efforts.

All that is to encourage your SR efforts should you still be interested in SR shaving.

There are other good stones, of course. I like my coticule edges (but the DCA's best edges are just as comfortable and sharper). Pasted strops are also a real option and very helpful (but the DCA's best edges are just as comfortable and sharper).

I think not having a very very sharp edge slows one's SR learning curve, but it might also lead to better technique. I'm no expert on how to learn the straight, not shaving, not honing, not stropping. All I know is from fumbling about, a process which hasn't ended.

Why SR Shave? (meme).jpg

My SR shaves are not as close and smooth as my better safety razor shaves, but the SR is far more comfortable and its shaves are improving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

SOTD

Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red tub
Razor: Gillette "No Guard" Tech
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2019-5-16_4-11-35-png.981100
:001_wub:

That was my fifth in a row shave with The Coach. It was another four days growth job, but it was a lot easier than the previous four days growth shave. Having every shave with The Coach, rather than the occasional one off, has been a steeper learning curve than I expected.

With just the bare blade my shaving angle has been getting shallower by the shave! OK Rudy @rudyt and Mike @Esox, you were right guys and I was wrong. But I doubt if I'd have discovered that without sticking with The Coach for each shave (rather than one offs).

Although I had a very nice BBS shave the ASL gave me a short but very noticeable sting, all over. That tells me I still have plenty of work to do on my shaving angles with the bare blade.

I'm pleased that I've stuck with The Coach so far and intend remaining with him till my No Guard shaves are as easy as my normal Safety Razor shaves (of course, you all know about my intentions :laugh:).
How's the straight razor shaving quest going for you?
As you can see from the above Jim, I'm taking baby steps towards the SR proper.

Thank you for the Convex Ark info. After reading that I spent SEVERAL HOURS reading more about them... and was even at the point of pressing the buy-it-now button.
Fortunately a wave of self restraint crashed over me. :a13:

I'm hoping that my GD W60 will turn up in the not too distant future so that I can send it to Doug @Somerled for rescaling in my chosen color scheme. I'll also be sending Doug my new (to me) Otto Deutsch HANS for a little scales maintenance. The HANS is very nice and plenty sharp, so I may start SR shaving seriously with it... and THEN think about Convex Arks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As you can see from the above Jim, I'm taking baby steps towards the SR proper.

Thank you for the Convex Ark info. After reading that I spent SEVERAL HOURS reading more about them... and was even at the point of pressing the buy-it-now button.

I was hit with an irrational and dangerous wave of premature near death failure to act on a really smart impulse. Thus I failed to buy an item I really really really need!

FTFY.

upload_2019-5-28_16-3-18.png

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
With just the bare blade my shaving angle has been getting shallower by the shave! OK Rudy @rudyt and Mike @Esox, you were right guys and I was wrong. But I doubt if I'd have discovered that without sticking with The Coach for each shave (rather than one offs).

Apply the same shallow technique to your Mr.SE and you'll be following me down the path marked by @rabidus. DE's just dont cant compare in my book.

After six consecutive shaves with The Coach:
upload_2019-6-19_22-15-13.png

I didn't seem to be getting any better (or worse) at it.

So I decided to take a complete break and broke out my old Gillette Sensor Excel:
upload_2019-6-19_22-20-18.png

Accompanied with Proraso Red SHAVING FOAM!

And just to prove how low I can go:
upload_2019-6-19_22-23-21.png

I interspersed my cartridge shaves with a few Braun Series1 190s ELECTRIC SHAVES!

BACK TO EARTH

Today I received my HANS SR back from Doug @Somerled who kindly fixed the somewhat loose (i.e. dangerous) scales. Thank you Doug.:001_cool: (I like the look of the scales and didn't want to risk breaking them.)

upload_2019-6-19_22-41-19.png

So, as recommended by Doug, it was time to "man up" (and get some "proper" shaving in). My intention was a complete shave with the HANS. I managed both cheeks down to (and including) both sides of my neck. I found trying to get the central part, from the bottom of my mustache to the bottom of my neck, virtually impossible so I broke out my Feather DX kamisori. The DX did the trick due to 1) having no scales to get in the way and 2) having a 2" blade (vs. the standard SR 3") to maneuver around and into the various humps and hollows of my bony face and neck.

Both the HANS and the DX (with a new Schick Proline) were nicely sharp... and boy, did the aftershave sting? YES!

Here comes another one of my plans (you know... these things I don't stick to): Every second shave with my Sensor Excel (or electric) to let my face calm-down/rest a little. Initial main shaves with the Feather DX to get me used to having the blade in line with the handle; followed by SR shaves to practise with the longer blade and getting over the scales blocking my movements.

As ever, any suggestions and/or guidance is most welcome.

Wishing you all great shaves. :thumbsup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As ever, any suggestions and/or guidance is most welcome.

Wishing you all great shaves. :thumbsup:

Yeah, send all the other razors on an extended road trip.

upload_2019-6-19_21-9-35.png

I'll help you count...

Seriously, this gets easier pretty quickly, Cal.

Keep the spine of the straight razor very close to your skin. Stretch your skin, but lightly. Very wet lather. Very very very little pressure. If your skin isn't comfortable with very little aftershave or alum sting you're probably using too much pressure or have the angle of the razor high.

All that's assuming your blade is quite sharp, but I think it is.

Oh, strop before and after each shave.

You can do it, Cal!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom