What's new

Preferred blades with Super Speeds? Mine's a 1952.

Hey B&B!

I scored my first vintage Gillette, a minty 1952 Super Speed on eBay for ~$20.

It didn't give me BBS shave however I know I need to get my technique down and blade combo correct before truly moving on to try something else.

I read a post on here where a guy with my exact razor preferred the red back Persona blades.

If you have this particular vintage Gillette, what do you like to pair with it?

proxy.php

The Gillette SuperSpeed razors are relatively mild shavers, so they are good for new shavers and for those whose beard is not coarse or heavy. I do have a coarse beard, so the only way I can use my SuperSpeed clone is with an aggressive blade, for example Feather, BIC or Nacet. However, if your beard is not coarse, you might be able to use a mild blade like a Derby Extra. The best way to find out what works best for you (your beard, your skin, your razor) is to purchase a sample pack containing a wide range of blades.

The Gillette SuperSpeed razors are relatively mild shavers, so they are good for new shavers and for those whose beard is not coarse or heavy. I do have a coarse beard, so the only way I can use my SuperSpeed clone is with an aggressive blade, for example Feather, BIC or Nacet. However, if your beard is not coarse, you might be able to use a mild blade like a Derby Extra. The best way to find out what works best for you (your beard, your skin, your razor) is to purchase a sample pack containing a wide range of blades.

Does anyone know of a website that allows you to build your own sampler pack?

And that's the recommendations on aggressive blade types to try out. :001_smile

Anything Platinum as a rule. Only because I prefer Platinum coated blades though. Every blade I've tried so far in a 40's style SuperSpeed has worked well.

Agreed - PolSilver, Nacet, GSB, Gillette Platinum and like blades all work very well in a SS.
Razorbladesclub.com and Tryablade.com come to mind to build a sampler pack. Amazon has sampler packs already assembled too, just need to select would you want.

Well, like with every prep, razor, face and beard combo, you have to find out for yourself. The best way is IMHO, to get a bunch of sample packs. On ebay you can find guys where you can combine your own sample packs of Russian blades. And you can always buy five or ten blades somewhere on amzon or ebay. Pricy, yes, but to test blades, I think that is ok as a one time thing. If you found your preferred blades you'll buy cheap in bulk anyway.

I have two '58 T.V. Special Super Speeds, one complete with it's original pristine case. One was my father's and the other my grandfather's. I never got the whole "this blade for that razor" thing. A good blade is, for me, a good blade and works as well in all my razors.

That a fine looking razor, congrats! I have the same and I find they do best for me when paired with Silver Star blades. Hard to get here. Next in order would be Feathers, Shark and Derbys.

Top Bottom