What's new

Flicking brush dry

I have been just finishing and squeezing out excess then a could good shakes then lightly brush over a towel and stand to dry, I used to use a stand to hang bristle down but not anymore

So I shouldn't shake it hard for about 5 10 seconds like I do.

Can anything happen by doing that?
I usually shake my brush out pretty well after I rinse it out. I may need to get a brush holder that will keep it bristles down while drying. I don't know if that makes a big difference though.

I usually shake my brush out pretty well after I rinse it out. I may need to get a brush holder that will keep it bristles down while drying. I don't know if that makes a big difference though.

In my house it doesn't make a difference at all. I have one Omega that came with a stand and it dries about the same amount of time as my other brush.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I flick mine, but I am now very careful to grip onto my brush very tightly. Had to replace the bathroom sink as the handle slipped my grip and cracked the sink - not a joke, this has happened to me!! Brush was fine....that's what my quality handles are!!!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I flick mine, but I am now very careful to grip onto my brush very tightly. Had to replace the bathroom sink as the handle slipped my grip and cracked the sink - not a joke, this has happened to me!! Brush was fine....that's what my quality handles are!!!
I have hit the tub before.

Every day, no matter the brush, after the shave:

- Rinse out brush
- Light squeeze
- A couple hearty flicks into the bath
- Gentle strop on bath towel

No adverse effects for the last couple of years of use.

+1. My routine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch.... I bet you wish the handle broke before the sink, that’s for sure!

The Simpson fun Faux Pas website:
Gently squeeze the base of the knot to assess whether it is completely residue free before lightly stroking the bristles over a soft towel.
Considering they've been going for over a century you'd think they would know the difference between badger hair and boar bristle.
On the other hand, higher up in that page they claim that a prep shower "opens up your pores", which is nonsense, so what do they know?
Indeed. :laugh:

I also love their descriptions of their different badger hair grades:
Super Badger:
A long hair with a soft creamy white tip. The ultimate in shaving sensation.

Best Badger:

Pure Badger:

I guess it's just as well that their brushes are much more superior to their grasp of facts and the English language.

I dont see how flicking the water out of the brush will damage it. Ive always just gently squeezed the water out, gave it a few flicks to release any water and then brushed it dry on a towel.

Flick a few times, squeeze on dry towel, repeat, hang. With this routine even my biggest brush (24mm) seems bone dry much sooner than 12 hrs after use. Maybe the bigger ones need more time.

I have done that - the knot went flying across my bathtub - now I flick very gently and with a brush with a long know, I grasp the base of the knot when I flick it.

Same here, this happened to a brush I'd only gotten 2 months before. Now I'm more careful flicking, but I still do. I just grip the metal ring at the top of the handle.

I squeeze mine gently, flick it a couple times, wipe it on a towel a few times, then use a comb to make sure it's not tangled. On the shelf it goes until the next shave, no fancy stand either.

Wow, that stinks. What materials were the counter and handle made of?

Oh yes I have done the same but my sink has still got the battle scars 2 years later, but I do have to refit the bathroom with all new stuff so it can hang on a while longer....

just-beat-the-devil-out-if-it-bob-ross-260477.gif
I use this technique...

Last edited:
After running water on the knot, while holding and squeezing the base of the knot to rinse the lather out, I give mine a few (or more) flicks towards the sink, then swipe it on a paper towel. I also face lather in circular motions, another no-no per instructions, and haven't killed a brush yet.

Top Bottom