What's new

Buying mistakes, particularly new DE users

As far as purchasing blades in quantities of 100...I don't know.

I first purchased 100 Voskhods when I started DE shaving and I don't remember having bad experiences with them. And I bought them because of their price.

Just recently, I bought another 100 Voskhods. And...man!

It's like between that 1st 100 and the 2nd 100 my facial hair went from the kind of stubble you might see on Legolas the Elf to the stubble of Lee Marvin from "The Dirty Dozen". Tough, grey stubble. Stubble that had "seen the elephant". Stubble that had shot a man in Memphis, just to see him die.

And all of a sudden, shaving with the Voskhods was like The Spanish Inquisition.

The gear stays the same. Most times, it's you that changes!

This is the high quality content I come here for:)

I think buying something that you think will be "like" something you really want.

Just get what you want, and enjoy the hobby on your own terms.

IMO.

+1 on this! I assumed that because I have sensitive skin I needed a mild razor. I found that two passes with a larger gap gave me a better shave than three passes with a milder razor and far less skin irritation.
No kidding. Had I started with the aggressive Merkur 39c sledgehammer slant razor, a Feather DE blade, and Tabac soap from the getgo, I would have much less inventory and throwaways.

No; pure fallacy. It is a proven scientific fact you must try 13 razors, 11 brushes, 9 soaps, 4 creams, 12 blades...before you know what you need/want.

And then you will change your mind a year later.

I ended up with too many blades due the cost of 20 packs was like buying 3 single packs. I got hooked on going for the good deals. I like my Astra sp, Voskhod, Rubies, Nacet, GSB, Crystal, and Shark. Actually the only one I don't care for are Feather blades; so I've been lucky.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
As far as purchasing blades in quantities of 100...I don't know.

I first purchased 100 Voskhods when I started DE shaving and I don't remember having bad experiences with them. And I bought them because of their price.

Just recently, I bought another 100 Voskhods. And...man!

It's like between that 1st 100 and the 2nd 100 my facial hair went from the kind of stubble you might see on Legolas the Elf to the stubble of Lee Marvin from "The Dirty Dozen". Tough, grey stubble. Stubble that had "seen the elephant". Stubble that had shot a man in Memphis, just to see him die.

And all of a sudden, shaving with the Voskhods was like The Spanish Inquisition.

The gear stays the same. Most times, it's you that changes!
Well put!

Imo, big mistake = buying “mild” razors and blades because you’re a noob. You’re more likely to do more passes with bad technique resulting in compounding levels of more irritation. Go sharp. Go efficient. ESPECIALLY if you’re new.

I keep saying this and getting four or five replies saying "start with an EJ DE89".....

I wish I'd bought a R41 a LOT sooner than I did. It would have saved me about 12 razor purchases that just ended up on the BST. So if you're a beginner, you heard it here - "start with an R41". Astra SP or Gillette Silver Blue blade, sloppy well-watered lather, almost no pressure at all and take your time. You should get the required technique within 10 shaves. After that you're golden.

I've gotten closer shaves from a 2 year old disposable BIC razor I found in a bathroom than from other razors that Techs, DE89, 34C owners consider aggressive. Too many mild razors out there, considering we're far from teenagers in this hobby.

I keep saying this and getting four or five replies saying "start with an EJ DE89".....

I wish I'd bought a R41 a LOT sooner than I did. It would have saved me about 12 razor purchases that just ended up on the BST. So if you're a beginner, you heard it here - "start with an R41". Astra SP or Gillette Silver Blue blade, sloppy well-watered lather, almost no pressure at all and take your time. You should get the required technique within 10 shaves. After that you're golden.
Merkur 39C was purchased after getting DE89 and considering R41. Personna Blue (Med Prep) would probably be better..
I've gotten closer shaves from a 2 year old disposable BIC razor I found in a bathroom than from other razors that Techs, DE89, 34C owners consider aggressive. Too many mild razors out there, considering we're far from teenagers in this hobby.
Merkur 34C still didn't do it for me.. 39C instead..

I'd have to agree with the others, even after I switched to wet-shaving I began to dread it again, I was using the Merkur 38C which is pretty mild, for about a 5 day growth, on my thick and dense facial hair.

Fortunately everything began to look up, I brought a slightly more aggressive Parker 24C open comb, a Muhle R41, and the Merkur Progress, I am now enjoying shaving again! I still use the Merkur 38C, but now it's for only 1-2 day growth.

I'd have to agree with the others, even after I switched to wet-shaving I began to dread it again, I was using the Merkur 38C which is pretty mild, for about a 5 day growth, on my thick and dense facial hair.

Fortunately everything began to look up, I brought a slightly more aggressive Parker 24C open comb, a Muhle R41, and the Merkur Progress, I am now enjoying shaving again! I still use the Merkur 38C, but now it's for only 1-2 day growth.

With 5 days growth on my face it's called a beard.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For me, it's easy: I would buy only my birth quarter Tech. It's pretty much all I use now. And my blades are lasting over 30 shaves. 'Course, now I'm shaving around a mouse that died under my nose, so that has lowered the amount of real estate I have to cover.

For me, it's easy: I would buy only my birth quarter Tech. It's pretty much all I use now. And my blades are lasting over 30 shaves. 'Course, now I'm shaving around a mouse that died under my nose, so that has lowered the amount of real estate I have to cover.
Full disclosure helps provide context.....LOL!!:a29:

Top Bottom