What's new

A different look at shaving costs

I came to this thread to post an opinion on some matter that I've now forgotten since reading two compelling posts.

[Cue "Why Can't a Woman be More like a Man" from My Fair Lady.]

Why must any man have to explain his senisible buying habits to any female? We do not buy frivolous things. We buy power tools, weight benches, knives, motorcycles, muscle cars, firearms, multi-tools, and the shaving stuff for which we assemble here.

Women? Shoes. Manicures. Figurines. Potpurri. Country crafts. The Toyota Prius. Okay, yeah...lingerie, but moving along...

I a reminded of this classic joke:

A newlywed couple just moved into their new house. One day, the wife asked her husband, "Honey, one of the bathroom pipes is leaking. Could you fix it?"

The husband looked at his wife and said, "What do I look like -- Mr. Plumber?"

A few days went by, and his wife asked for a favor. "Honey, the car won't start. I think it needs a new battery. Could you change it for me?"

"What do I look like -- Mr. Goodwrench?"

A couple weeks later, the wife found a leak in the roof. "Honey, there's a leak on the roof. Can you please fix it?"

"What do I look like -- Bob Vila?" He sat down with a beer and watched a game on TV.

One rainy weekend, the husband realized the leak on the roof was gone. He went to the bathroom and found that the pipe behind the sink wasn't leaking anymore either.

When his wife returned home, the husband asked, "Honey, how come there aren't any more leaks and the car's running?"

She replied nonchalantly, "Oh, the other day I ran into one of our new neighbors, Jon. What a nice man. He came over and fixed everything.

"Wow, did he charge us anything?"

"No, he said he'd do it for free if I either baked him a cake or had sex with him."

"Cool. What kind of cake did you make?"

"Cake? What the hell do I look like -- Betty Crocker?"

A newlywed couple just moved into their new house. One day, the wife asked her husband, "Honey, one of the bathroom pipes is leaking. Could you fix it?"

A few days went by, and his wife asked for a favor. "Honey, the car won't start. I think it needs a new battery. Could you change it for me?"

A couple weeks later, the wife found a leak in the roof. "Honey, there's a leak on the roof. Can you please fix it?"

"What do I look like -- Bob Vila?" He sat down with a beer and watched a game on TV.

One rainy weekend, the husband realized the leak on the roof was gone. He went to the bathroom and found that the pipe behind the sink wasn't leaking anymore either.

When his wife returned home, the husband asked, "Honey, how come there aren't any more leaks and the car's running?"

She replied nonchalantly, "Oh, the other day I ran into one of our new neighbors, Jon. What a nice man. He came over and fixed everything.

"No, he said he'd do it for free if I either baked him a cake or had sex with him."

5 hours later...

proxy.php

Anytime you can shave with 100+ yr razors and blades that you can hone and strop yourself, with just a little training, you are far ahead of the game. It costs me about $.18/shave taking in account pre shave, soaps or creams, brushes, razors, blades and post shave equipment. I use a mixture of self made, brick and mortar and artisan equipment. Razors are mainly SE and DE that are from $15-$50. Brushes are boar, badger, horse and synthetic. Most are bought through good knowledgeable dealers for $35-$50.
All in all, one may say that I’m thoroughly entrenched in “my hobby”. So, shoot me. I’m having a marvelous time, so can you with some time and effort!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm here all week. Try the prime rib, and be sure to tip your waitress.

I know a lot of people compare shaving expenses with other hobby expenses but I don't find that to be an especially persuasive argument. Sure razors are cheaper than guitars or flying or scuba diving but it's just shaving. :)

If I spent $1,500 on a dry suit for diving does that mean paying $300 for a bottle of shampoo is "cheap"? :) I rest my case your honor. :)

I came over from cartridge razor shaving. With cartridge shaving the money is in the blades. With DE shaving the money is in the handle. I would rather have a nice handle that will last forever and cheaper DE blades which work just as good as cartridges.

I came over from cartridge razor shaving. With cartridge shaving the money is in the blades. With DE shaving the money is in the belief that one needs an artisan razor costing hundreds of $$, dozens of artisan soaps, artisan brushes and finally enough blades to shave a battalion for decades.

Fixed it for ya. :D ;)

Edwin Jagger DE89 - $28
tuck of 100 Bic Chrome Silver Blades - $15
Omega Boar Brush - $10
3 pack of Arko shave sticks - $6

These prices are rounded up to the next whole dollar from Amazon

For less than $60 you can purchase everything you need for AT LEAST 400 shaves, assuming you swap the blade out after 4 shaves. I can easily get 6 shaves out of this particular blade. This means 600 shaves. Roughly a dime per shave.

Do I shave this cheaply? no.
Could I reasonably shave this cheaply for the rest of my life, and be quite well shaven and presentable every day? YES!!!

Top Bottom