What's new

Fatip Grande. First shave. Meh.

I wanted to give the R41 another run around the block, before I replied to your post. As a matter of fact, I gave it two more outings with a fresh Feather, using my regular technique of one shave per side of the razor. This essentially gives me a fresh edge for each shave. But unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the R41 to work adequately for me.

My first shave was with my usual XTG/ATG modified 1 pass, with a 1/2 pass touch-up. I ran into the tugging and even some skipping when doing ATG right out of the box, resulting in several small nicks & weepers and a somewhat patchy shave. I was extremely disappointed.

Two days later for shave number 2, I decided to try a more conventional full 2 pass WTG/ATG shave, and this time I was rewarded with a very good DFS on the majority of my face. But again, I received several small nicks & weepers - only this time on the WTG initial pass! However, I must admit this shave was immensely better on ATG, and I received no new nicks or weepers on the ATG pass. I did rush the initial WTG pass a bit, and suspect that may have contributed to the nicks, though I'm not sure.

So while I'm still not happy, I am encouraged at having gotten what seems to be a pretty good shave with the R41, even if I still got bit by it. It seems like maybe as you've described, it just simply won't go ATG until after 1 or 2 non-ATG passes. This sucks of course, since I can fearlessly jump into a Piccolo shave ATG (with buffing), and pretty much be done in one easy, smooth, nick-free extended pass.

So guardedly encouraged, I'm going to give the R41 another couple of goes, using a Feather and a conventional 2 or 3 passes in the WTG/XTG/ATG format. If that don't tame it, I'll give it a try with my new Polsilvers, which I find extremely smooth and very reticent to cause nicks and weepers.

BTW, the next time you use your R41 in the "only a fresh Feather" mode, you might consider trying my technique of only using one side of the DE razor per shave. Like myself, you might like it and get to extend your "fresh Feather shave" to two shaves per blade - with no hassle at all!
That sounds like an interesting strategy, but how do you mark the side you have used?

That sounds like an interesting strategy, but how do you mark the side you have used?
So-far most of my razors either have some identifiable marking on the razor, or I can see the blade from underneath the razor through the cut-outs in the basepate.

For example in today's shave, the Feather blades have "Made in Japan" inked on them, and it can be easily seen through the cut-outs in the R41 baseplate (from the underside). So I reference when "Made in Japan" is read normally, and that's my "side one".

My Piccolo's baseplate underside has the Fatip logo on it, so when the logo reads correctly that's my Piccolo's "side one". My Yaqi DOC also has an imprint on the underside of the baseplate, as well.

However, I do use other blades for higher shave multiples than my Feathers. I also use the same "one side, one shave" technique for them, keeping track of the number-of-shaves-per-blade by a small die I lay by the head of each razor in my active rotation tray. The "first" razor sides will always be an odd shave number on the die, and the second sides will always be an even shave number. On the somewhat rare time I exceed 6 shaves on a given blade, I add another die.

I started this technique not just to get a fresh edge twice, but also to ensure I was using my higher-use blades evenly per side.

HTH.

So-far most of my razors either have some identifiable marking on the razor, or I can see the blade from underneath the razor through the cut-outs in the basepate.

For example in today's shave, the Feather blades have "Made in Japan" inked on them, and it can be easily seen through the cut-outs in the R41 baseplate (from the underside). So I reference when "Made in Japan" is read normally, and that's my "side one".

My Piccolo's baseplate underside has the Fatip logo on it, so when the logo reads correctly that's my Piccolo's "side one". My Yaqi DOC also has an imprint on the underside of the baseplate, as well.

However, I do use other blades for higher shave multiples than my Feathers. I also use the same "one side, one shave" technique for them, keeping track of the number-of-shaves-per-blade by a small die I lay by the head of each razor in my active rotation tray. The "first" razor sides will always be an odd shave number on the die, and the second sides will always be an even shave number. On the somewhat rare time I exceed 6 shaves on a given blade, I add another die.

I started this technique not just to get a fresh edge twice, but also to ensure I was using my higher-use blades evenly per side.

HTH.
It wouldn't work for me, since I disassemble the razor after each shave, but maybe, if I use only one side, maybe the soap markings left on the blade would remain only on the used side... Have to check that... Very interesting strategy, I will have to find a way to recognize used side...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wanted to give the R41 another run around the block, before I replied to your post. As a matter of fact, I gave it two more outings with a fresh Feather, using my regular technique of one shave per side of the razor. This essentially gives me a fresh edge for each shave. But unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the R41 to work adequately for me.

My first shave was with my usual XTG/ATG modified 1 pass, with a 1/2 pass touch-up. I ran into the tugging and even some skipping when doing ATG right out of the box, resulting in several small nicks & weepers and a somewhat patchy shave. I was extremely disappointed.

Two days later for shave number 2, I decided to try a more conventional full 2 pass WTG/ATG shave, and this time I was rewarded with a very good DFS on the majority of my face. But again, I received several small nicks & weepers - only this time on the WTG initial pass! However, I must admit this shave was immensely better on ATG, and I received no new nicks or weepers on the ATG pass. I did rush the initial WTG pass a bit, and suspect that may have contributed to the nicks, though I'm not sure.

So while I'm still not happy, I am encouraged at having gotten what seems to be a pretty good shave with the R41, even if I still got bit by it. It seems like maybe as you've described, it just simply won't go ATG until after 1 or 2 non-ATG passes. This sucks of course, since I can fearlessly jump into a Piccolo shave ATG (with buffing), and pretty much be done in one easy, smooth, nick-free extended pass.

So guardedly encouraged, I'm going to give the R41 another couple of goes, using a Feather and a conventional 2 or 3 passes in the WTG/XTG/ATG format. If that don't tame it, I'll give it a try with my new Polsilvers, which I find extremely smooth and very reticent to cause nicks and weepers.

BTW, the next time you use your R41 in the "only a fresh Feather" mode, you might consider trying my technique of only using one side of the DE razor per shave. Like myself, you might like it and get to extend your "fresh Feather shave" to two shaves per blade - with no hassle at all!

Yeah I can see that helping but at ~0.35c's CAD per blade and the technique required to use the R41 as comfortably as possible, like you suggest, why not just use a Fatip, or in my case, the MMOC. :)

The differences you're noticing in smoothness and increased chance of blood loss and caution needed I put down to the lack of blade rigidity. The blade in a Fatip is very stable as you know. That blade stability equates to predictability. The blade in an R41 isnt nearly as stable or predictable.

I wanted to try an R41 to see what all the excitement was about. I used it, I learned the best way to get the most from it and I know which blade I can use in it to get the best from it. In the end its like you say, Fatips are easier to use and for me, just as close shaving.

Neither however can touch the MMOC...

Yeah I can see that helping but at ~0.35c's CAD per blade and the technique required to use the R41 as comfortably as possible, like you suggest, why not just use a Fatip, or in my case, the MMOC. :)

The differences you're noticing in smoothness and increased chance of blood loss and caution needed I put down to the lack of blade rigidity. The blade in a Fatip is very stable as you know. That blade stability equates to predictability. The blade in an R41 isnt nearly as stable or predictable.

I wanted to try an R41 to see what all the excitement was about. I used it, I learned the best way to get the most from it and I know which blade I can use in it to get the best from it. In the end its like you say, Fatips are easier to use and for me, just as close shaving.

Well due to yourself and a few others, I've got "GEM Razor" on my list for sometime in the future. But I'm pretty backed-up with hardware and software, right now. I've still got a Colonial General SE to try with some AC blades!

Despite my Piccolo (and SLOC) love, it's not just about the quality of the shave though. I like having the occasional challenge of an aggressive razor. I'm going to start looking for a more aggressive OC razor for those occasions, but not sure where to start. I figure I'll start a thread on it here on B&B, when I'm ready to buy.

The question is... Is the blade as rigid in a Fatip or an MMOC as it is in a straight razor? [emoji23]

Is that where you're heading?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The question is... Is the blade as rigid in a Fatip or an MMOC as it is in a straight razor?
proxy.php

Is that where you're heading?

I've used a straight but nope, not heading into that hole. I cant even be bothered maintaining an edge on my knives never mind a razor lol.

It wouldn't work for me, since I disassemble the razor after each shave, but maybe, if I use only one side, maybe the soap markings left on the blade would remain only on the used side... Have to check that... Very interesting strategy, I will have to find a way to recognize used side...
Or, just orient the blade properly when removed, so you know which side is always #1, then leave a die there with a single dot showing (signifying one use).

I got into the habit of keeping track of the number of shaves on a given razor-blade combo, by using dice in just this manner. It's great. There's nothing to think of, even if I'm switching around with a half-dozen razors over the course of several months. Right by each razor laying in the razor tray on my counter, I have a die and the blade wrapper. One quick glance, and I immediately know the status of all the razors out on the counter, in terms of blade type and shave count. It works!

I got the dice idea here, but unfortunately do not remember which B&B member it was.

I'm loving my Fatip - just the bottom plate though. Top cap is now a Yintal Bronze and handle is a Russian titanium from rusdrunkbear on eBay. 87g total weight and perfect balance. A real pleasure to shave with.

View attachment 943590
I have the exact same handle on my fatip . Match made in heaven!
Wow, is that a beautiful handle! And the complete razor looks great, with the bronze cap.

Nice job! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The Fatip is an 'aggressive' (read: super-efficient) OC... Look no further [emoji4]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks.

But, I've go a Fatip OC (Piccolo). I love it. Though I only find it moderately aggressive. That's not to say it's "mild" - it's not! But rather, I would give it a '5' out of 10, with 10 being the most aggressive. Maybe I'd even go as a high as a 6.

But you are right in that it is highly efficient, and I also find it killer smooth.

I also have an SLOC, which is a solid step milder than the Piccolo. So what I'm looking for, is something to slot higher in aggressio than my Piccolo, maybe like an R41 or slightly less, but in an OC head. This would be my razor for when I want to have a challenging & deliberate shave.

I find my Piccolo not challenging at all, but that's not a complaint. It's a great midrange everyday shaver, that's smooth, safe, and efficient. It's a really great razor, and a great value, to be honest!

Top Bottom