What's new

Oil Change: Frequency?

We have 5 cars in our family none of which go over 18k annually. I use full synthetic in all of them and change in May and November. The timing is based on having semi-decent weather to change them in since I have to do it outside.

Sad but true, I replace my car battery more frequently than I change the oil. I've got a 2004 Accord with 45,000 miles and half of those miles were put on by 2007. As I may put 500 miles a year on the car, I sometimes let the oil go 2 years between changes (not good-I know). With our winters, I need to replace the battery every 1-1.5 years.

Sad but true, I replace my car battery more frequently than I change the oil. I've got a 2004 Accord with 45,000 miles and half of those miles were put on by 2007. As I may put 500 miles a year on the car, I sometimes let the oil go 2 years between changes (not good-I know). With our winters, I need to replace the battery every 1-1.5 years.

Condensation potential requires oil changes even when not driven

Current Toyota is still on a new car free and paid in advance service plan, so whatever Toyota emails and tells me to do.

Before that I had a 2004 Nissan Murano that I always used full synthetic oil in, and I would say I changed maybe every 7k, with new oil filter every time. That engine was known to have a relatively undersized oil filter and I considered putting on an after market larger adapter and filter. As I recall, this engine was known for developing front gummed up valve lifter problems. In part I was hoping to forestall that problem. On-line sources indicate that sticky lifters rarely develop with full synthetic oil. I managed to get 185k out of the car with no engine problems, so I might have made the correct call. (My Nissan dealer actually discouraged me from using synthetic oil. My Nissan dealer did a lot of things highly questionable things!)

As I have indicated in other posts, I have been following Scotty Kilmer's You Tube videos lately. He seems to recommend different oil change intervals (and I suppose types of oil as to whether full synthetic or not) based on the type of engine. For instance, I think he recommends full synthetic and 3k intervals for most gasoline direct injection ("GDI") engines, because such engines tend to clog the valves because the gasoline does not tend to wash the valves as happens in other types of engines. (Toyota (Ford, too, maybe) apparently builds in something--that is, port injection along with direct injection--to help keep valves free of carbon build up.) I am not sure why oil changes would help keep valves clean. Maybe fresh oil burns cleaner and is less clogging. In any event, it makes sense to me that some engine styles would benefit from frequent oil changes more than other engine styles, and I would not trust the manufacturers to tell us which ones. Oil changes are cheap compared to engine overhauls. When this Toyota goes off the manufacturer's plan, I am going to research oil changes for it a lot more. I think it requires a high end synthetic oil in any event.

I go by what the owner's manual or milage minder says. For some cars thats 3K for others thats 12K. For example, my wife drives a Hyundai Tucson and it says to do it every 3K and I dont question that because its a turbo and a turbo puts a lot of stress on the oil. In the case of my Honda Accord, its not a turbo and it says to change it every 12K (or when the milage minder tells you to change it) and I trust that because Ive pulled the dipstick after 10K and the oil didnt look super dark.

3,000 miles for me. I do mostly city driving and never more than 10K miles per year. My current vehicle is 14 years old without a sign of the engine going out. At this point I'm curious to see how far she'll go.

Current Toyota is still on a new car free and paid in advance service plan, so whatever Toyota emails and tells me to do.

My wife took her RAV4 into Toyota for its 1st (free) 6 mos service at 2200 mi in January and they didn't change the oil. Service mgr told her it wasn't needed until the next service. I thought that was weird. In the 1960's the mindset was to get that initial oil changed ASAP.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
1997 Ford Ranger. I just changed it today. My odometer doesn’t work but I put 360 miles a week on it driving to/from work. I figure 3 months (12 weeks) to/from work is 4,320 miles. Add in some other light driving when I’m off work. So I change it every 3-4 months. It needs it to by that time. It was black today. I just use O’Reilly High Millage oil and Wix oil filter. Nothing fancy - it’s just an ole beater.

A new car I just wait for the “change oil soon” light to pop up. I had a couple Ford sedans that would go 10k miles before telling me to change the oil, which is when I did it.

I drive a diesel Nissan Quasqai.
Manufacturer suggests an oil change every 30.000 kilometres or when the car's computer tells me so .
I have driven 20.000 so I have 10.000 more to go.
Unless the car's computer says otherwise.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My wife took her RAV4 into Toyota for its 1st (free) 6 mos service at 2200 mi in January and they didn't change the oil. Service mgr told her it wasn't needed until the next service. I thought that was weird. In the 1960's the mindset was to get that initial oil changed ASAP.

Does the owners manual have a maintenance schedule? Usually OC's are mileage or time, whichever comes first. I wouldn't be surprised if your time interval is 1 year or 5-10k miles. So next service.

I wouldn't worry about break in service for the oil. This ain't the 60's

Oil and engines are both better than they have ever been. Cars used to be worn out at 100k miles. Now, they are just getting broken in at 100k.

I have one vehicle that is 25 years old. Even back then, its owners manual called for 7500 mile oil changes with dino oil for normal use and 3750 oil changes for severe use.

My newest vehicle has a OLM. It has 3500 miles on the oil in it and is still showing 58% of its life left.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Things have changed, as have my driving habits. I used to change mine every 3000 miles, even had my own ramps to facilitate the changes. Then the Company provided cars for 25 years, while the oil life and tolerances improved ..

Now in retirement I drive maybe 5K a year in a newer lease vehicle, so changes are made at the recommended intervals, when the idiot light tells me otherwise. After 25 years of servicing by Company garages, I started with a local business 10 years ago (somehow lost those ramps along the road). Had it done today in fact, the guy recognized me but said he hadn't seen me in a while and thought maybe I'd passed ..

in my honda I run full synthetic royal purple and change it every 3000 miles... My subaru on the other hand I let the dealership handle that one and get it done every 3 month's or 5k miles taking her for her second oil change this saturday just broke 8k miles on it :)

Things have changed, as have my driving habits. I used to change mine every 3000 miles, even had my own ramps to facilitate the changes. Then the Company provided cars for 25 years, while the oil life and tolerances improved ..

Now in retirement I drive maybe 5K a year in a newer lease vehicle, so changes are made at the recommended intervals, when the idiot light tells me otherwise. After 25 years of servicing by Company garages, I started with a local business 10 years ago (somehow lost those ramps along the road). Had it done today in fact, the guy recognized me but said he hadn't seen me in a while and thought maybe I'd passed ..

Oy

Im at about a 4500 mile interval. Full synthetic.

I dont personally think oil or gas is the right place to save a buck. If you want to save money on your commute car-pool or take public transit or even better walk (which is what I did in every city before moving to Texas where someone would probably run you over on principal).

My dad was a 100 mile a day commuter almost 40 years. He changed his oil between 5 and 10k using whatever dino oil was on sale. He never had an engine failure and drove all of his cars until everything else was shot. I can guarantee he used the cheapest gas in town, too.

Top Bottom