What's new

Pressure Drop

The minute I wrote "pressure," the song title came into my head, so Pressure Drop it is.

What I wanted to mention is that I've read the recommendation many, many times to apply very little pressure while shaving, and I thought I was, but man what a revelation this morning it was when I really paid close attention to my pressure and discovered I have been applying to much pressure this whole time! Been wet shaving since last December. I got a waaaay better shave on my neck using very, very, little pressure. I mean I really had to resist but it made such a huge difference this morning. I was actually able to shave ATG on my neck and not be irritated. I mean that is huge. Now let's see if I can reproduce the same effect next time! Always learning. Shave on.

I think every shaver has to come to this moment in their own time.

I had a similar moment, and I've read several others as well. Lots of "I'm not using any pressure" suddenly turns in to "Oh, THAT'S what they meant by no pressure" which results in an instantaneous improvement in shave quality.

Required a specific razor to teach me the lesson for all the rest. The combination of a large head assembly with a very smooth surface texture produced a large sliding surface area. The soft smoothness made it easy to lay the top of the razor flat on my skin, the blade leading but very much parallel to the skin. Just the lightest tuck in to start shaving and with a wee bit of practice, my what a wonderful shave. For the life of me just now I can't remember the name. It's a modern piece of art from Germany and I ended up ordering direct from the Mfg. ... tisk, I'll come back some day and put it down here. But surely, you'll find one razor which will teach you the sensation for all the rest.

So glad you had a great shave this morning. And you're right, next up is reproducing the no pressure mantra in future shaves. But one great thing about our pastime, we get to practice every day! Enjoy!

I quit using my Gillette Slim because of the irritation and went back to my Merkur. A year or so later I decided to try it again with less pressure (little more than the weight of the razor itself) and realized I had really been pushing too hard on it before.

It is indeed a revelation gents. Like you all mention - you think you are applying no pressure until you discover - you're still applying pressure!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yes, less is best. It can be hard to keep that mantra when we chop and change our razors that have different weights. But it is true. Less is best.

@ajkel64 True. I’m still trying to master my Merkur 25c. It has such a small blade gap that my tendency was to bear down. But nope. Gotta do the opposite

Top Bottom