What's new

Expensive Cigar Discussion

What is the most expensive cigar you've smoked? What about currently in your humidor? Why did you buy it? Why did you smoke it? In the case of the one in your humidor, when will you smoke it?

Now that I have a collection of cheap(er) cigars that I enjoy ($2-3 on cigarbid), and I am starting to expand my collection into some higher priced items. For me, that is the $7-10 range (or $4-6 range on cigarbid...), the likes of My Father, San Cristobal, Perdomo 10th/20th anniversary. But I am noticing there are some cigars that are just not obtainable at inexpensive prices. Such as Padron or Liga Privada t52. And other cigars are even costlier...$20...$30 or more for a single cigar. As a cigar smoker, at what point do I consider such luxury? Why? Is it "worth" it?

Just asking for opinions and discussion. Without ever having tried a very expensive ($20+) cigar, I feel there must be huge diminishing returns. Let me know what you guys think.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
After a Cigar costs, say, 8.00, I can’t really tell if it’s a 15.00, 20.00 or more cigar. However sometimes knowing the Cigar I am smoking is expensive can add to the experience.

Padron 1926 Series, No. 1 Natural (Churchill).

I’ve never seen it less than $20/stick. I smoked my first one at my best friend’s daughter’s wedding with that best friend about 7 years ago. I always keep some in my humidor. I give them as gifts to those who know good cigars.

I have some ready to spark up with my best friend, my daughter, her future husband and his dad at the kids’ wedding next month. They all enjoy good cigars. Lucky me!

I like AVO cigars. The usually cost about $12 a stick. The other day, I decided to try a Julius Caesar at $21 a stick. I have to be honest, I prefer the AVO. I'm also a fan of the Rocky Patel Edge (5 for $25) and enjoy those. I don't believe that the more expensive cigars are necessarily better than a cheaper one. I also don't get more satisfaction for joy from a cigar because of what I paid for it.

The Padron 1926 was the cigar that sent me down this rabbit hole. I do hear a lot of good things about it, so I suppose I'll have to try one at some point. Don't think I've ever had any Padron cigars.
@PreachTheWord Never had an AVO, what's your favorite? I'll add it to my list to try.

I like the AVO Classic or an AVO XO. They have a new one out called the Ritmo, but in my opinion, it's a letdown and lacks in complexity. YMMV.

You don’t know what you’re missing if you haven’t tried one, lol. Once upon a time I was perfectly happy smoking JR Ultimates and the occasional Romeo Julieta. I was introduced to Avo’s and Davidoff by my ex son in-law. He was a Davidoff sales rep. He always had a sample for me to try. Birthday, Fathers Day and Christmas always resulted in very nice gifts of Davidoff cigars. Occasionally I will by a single. Well, I did just recently buy a box of Davidoff Winston Churchill’s from an overseas store and am eagerly awaiting delivery.

Why Davidoff? I must say that the tobacco is well aged of great quality. They are considered Super Premium. Are they worth it? Only you can decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never seen it less than $20/stick. I smoked my first one at my best friend’s daughter’s wedding with that best friend about 7 years ago. I always keep some in my humidor. I give them as gifts to those who know good cigars.

I have some ready to spark up with my best friend, my daughter, her future husband and his dad at the kids’ wedding next month. They all enjoy good cigars. Lucky me!

Please don't mention the 1926. It's a tasty stick that I wish I could afford to smoke all the time.

You don’t know what you’re missing if you haven’t tried one, lol. Once upon a time I was perfectly happy smoking JR Ultimates and the occasional Romeo Julieta. I was introduced to Avo’s and Davidoff by my ex son in-law. He was a Davidoff sales rep. He always had a sample for me to try. Birthday, Fathers Day and Christmas always resulted in very nice gifts of Davidoff cigars. Occasionally I will by a single. Well, I did just recently buy a box of Davidoff Winston Churchill’s from an overseas store and am eagerly awaiting delivery.

Why Davidoff? I must say that the tobacco is well aged of great quality. They are considered Super Premium. Are they worth it? Only you can decide.

If you are going to treat yourself and want to spend the $$, the Davidoff RR is the way to go!

Drew Estate Liga family of cigars are excellent as well. I believe they’re also worth every penny.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I smoked a Cohiba Majestuosos 50 Anniversary cigar. Probably my most expensive to date. It was a very nice, smooth and enjoyable smoke. No draw issues etc. I dont know that i would necessarilyu do that again considering the cost.

You know something? I really hate you guys (as I skulk off to the cigar shop for a Liga Privada #9). Now you are making me purchase expensive cigar!!!!!!:taz:

You know something? I really hate you guys (as I skulk off to the cigar shop for a Liga Privada #9). Now you are making me purchase expensive cigar!!!!!!:taz:
I posted this to either get these higher priced cigars out of my head, or get myself pumped up enough to buy some. The latter is happening, and you are collateral damage. I'd apologize, but you've been here long enough to know better than to come here to save money.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
La Aurora Preferidos Diamond. I can’t recall how much I paid but it was around 20 bucks I think. J.R. Cigars has an 8pk for $142 which makes it around 17 from them. I got it from Little Havana Cigar Factory while in Miami so I’m sure it was closer to the $20+ price. I was down there for a friends wedding and vacation so I splurged. It was good but if it had been $5 or $500 I wouldn’t have known the difference. Me and 3 other friends smoked our cigars and enjoyed some brews on the balcony of the hotel room while it poured down rain. It was good day!

Great memory @Toothpick. I love having a smoke while watching the rain. Location, company, and surrounding events can have a big impact on how a cigar feels.

I love Cuban cigars and for years was hooked on them. I could get them from a friend who traveled a lot.

Since getting married and having five children though I've found that I like Nicaraguan cigars nearly as much.

I buy bundles of them from a local supplier and I'm happy. If budget allows and circumstances allow I'll buy Cubans as a rare treat.

Chris

Padron, Davidoff, and Cuban Cohiba’s are among the most expensive cigars I’ve smoked and kept in my humidor. Usually reserved for special occasions. Birthday, promotion, Christmas, etc. It’s the same feeling as using a premium shaving brush, drinking a glass of well aged scotch, or driving a sports car on a Sunday. Pure luxury and enjoyment. As far as diminishing returns, certainly likely in my opinion. But you’re also paying for the name on the band, the history and pedigree of the company, hand rolled, and (usually) top notch construction which you might not get with a cheaper cigar.
Padron 1926 and 1964 along with their more budget friendly thousand series are all excellent in every regard for me.

Top Bottom