What's new

Darning Socks.

Darning Socks

• Total voters

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone darn holes in their socks like I do? I can make a pair of socks last quite a long time by darning any holes. I must admit though that when a hole appears on the sole or underside of the sock they become rags as I do not like standing/walking on a darned hole. I am quite happy to darn the toes of the socks and my Explorer socks last me for years. What do you fellow members do? Do you toss or do you darn?

my holes tend to be ball of foot or heel. so i toss right now. Looked into darning but the holes and threadbare areas dont really look as mendable as some of the holes ive seen mended on YT look.

I've been wearing only wool socks for a number of years now, Darn Tough brand, they're becoming shear at the back of the heel and ball of foot after years of wearing but they've never developed holes.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I notice a hole in one of my socks, I do not swear.

... I say "darn".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Another joke from @Doc4

proxy.php

Mental Fluff:

The above clip came from the episode of Laugh-In that aired Monday, November 4, 1968. That was the day before the 1968 election. Laugh-In had high viewership, and it's thought that these few seconds may have helped Nixon win the election.

Sometimes I darn my socks; sometimes I don't. It depends on time and the size of the hole. I have one of those wooden darning eggs, but I use thread instead of a yarn. I have some with small holes that I've been intending to darn for weeks now. Since I wear the same type each day, I start pairing good socks to delay replacement/darning as long as possible.

One of my grandfathers turned to DIY re-soling for his family. Dimly remember seeing one of the metal shoe forms he used.

Chalk this up to fatigue, but yesterday evening wondered about DIY shoemaking. That faded as soon as I realized it would require specialized tools, which equals expense. That doesn't even get into material and labor.

Been wearing Darn Tough socks for years. Only had to return one and the company replaced it for free.

Regarding my other socks that I have, when they go... I toss.

Darn Tough... rocks!

I consider socks to be disposable items that wear out over a period of time. They are inexpensive enough that I don't have any interest in extending their lifespan. When I get holes in my socks, I just throw them out. When my sock drawer starts looking bare, I go buy a new pack from a department store.

With that being said, I can still appreciate the mindset of repairing things instead of replacing them. For a more substantial item like a pair of pants, I would much prefer to patch a hole than to toss it out. Though I generally find that by the time I wear holes into pants, they are looking ragged enough that they need to be replaced, anyway. For socks, I just can't be bothered enough to spend a lot of time and effort on sewing, when it's an inexpensive item that wears out frequently to begin with.

Top Bottom