What's new

Is BBS everyday healthy?

BBS or not, I really would like to get shaving down to a 5-10 minute thing.

Right now, I take more time to clean my razor and the rest of the gear
than actual shaving....at least 30+ mins from start to finish.

Ah the glory days of leaving my Sally’s DE in the shower.

Went into todays shave determined not to hang around buffing every mm
trying for BBS. Went WTG, ATG and one XTG on the neck area....total
time taken: 5 minutes...result was almost as good as my usual BBS shave ritual.

My previous mantra was 'no hair left behind"

New mantra: if it is, let's pick it up on tomorrows shave.

My face certainly thanks me for it...less tender for sure.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do a 3 pass BBS daily with no problems.

Since you are getting no irritation I can't imagine it's a problem. For me the afternoon pass is going a little too far, but you're not me.

I do wonder if you're drying out your skin. I don't know what soap you're using, or what post shave treatment. I have dry skin and use a moisturizer/balm after each shave. You may well want to try that as it seems the condition you are describing is dry skin.

Used the Type E Schick today. ATG on neck and corners, two passes WTG. Very satisfying. Schick got it right with this ‘35-‘45 design.

I do a 3 pass BBS daily with no problems.

Since you are getting no irritation I can't imagine it's a problem. For me the afternoon pass is going a little too far, but you're not me.

I do wonder if you're drying out your skin. I don't know what soap you're using, or what post shave treatment. I have dry skin and use a moisturizer/balm after each shave. You may well want to try that as it seems the condition you are describing is dry skin.

My skin is extremely dry after any shave especially BBS, almost flaky. I use a thick universal cream (Arko) after the AS. However with WTG only although my skin is also very dry but I can get away without using the cream only the AS and after 3 hours of dryness the face will get back to normal.

Fred Mitchell the enterprising pharmacist in Bradford England recognised the effects of daily shaving and its effect on the skin. I know a bit of Fred's family, since they attended the same church as I did, and I have done some research into Fred's, life since I live close to Bradford.

Evidently, Fred noticed in the early part of the 20th century that wool sorters, working in many of Bradford's woollen mills had such lovely skin and hands whilst working day after day in rough and manually intensive arduous conditions . He discovered and concluded it was due to contact with the lanolin in the sheep fleeces on their skin and their hands. Hence, he marketed a range of lanolin based hand soap products including the famous MWF shaving soap. (The products can be purchased from the company's website direct from Bradford, note there's no online ordering, but orders can be placed either by telephone or mail)

If that's what lanolin can do for for the hands just think of what it can do for your face

Let's learn from history !

I put up a clock in my bathroom as my shaves have been too long. Doesn't help but I'm relaxed once I'm out of the bathroom

I am 55 and have been DE shaving EVERY day since 1980.
ALWAYS a five minute ,four pass totally BBS shave.I only use canned shaving foam and shave after my daily hot shower.
I always finish with an ALCOHOL based AS.
Every day for all these years.
I have the skin of a 25 year old,no wrinkles and most people think that I am not more than 40.
My skin is soft and smooth as a baby's with zero problems.
BUT I have the typical TANK like dark MEDITERRANEAN skin of the people born in southern Europe.
What type of skin do YOU have?

There is nothing more IRRESPONSIBLE than giving or ACCEPTING MEDICAL advice to/from TOTAL strangers on a forum.

Go see a dermatologist who will advise you after taking a look at YOUR skin,YOUR skin not mine or anybody else's in this forum.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My skin is extremely dry after any shave especially BBS, almost flaky. I use a thick universal cream (Arko) after the AS. However with WTG only although my skin is also very dry but I can get away without using the cream only the AS and after 3 hours of dryness the face will get back to normal.

There is no better way to exfoliate your skin than shaving. For some people this is just fine - they even use an aftershave loaded with alcohol and it's a good regiment for their face.

For my skin a moisturizer is required. I also use Thayer's with aloe daily before the moisturizer. Obviously only one pass produces a third of the exfoliation. It's an easy enough experiment to use moisturizer after your shave for a while to see if it solves the problem.

I am 55 and have been DE shaving EVERY day since 1980.
ALWAYS a five minute ,four pass totally BBS shave.I only use canned shaving foam and shave after my daily hot shower.
I always finish with an ALCOHOL based AS.
Every day for all these years.
I have the skin of a 25 year old,no wrinkles and most people think that I am not more than 40.
My skin is soft and smooth as a baby's with zero problems.
BUT I have the typical TANK like dark MEDITERRANEAN skin of the people born in southern Europe.
What type of skin do YOU have?

There is nothing more IRRESPONSIBLE than giving or ACCEPTING MEDICAL advice to/from TOTAL strangers on a forum.

Go see a dermatologist who will advise you after taking a look at YOUR skin,YOUR skin not mine or anybody else's in this forum.

While being born in southern Europe i have a lighter, dry skin.

There is no better way to exfoliate your skin than shaving. For some people this is just fine - they even use an aftershave loaded with alcohol and it's a good regiment for their face.

For my skin a moisturizer is required. I also use Thayer's with aloe daily before the moisturizer. Obviously only one pass produces a third of the exfoliation. It's an easy enough experiment to use moisturizer after your shave for a while to see if it solves the problem.

Actually I do use an alcohol based aftershave. I have tried moisturizer (the fat cream) and it works for dry skin however I found out that after 3 hours after the shave it feel the same whether I used it or not (skin returns to normal).

Years ago I made it my goal to get zero feedback from the alum block after my daily shave. For a while that meant settling for less than BBS. As my technique got better and I found the tools that really work for me, I realized I could get BBS every day and still get zero feedback from the alum. So I think the key to making your face happy is avoiding constant irritation. You can get a great shave without the irritation but it'll take time to develop the technique that works for you.
Golden words my friend

UPDATE:
Yesterday I went to the doctor just to check about this very topic. She said that my face looked perfectly normal however that I should use more cream and not let it be dry. She recommends shaving WTG only for everyday use to most people stating that it is the easiest way to avoid razor burn but didn't complain about my BBS.
Twice a day everyday is overdoing it. That should only be reserved for important occasions and not for every day.

BTW today i shaved my grandfather's face since he isn't able to do it himself anymore. I used a Wilkinson Sword razor with SuperMax yellow blades, and Domino shaving cream. It was a full BBS, a real one. He said that it was the best shave of his life. Couldn't stop faceturbating LOL! XD

Top Bottom