What's new

rockwell 2c or the 6c

hi im on a budget and was looking at the Rockwell range now how different is the 2c from the 6c I know with the 6 you get more adjustment bases . but my question is are they that different in the shave, and can I get the extra bases for the 2c . pricing difference is £23 for the 2c and £38.50 for the 6c so please help with this .

I don't have any of the models, but I would suggest get the 6c. 6c has different level of blade gaps and you will find your preference for sure . You will avoid any buying remorse instead of getting the 2c.

From friends who regularly use a 6c or 6s, I’ve come to understand that 3, 4, and 5 are pretty average range for great shaves, 1 & 2 are about useless, and 6 doesn’t have enough efficiency over 5 to bother with.

I say go for the 6c!

ok thanks have to wait a bit longer then as I have to justify it to she who must be obeyed but if I wait I can hide the extra and say it was on sale .

I'd rather get a Fatip open comb - Piccolo or Grande. Made of brass and a nicer shave. Cheap too. I've had that and the 6C. Sold the 6C. It's a decent razor, although made of zamak, and there's a choice of plates. Forget the 2C, far too mild and you can't get the extra plates separately as far as I know.

I'd rather get a Fatip open comb - Piccolo or Grande. Made of brass and a nicer shave.

The Fatip OC is also an extraordinarily different razor. If it’s better suited to you, then that’s great. But for most people, I’d say it’s complimentary to the 6C rather than a replacement.

As for the 2C vs 6C, I’d say go with the 6C. The R3 cap is great, but not having access to the others kind of defeats the purpose of the Rockwell.

The R1 cap on the flip-side of the R3 is seemingly intended for body shaving. It’s definitely too mild to get a good result for most people. So with the 2C you basically just get one option.

If you’ve got the cash, I’d agree with this. The 6S is indestructible and will still be usable when dig up by archaeologists in the distant future.

+2! Better investment in the long run, provided the razor suits you!! :a14::a14:

Forget the 2C, far too mild and you can't get the extra plates separately as far as I know.

You're right about the 2C being too mild. Actually plates are sold separately on their site, but cost almost as much as a 6C. Plus Gunmetal are sold out with no ETA.

I just went the 6C upgrade to get the plates and will most likely use the rest to convert another cartridge shaver .

For the people with the 6 series. Do you actually swap out the plates for different shaves? I’m tempted to grab a Rockwell but not sure if swapping plates is what I really want to keep doing, and what if I misplace one??

Do you actually swap out the plates for different shaves?

I find different plates suit different blades (R3 for sharper ones, R4 for moderate ones) and different conditions.

For example, it’s really cold, dry weather here right now, so I’ve dropped down to R3 to go easier on my face.

But to be honest, to me, R1 and R2 seem of limited use, and R5/R6 don’t get a lot of use. Most likely you’ll find the two plates that suit you and stick to them.

With the 6S the weight becomes a factor, since stainless is one of the heavier razor metals with brass. The 6S weight of 113g is typical of high end razors, which can easily go to 130g or beyond with longer handles. So it's your choice whether to go over 100g. Some like it and some don't. Myself, I'm strictly under 100g. Any more than that and I fit a titanium handle to bring the weight down and balance better with the head.

So a case can be made for the 6C just using the head on an aftermarket handle, like a Bulldog or preferably a nice titanium handle. I got a titanium handle for mine because the thread failed on the 6C zamak handle, just turned round and round, and this has been reported by a few others as well. The base plates don't matter being zamak since there's no thread to go, so they'll last. The 2-stud top cap is widely used, and you can use a brass top cap from a Yintal Bronze or other if you need to. The top cap needs a longer thread since the plates are deeper.

Having said all this I moved from 6C on to Gillette Old Types, then Fatip OC and finally Muhle R41. Each was a step up and the R41 is so good with a titanium handle I don't need anything better. It's on offer at WCS for $35 which is a bargain. It's efficient so you need to like efficient razors. Cuts very close and leaves your face smooth and stubble free.

I have a 6s and have found that plate 3 works best for me so I would buy the 2c. Unfortunately you don't know what plate works best for you so I would go with the 6c. It's unfortunate because, for me, once I found the right plate I never change it.

I have a 6s and have found that plate 3 works best for me so I would buy the 2c. Unfortunately you don't know what plate works best for you so I would go with the 6c. It's unfortunate because, for me, once I found the right plate I never change it.

Yes, as above, when you find the right level of efficiency you don't really need to fiddle around with it. With the 6C I generally read plates 4 or 5 on threads, sometimes 6, and sometimes 6 isn't efficient enough and you move on to a R41 etc. Also depends on blades - Feathers are sometimes used to make medium razors more efficient because they're very sharp.

I would go for a 6c...
Far more options, but still affordable.
If it's possible try to get a 6s, maybe on bst here...

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

I have the 6C. I pretty much only use the 5 plate. I think you can purchase plates, top cap and handle all separately on the Rockwell site.

I have the 2c. Plate 1 is literally useless, get the 6c. I regret not buying it. It was my first razor so I didn't want to spend much on a hobby I didn't know much about.

Top Bottom