What's new

preshaves

I recently bought a pre shave gel. The brand is the grooming dept pre shave. I had never used a preshave before.
I rubbed some onto my beard as directed. I disliked the sticky feel of the product. However, I went on with my shave vowing to never use the pre shave again

Later I noticed that my face felt smoother. I do not yet know if it was the preshave or just my imagination.

So, what do preshaves do? and do they all feel thick and sticky. I know that grooming dept is a respected brand, but I am totally in the dark about pre shaves

sometime give a try to using transparent glycerin bar soap for preshave.
simply rub it onto wet whiskers, lather with your brush and rinse lightly.
then proceed with your regular shave soap.
preshaves are intended to moisten whiskers as well as lubricate the face for smoother shave.

If it’s thick and sticky, you may want to add a bit of water.

For me, the GD Preshave increases the slickness of a soap, and adds to how my face feels after my shave. I never used a Preshave until I got the Grooming Department Preshave, now I use it every day.

Just bought the GD preshave a few days back - yes it is very sticky and does not seem to spread out very well. I am still learning to use it properly but already experiencing how good it is. Apply on a moist face, not a wet one. I would dab my face with a towel to get my face almost dry before starting. Wet your fingers a little at a time to help with spreading it around. Keep adding a few drops of water to help to massage it for an ENTIRE minute. It is a thirsty preshave and does take up a lot of water. Between passes, try not rubbing it off - just lightly wash off the lather.

On onto the question of other preshaves - the only one that has worked for me is the Proraso pre-shave and I was looking for an equally effective alternative. Try the Proraso next, it is much easier to handle.

Somehow liquid/oil preshaves never work for me so the fact that GD is sticky does not bother me yet.

1. GD Preshave requires more water. It shouldn't be sticky.

2. Preshaves can do a number of things
A. Numb the face
B. Moisturize the face
C. Lubricate the face
D. Burn the Face through an allergic reaction
E. or do Nothing.

I currently use Proraso preshave because it smells good, Makes my face smooth, Cools it with menthol, and doesn't give me an allergic reaction. I will go back to Noxzema when my big tub runs out.

The scents in GD preshave actually burned me. I traded them to a B&B'er for some Myrsol Antesol.

I have Proraso and like it, but use Cremo Bourbon in a tube. Although it’s a cream, I just use a small pea sized amount on each side of my face, jaw and neck.

Both probably rehydrate to some degree, but I like the slippery substrata with great coverage. I use it on Weekends when I use a straight razor and use Neutrogena face wash with a pumice in it to exfoliate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought a pre shave gel. The brand is the grooming dept pre shave. I had never used a preshave before.
I rubbed some onto my beard as directed. I disliked the sticky feel of the product. However, I went on with my shave vowing to never use the pre shave again

Later I noticed that my face felt smoother. I do not yet know if it was the preshave or just my imagination.

So, what do preshaves do? and do they all feel thick and sticky. I know that grooming dept is a respected brand, but I am totally in the dark about pre shaves

I don't use pre-shaves as well, I find them to be a hassle, but if it will provide more skin food, then I am interested. I am actually curious about GD's.

What soap did you use it with?

I've become a big fan of pre-shaves and have been giving as many as I can a try - within reason.

Proraso Green and Edwin Jagger work the same way for me - they cool the face and seemingly make the whiskers a bit more ridged and therefore easier to reach lower on. I honestly feel my post-face feels better, and my first pass is closer. I love them both. Not a fan of the Proraso Red.

They say that Geo T. Trumper's Coral Skin Food can be used as a pre - It makes my face feel better, no doubt, but I don't think it does anything to give me a closer shave.

AoS oil - love the scent. I just don't think it does anything to make the shave any better. A little more slick maybe. Not sure it does anything for the post shave smooth face thing either.

This stuff though!! Baume.Be's pre-shave gel is awesome!

proxy.php
proxy.php

I'm loving it the most! It makes my face feel great and I'm convinced it makes for a closer initial shave.

I doubt that this, the Baume.Be, and the Edwin Jagger for a little change now and again will ever not be in my rotation. I really like em a lot.

Just to add to what everyone else has said, for me there are two main reasons to use a pre shave.

1. Moisturize the Skin.
For those of us with dry skin, a daily BBS shave is tough on the skin. A pre shave like Mickey Lee's is primarily coconut oil and is a semi-solid at room temperature. It is very thick and moisturizing - so thick that it has a tendency to clog the razor. It does amazing things for the skin. Not sure it improves the quality of the shave.

2. Add Slickness.
Oils help a bit, but in my opinion glycerin is the key to improving slickness. I used to buy the fancy stuff but now I simply go to the lotion isle of Whole Foods and try a few high quality skin lotions. There are always samples to try and it doesn't take but a second to identify a slick lotion. Good combination of slickness and moisturizing. Does not interfere with the shave soap. And, the bonus is that even buying an expensive place like Whole Foods, the cost of buying a fancy lotion is a fraction the cost of buying an artisan pre shave. Even the fanciest lotion costs less than 1/2 the price per oz of the typical artisan pre shave and works just as well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Personally I have not had much success using pre shave treatments. I don’t use them but they do work for many members and may work for you if you find the one that suits you.

I use Cremo in the tube and really like it as it increases slickness. A little goes a long way.
I also sometimes use a DIY (lots of good recipes online) preshave oil which really works well. I think preshaves are beneficial.

I want to add: I’ve tried two preshave oils and they didn’t work out for me. They just made me break out and seemed to harm the slickness of the lather.

I use taconic pre shave oil and I can definitely feel the difference when I shave my head. The second pass is especially slick.

Pre shaves are not for everyone indeed as a co-worker flat out said they were a waste of money..lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use preshave oil so that my face is a bit more supple before shaving, and I believe it helps me avoid nicks and cuts. I have old, dry skin which generally cuts very easily (not just my face and not just shaving), so the extra moisturizing step is helpful. That said, when I've forgotten to bring when travelling, I didn't cut myself to ribbons.

I now mix my own. It's mostly jojoba oil, with some grapeseed oil, a few drops of glycerin and some essential oil - currently lemongrass.

Interesting thread!

I had little success with preshave products, so I don’t use them. This really shows how YMMV is the rule!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Water is my preshave.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
No pre-shave products here. I tried some years ago and they either caused breakouts (oils) or I saw no benefit. YMMV!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I use GD pre just a very little bit on a dry brush, wet my face and spread it around then wet the brush a little and face lather it
it make a great lather just needs water
I clean the brush and lather my SOTD
I really like it and feel the difference in the shave
YMMV

Top Bottom