What's new

Blade Rigidity vs. The Realities of Skin

...I did try a couple SE razors a few years back but found the heads to be too long for my liking. I prefer smaller, easier to wield in my opinion with my shaving style...

Buy a used vintage Schick injector which uses SE injector blades that are not as wide as the ungainly "windshield wiper" AC type blades. The injector razor was/is simply a better "mousetrap" and more maneuverable than a DE. As well, getting the blade angle correct is virtually idiot proof.

Buy a used vintage Schick injector which uses SE injector blades that are not as wide as the ungainly "windshield wiper" AC type blades. The injector razor was/is simply a better "mousetrap" and more maneuverable than a DE. As well, getting the blade angle correct is virtually idiot proof.

I do like idiot proof 'cause sometime I can be an... :crazy:

Kind of makes me wonder about those shavettes, I really don't know much about them but don't they use a de blade at least some of them?

Kind of makes me wonder about those shavettes, I really don't know much about them but don't they use a de blade at least some of them?

I've only seen the Razorine shavette that uses a DE blade. Never tried it. My only experiences with shavettes have been in the hands of barbers shaving my head. I've never gotten a good shave with one of those. Probably has more to do with the barber rather than the razor. Those experiences have made it so I never wanted to pursue a shavette in my stable.

Shavettes hold the blade firmly very close to the edge. I'm suggesting having it flop in the breeze and see how close you can shave with it.

Shavettes hold the blade firmly very close to the edge. I'm suggesting having it flop in the breeze and see how close you can shave with it.
yeah I know what you're suggesting good luck getting somebody to do that though not going to be me! Haha I would watch the video though

I'm not an engineer so my understanding might not be complete. As an avid, albeit armature, knife enthusiast it's the angle of the cutting surface that makes the easy of cutting happen. Decreasing the angle (until failure) makes slicing easier. The rigidity of the spine keeps the blade stable but only affects the edge when it bends. A filet knife, with a very decreased angle is much more efficient at slicing (angles of 12-17 degrees) than our every day carries which are much more utilitarian at 20-24 degrees. I admit that I do not know what the angles are on our modern DE blades. Since razor blades are all very similar in thickness (within thousandths of an inch), how much can a human really feel? Coupled with the give that skin has, is it even possible to feel it? How do you "know" (not you in particular Twelvefret, just in general) it's the blade that is less rigid? It seems to me that it is the holding mechanism that is giving the feedback that is felt and perceived as a blade being less rigid?
If we look at the exposure of the blade in an original Fatip vs an R41 I think that there is a difference just in lieu of (what would be acting as the spine) more blade exposure, but again we are talking thousandths of an inch. Is it humanly possible to feel that IF the blade is cutting efficiently (optimal bevel angle) when used against such a supple surface (the face)?

I have nothing definitive, but the part of the blade that extends beyond the support is able to flex in a DE. The GEM razor blade are thick and remain supported throughout the length of the blade. The Schick injector blades are also fully supported.

I've read that cutting hair is also due to the prepping of the hair, but your knife/angle analogy is spot on and comes into play when using a straight razor. I tell people you cannot cut meat with too shallow an angle.

About flexing blades and getting cut:

His personal review only lends to my point about the mechanism allowing the blade to flex and not the blade itself. If there isn't a solid mechanical device hold the blade securely, then yes it will flex (and chatter). My discussion point is surrounding blades, not the mechanisms that hold it. What I have read on some of the forums is about disliking one blade over another due to flex. I have to assume that the folks that debate the point of one blade being more flexible than others have compared different blades in the same razor. I, like Keto, would love to see some empirical data on the subject, but I doubt that any exists for public consumption.

I put a thin homemade plastic gasket under the cap of my three piece DE razors to help uniformly hold blade as rigid as possible and I have noticed a big difference in razor performance with less weepers,nicks and cuts due to blade flexing.

Questions?
Do multiple shaves with the same blade increases likelihood of weepers nicks and cuts?

Do large blade gaps increase nicks and cuts due to a larger blade flexing amplitude?. In my opinion all DE manufacturers should state the blade gap of their razors.

Where did you learn of the angle on DE blades? I searched for that info but couldn't locate any real data.
I remember reading an old post and quoting ballpark of 14 to 17 from a page at tryablade website. The website published data on about 18-20 of most popular blades at that point of time.

So I'm thinking about trying to do an experiment to test the actual rigidity of a blade. It seems to me to be pretty straight forward. I will need an open comb razor (to allow access to the underside of the blade. I'll need a machinist vise to hold the razor. I'll need a magnetic mounted dial indicator with a tip small enough to properly contact the top of the blade and...
Here is where I get a little stuck. How to properly and realistically apply EVEN CONSISTENT pressure from the underside of the blade. A single point of pressure, I hypothesis, will cause uneven pressure across the blade. I'm not sure if that is important or not providing all tests are done the same. The other problem is how to apply the pressure. That pressure will have to be consistent across the test. I'm not sure how to do this. Any thoughts? The pressure would need to be close to the pressure exerted during an actual shave. Any idea what that pressure would even be?

So I'm thinking about trying to do an experiment to test the actual rigidity of a blade. It seems to me to be pretty straight forward. I will need an open comb razor (to allow access to the underside of the blade. I'll need a machinist vise to hold the razor. I'll need a magnetic mounted dial indicator with a tip small enough to properly contact the top of the blade and...
Here is where I get a little stuck. How to properly and realistically apply EVEN CONSISTENT pressure from the underside of the blade. A single point of pressure, I hypothesis, will cause uneven pressure across the blade. I'm not sure if that is important or not providing all tests are done the same. The other problem is how to apply the pressure. That pressure will have to be consistent across the test. I'm not sure how to do this. Any thoughts? The pressure would need to be close to the pressure exerted during an actual shave. Any idea what that pressure would even be?
/
I'm thinking, why would they do this on MythBusters.

Find a Purdue engineering alumnus. He would probably build a jig in his spare time to accomplish this perfectly.

Find a Purdue engineering alumnus. He would probably build a jig in his spare time to accomplish this perfectly.

I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer that Ii am going to reach out to to ask for help/advice. I don't know anyone who went to Perdue :(

I've been reading a lot on B&B lately about blade rigidity. Maybe I'm not getting it (sometimes I can be a little dense). It seems to me that skin (on your face because we are talking about shaving) has a lot of cushion to it. Regardless of how taught the skin is, there is a good amount of cushion to it except in the chin and jawline (less in those areas anyway). Why wouldn't you want a blade that somewhat conforms to the change? I'm not saying floppy, just some give while passing over the constantly changing taughtness? A straight razor requires much more effort and skin pulled as tight as you can get it to achieve a satisfactory shave. Doesn't some give provide some conformation to the areas rather than trying to achieve the hardest, flattest surface with the least amount of pressure?

Starting with Gillette Sensor, you could get cartridge blades that were springs and conformed somewhat to your face. That was part of their marketing; that faces weren't flat. The problem, though is controlled conformity. That may be part of why band blade razors tended not to be so hot, and is why a loose DE blade results in nicks. Having decided to use some of my DE blades after months of SE, I can notice the difference. The first was with an open comb razor, which holds the blade ridged, and now with a rebranded Weishi, which doesn't. It's rigid enough to shave, just as rigid as any TTO or solid safety bar razor, but there seems to be slightly more play.

Starting with Gillette Sensor, you could get cartridge blades that were springs and conformed somewhat to your face. That was part of their marketing; that faces weren't flat. The problem, though is controlled conformity. That may be part of why band blade razors tended not to be so hot, and is why a loose DE blade results in nicks. Having decided to use some of my DE blades after months of SE, I can notice the difference. The first was with an open comb razor, which holds the blade ridged, and now with a rebranded Weishi, which doesn't. It's rigid enough to shave, just as rigid as any TTO or solid safety bar razor, but there seems to be slightly more play.

I am assuming that "loose DE blades" is being caused my the clamping mechanism (the razor). As I have stated, my comment originally arises from comments about one blade v. another and their rigidity. I don't think anyone questions that if a razor cannot hold the blade securely that it will provide an very inadequate shave.

Top Bottom