What's new

Fatboy - deeper dive

6 was not as good as 7 overall.

A bit too mild on top of my dome, but still a touch harsh on my throat. I'm being nit-picky - it was still a really nice shave; just not the best I've had from this razor.

Shower prep and WTG as usual
Fatboy on 6
Voskhod (1)
Beaumont Silvertip
Proraso Red

A bit of a break in "protocol"

Easter shave
Fat Boy 5 - 7
Voskhod (2)
B&B Boar
Proraso Red
Clubman

5 was too mild on my scalp, and I had a schedule to keep, so I opened it back up to 7 --- much better
I went ATG on 5 - still a bit mild.

So far, I found:
9 - similar to my New Improved, very efficient, a bit harsh
8 - like 9, a bit smoother
7 - Favorite high setting - this setting sets the Fatboy apart from others in my collection - very efficient, very smooth. still slightly harsh on my throat and under the occipital lobe on my head (problem areas for me)
6 - is also really nice, not as efficient yet still harsh on my problem areas. My FTSS has te same efficiency, but MUCH smoother (odd, since the head, gap and curve in the blade are almost identical)
5 - is too mild for WTG on a 2 day growth, maybe on a single day. Very smooth - not very efficient.

I'm still going down in setting until I can't get a shave.

Following this I'm pretty sure I'll have a better idea of high / low settings tat work for me.

Once you're done the downward trend, my advice would be to try a sharper, but still smooth blade, which might fix the two problem areas. The neck area sometimes has coarser hair, and a sharper blade might slice through it easier, making for a smoother shave. - A Nacet in the Fat-Boy is practically nirvana for me, so smooth you don't know it's cutting, but the whiskers are just gone.

Of course, I can't get a really close shave with a Voskhod, they're not quite sharp enough for the stiff gray growth that comes with being in my mid-late 50s. Setting 1 and a Derby will take down the peach of those in the early 20s.

Of course, I can't get a really close shave with a Voskhod, they're not quite sharp enough for the stiff gray growth that comes with being in my mid-late 50s. Setting 1 and a Derby will take down the peach of those in the early 20s.

Great advice! I've been on a steady diet of Voskhods and Gillette yellows for a long time - since my early 40's.
Looks like it's time for a blade sampler pack .

I would 1st try the yellow you have. Maybe a G. Nacet?

Sampler pack, I think only worth it if you pick your mix; otherwise they fill them w garbage blades (frequently).

Thanks for the blade advice - I've found that Yellows are nice, but can be harsh on a few areas - I still have plenty of Voskhods & Yellows, so I figure I can always load one of those if a new blade doesn't feel right.

Fatboy on 4
I was surprised to find that I still got a really nice shave!
I did go from 2 passes to 3, and I found that I had to rinse the razor more frequently during the WTG pass (mechanicals getting in the way as the razor closes?)

Cons:
Had to shorten strokes to avoid clogging - for comparison, my FTSS never clogs; even on multi day growth.
Had to add an extra pass

Pros:
SMOOTH - blade feel is barely perceptible
Eased a couple tricky areas - behind my ears, under chin, scar on top of my head

I'm planning to try 3, but I doubt I can finish a whole shave that mild.

I think I've found what I was looking for: What sets the Fatboy apart from my other razors?
I like it at 9, but my New Improved is more efficient and smoother.
At 6, it behaves almost as well as my FTSS, but the nod goes to the SS.

But - There is a lot of room between there - and that's where the adjustable nature shines.

Thanks for the blade advice - I've found that Yellows are nice, but can be harsh on a few areas - I still have plenty of Voskhods & Yellows, so I figure I can always load one of those if a new blade doesn't feel right.

Fatboy on 4
I was surprised to find that I still got a really nice shave!
I did go from 2 passes to 3, and I found that I had to rinse the razor more frequently during the WTG pass (mechanicals getting in the way as the razor closes?)

Cons:
Had to shorten strokes to avoid clogging - for comparison, my FTSS never clogs; even on multi day growth.
Had to add an extra pass

Pros:
SMOOTH - blade feel is barely perceptible
Eased a couple tricky areas - behind my ears, under chin, scar on top of my head

I'm planning to try 3, but I doubt I can finish a whole shave that mild.

I think I've found what I was looking for: What sets the Fatboy apart from my other razors?
I like it at 9, but my New Improved is more efficient and smoother.
At 6, it behaves almost as well as my FTSS, but the nod goes to the SS.

But - There is a lot of room between there - and that's where the adjustable nature shines.
Avoid "clogging"?? what is this

I'm with you on 7 being the magical number on the Fatboy. At least for ME on MY Fatboy, 7 is the one. Smooth, comfortable, efficient.

Top Bottom