What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

That I wish Crabtree & Evelyn still made creams. I found an old tube of their West Indian Lime cream in my stash and have really enjoyed it this month. I have almost finished the tube and then it's gone for good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm growing weary of trying different blades, and having a few disappointing shaves along the way. I want great shaves every time from now on, so time to settle down with my favourites, and stop wasting time and shaves with the others.

I should have never given up on preshave creams, they worked for me when I first started shaving and are working for me again - should not have stopped using them. GD pre-shave it is for now and it is working absolutely great. Next one to try: Vitos.

Old Types might be my favorite razors. Had the best shave of the year this morning with an early Rotbart old type clone. Love the thin, light, short grippy handle and the thin oc head. Awesome.

I learned to bloom my soap and brush in the same water. It really cut down on lathering in the bowl.

I also cut down on the time I lather in the bowl. I usually whip it to stiff peaks, but this time I stopped when the large bubbles were gone and felt oily to my finger tips. It made for a slick shave, albeit with less cushion.

I used the bloom water in my rinse water which helped with slickness.

I need to stick to my 2 pass rule on my neck.

Keep an open mind!!

I swore of Derby blades after trying the Extras, but the new Premiums are surprisingly good!!

Not to be hesitant in using my New LC razor.
The blade is more exposed than I like but I got one of the closest shaves in a while, probably say a BBS.
Blade is a German Wilkinson Classic that I took out of a SS, seventh day of use.
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I forgot how good my 1962 Gillette travel Tech was. Because this is a longer trip, I paired it with a pre-war Bakelite handle as the very short handle is a little too short for me to use for more than a few shaves. The three pass shave was close, comfortable and fast. Ideal for travel. There is clearly a reason why variations of this model had been in production for so many years.

Right with left and left with right seems to have a better angle of one's elbow and wrist and I am liking that even more than left with left and right with right....Glad to hear others do this, as almost all shaving videos do NOT shave ambidextrous.

I shave the opposite way so right side of face with left hand and vice versa. I find it a lot easier to have more room for the range of motion of my elbow and the slightly counter intuitive coordination helps me to keep the pressure really light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot how good my 1962 Gillette travel Tech was. Because this is a longer trip, I paired it with a pre-war Bakelite handle as the very short handle is a little too short for me to use for more than a few shaves. The three pass shave was close, comfortable and fast. Ideal for travel. There is clearly a reason why variations of this model had been in production for so many years.
Yes, those are cute razors!

If you think you're using enough water with that Razorock synthetic, you probably need to add even more, since the brush itself holds very little. (I've been using this brush for months, but still, old habits are hard to break..)

Rinsing between passes with bloom water really amps up the slickness of the shave.

usually I have some lather left on my neck where I didn't shave, so I've been rubbing that back on my face.. same kind of idea.. (I rarely do a full rinse after a 1st pass, never really saw the point, unless I suppose you don't like getting stray hairs in the brush)

What did I learn? I learned that a year of straight shaving my own face means that nobody, and I mean nobody, shaves me better than me.

The double-irony of barber shaves is this:

1. Usually men will splurge for a barber shop shave for special occasions, yet for a special occasion, do you want to risk getting an "average" shave?

2. If you choose a random Saturday morning, why bother spending the money on something you can do better?

Yea, this is why I still have never had one. I enjoy the "clean up" shave w/ aftershave after a nice haircut, but a whole-face shave just doesn't interest me.

Top Bottom