What's new

Airline Carry on double edge safety razor with NO blade?

going from US to UK and asking if it is OK to carry onto the planes an empty (no blade) double edge safety razor? I plan on buying blades in the UK.

Is anyone doing this without a problem?

Thanks

I have done that on domestic flights without any problem. Usually, TSA will ask to inspect the razor to be certain there is no blade in it.

My advise would be to take it apart if it is a 2/3 piece, also let it be a cheap one you wont mind loosing, TSA is not standard so for some agents is ok and for others is not and they reserve the right to have the last word if something should board the plane or not, no matter how innocent the item might be.

I flew from US to Denmark and back two years ago. I took both a prewar Tech and a ball end Old through security in both countries and had no problem at all. Blades were in my check in luggage.

I asked TSA if they see a lot of double edge razors go through their security check and they said yes. It doesn't seem to be a big deal to them, and doesn't raise red flags. I would just bring a user grade razor with you that if confiscated wouldn't be a great loss.

Usa to Philippines with a slim in a plasic eye glass case no problem. I just put the blades in the bottom of the plane luggage ( check in).

From 2013-2016, I used to fly from Washington to New York on a monthly basis for work. Timeless .95 in my carry-on was always asked to be removed for visual inspection and always given a pass. I've had the same experience on various domestic flights since then. Like everyone else, blades are checked. Overseas, I'd be more inclined to carry a tech and check a backup tech.

It is on the TSA allowed list at their website. Some TSA agents don't know their rules very well though.

I always put my bladeless DE razor in my shirt pocket, and then place it in the white tub on the conveyor belt. Once the TSA agent asked me to take it apart. He smiled as I showed him how the three-piece worked. He kept saying, "That's really cool." No one else has questioned it, perhaps because they think no one would be so brazen to smuggle contraband. No problems, ever.

I would put a pack of your chosen blades in the bottom of your checked bags as the majority of supermarkets in the uk carry cartridge razors and basic Wilkinson sword or Gillette de blades so depending on your preference be prepared . de shaving isn't as big in the uk as it is in the states but we are getting there .

You should be fine IN THEORY. However, TSA is unpredictable.

You are more likely to have your bag searched and some agents will try to confiscate your DE.

Keep in mind that if a TSA agent gives you a tough time or is ignorant of the rules, talk to a supervisor. My travel razor is a Red Tip. In all of the many years of flying, I have only been asked a few times about it or had my carryon opened to inspect the razor. One time the doors of the razor were closed and one agent asked what it was. Another agent wanted to see if there was a blade in it.

I had a TSA agent once consider confiscating and Schick Injector (it didn't have a blade in it). Ever since then, I just travel with carts unless I'm checking my luggage.

No, I wouldn't do it. In Europe they employ a random at the gate secondary scanner often. I've been through several mobil carry on scans that involved 100% of passengers. Just follow the rules and you will not have any problems.

No, I wouldn't do it. In Europe they employ a random at the gate secondary scanner often. I've been through several mobil carry on scans that involved 100% of passengers. Just follow the rules and you will not have any problems.
They are allowed by the rules.

Top Bottom