What's new

Murphy & McNeil

My tub of Claddagh came in on Friday while my wife and I were at the hospital. First time I got to try it was today. Absolutely love the scent and the performance/post shave is elite. Want to use it a few more times before posting a full review. Only negative was my face was feeling a bit of “heat” by the third pass. Looked over the ingredients list and noticed lanolin which may be the culprit. It wasn’t bothersome enough to discontinue use, but we’ll see if this improves or gets worse after a few more uses.

Just had my second shave with Claddagh and am still as impressed as I was with my first.

It would seem I am not sensitive to lanolin, and this soap just works so damn well!

I’ve been a champion of Arko and Tabac, both of which hit the 80% - 85% as good as WK for me, but this M&M soap is in a whole other league. If the rest of their soaps perform as well as Claddagh, it just becomes a matter of picking my favorite scent - a good problem to have!

So far I haven’t been as sold on the scent. I like the way it smells, but really wish there were more of it. If there were roughly twice as much of the same scent, I would order three tubs, along with matching aftershave and settle in with my “forever” soap! Alas, I will need to see if any of their other offerings have a similarly great scent (even if a different profile) with more presence, while keeping this otherwise superb performance.

Just had my second shave with Claddagh and am still as impressed as I was with my first.

It would seem I am not sensitive to lanolin, and this soap just works so damn well!

I’ve been a champion of Arko and Tabac, both of which hit the 80% - 85% as good as WK for me, but this M&M soap is in a whole other league. If the rest of their soaps perform as well as Claddagh, it just becomes a matter of picking my favorite scent - a good problem to have!

So far I haven’t been as sold on the scent. I like the way it smells, but really wish there were more of it. If there were roughly twice as much of the same scent, I would order three tubs, along with matching aftershave and settle in with my “forever” soap! Alas, I will need to see if any of their other offerings have a similarly great scent (even if a different profile) with more presence, while keeping this otherwise superb performance.

I agree with you on the scent. I really enjoy it, but it is light to medium in strength. Personally, I don’t find this problematic as I tend to enjoy lightly scented soaps. I’ve used other soaps with lanolin with no issue and some that give me a “warm” feeling. I’m hoping it’s a non-issue because the performance was top notch

Ordered 2 soaps. The Irish Tweed scent and barbershop scent. Shaved with the Irish tweed this am. Wasn't impressed with the scent when I got it but it turned out being pretty unoffensive and rounded out once on the face. The shave was excellent. 9/10. Shaving with the barbershop in a few days and will see how it stacks up to my #1 Declation grooming bandwagon

Thanks to all who replied! Will definitely be ordering some samples in the near future. Now to figure out which scents I want to try...

That is my only complaint about this soapmaker, and most soapmakers as a matter of fact. I wish they would not go so fancy in the naming and at least post the scent as a small note below or do a hover over text. Either would be rather easy to do. It would make figuring out what each soap smells like. It might also be good to list the soap base category (duck, beef tallow, vegan, etc) as well.

Also, it would be good to list the scents, somehow, on the packaging. I only ask this because, even if you go into a place like Pasteur's, Maggars, etc, the last thing you want to do is go nose blind smelling every jar of soap. Having a description on the packaging could help. Also, I am sure the retailer would appreciate you as well since most will not buy a jar of opened product. I saw a jar of I Coloniali sit for for over a year because someone tore the seal open (which I am sure will also diminish he scent over time).

I will say that once I drill into the M & M sites, I love that he posts top, middle and base notes. that helps me to better understand what it might smell like. Thanks!

Just got my first tub of St. James yesterday and I am not sure if it was the heat but mine was pretty melted. Not soupy but almost croapy.

Hopefully a day or two might harden the soap again.

Just got my first tub of St. James yesterday and I am not sure if it was the heat but mine was pretty melted. Not soupy but almost croapy.

Hopefully a day or two might harden the soap again.
Is this your first tub of MMc? The soap is generally VERY soft.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Is this your first tub of MMc? The soap is generally VERY soft.

It is, I heard good things and I just had to try it.

I'm leaving it uncovered for a couple of days just to see if it would make it firmer. My routine is to load directly off the tub.

Won’t make it firmer, except the very outside skin gets a little less tacky. I’ve had my sample of Claddagh in a cereal bowl for several days now, and it’s still soft enough that you could describe it as much as a stiff cream as a soft soap.

Doesn’t hurt performance any, and if you know that going in, loading and lathering aren’t a problem.

It is, I heard good things and I just had to try it.

I'm leaving it uncovered for a couple of days just to see if it would make it firmer. My routine is to load directly off the tub.
That won't make it firmer. But good news is that it is perfectly fine to load. Just make sure you use a pretty wet brush...otherwise you will end up with a glue like lather in the brush that will be difficult to develop properly by adding more water later.

I’ve had great success loading in the bowl, then developing the lather on my face.

If the brush is nice and wet, I’ve used a very stiff omega boar, a simpsons best badger, a soft SOC boar, and a somewhat scratchy SOC badger, and none have given me the slightest trouble loading or lathering this wonderful soap!

That won't make it firmer. But good news is that it is perfectly fine to load. Just make sure you use a pretty wet brush...otherwise you will end up with a glue like lather in the brush that will be difficult to develop properly by adding more water later.

Shaved with it a couple of hours ago. That's right, it hasn't made it firmer. I guess I'd need to change up my routine a bit for this soap but I like it, it performed very well for me.

I won a tub of Claddagh at the ecws meetup last month. It is shockingly good stuff.

It compares pretty favorably to the top shelf stuff in my den (Barrister Reserve and A&E). I have a tub of DG Icarus coming so we’ll see how it compares to that.

Just got in my order of 6 samples today. Can't really smell much through the packets, but the soap is very soft, which I like. Can't wait to try.

It feels soft enough I could take a bit off and put it in the bowl rather than loading up a brush. Does anyone do that? Any advantage in that method over brush loading?

C

It feels soft enough I could take a bit off and put it in the bowl rather than loading up a brush. Does anyone do that? Any advantage in that method over brush loading?

C
That’s exactly what I do, even with a full tub. Scrape an almond sized amount off with an old knife, spread it around in the bottom of the bowl, and make the lather.

Top Bottom