What's new

TOBS Sandalwood user sniffed some AOS

I was at a local store and noticed they started carrying Art of Shaving (AOS) products. I covertly opened the container to sniff the Sandalwood cream. I wish Taylor of Old Bond Street's (TOBS) Sandalwood smelled like that! Probably the best Sandalwood scent I've smelled. To give you a sense of my tastes, of the Sandalwood creams I have sniffed, AOS smells the best, then TOBS and then Proraso Red (sorry to the folks who love that one, its *too* sandalwoody for me).

For those who have used TOBS and AOS Sandalwood, how does the AOS compare. I *love* the performance of TOBs.

All three are favorites of mine , cold river soapworks select also has an amazing sandalwood (my personal favorite)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOS sandalwood scent is amazing. Performance is just as good. I’ve used ToBS and I put AOS a notch above it.

AOS performance but a slight edge but I like tobs scent and proraso red over aos , cold river is the best scent and performer overall for me out of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine makes a good Sandalwood that smells exactly like AOS. I prefer Sterling Sandpiper which I think is a Sandalwood.

I definitely like the AOS over the TOBS scent. Fine beats them both on performance for me, and the scent matches AOS fairly closely. I found AOS and TOBS performance to be fairly similar, though I've heard legends about the tallow AOS formula.

Both AOS and TOBS sandalwoods are great.
AOS sandalwood has some added eucalyptus that adds some green and florals.
TOBS sandalwood (most recently I've used the soap) is more woody, pure sandalwood.
I'd give the edge to AOS, IMHO.

art of shaving sandalwood plisson filarmonica december 6 2017.jpg
taylor of old bond street sandalwood simpson revisor march 31 2019.jpg

Both are great Sandalwoods. If I had to pick one, I'd say I prefer AOS but I like the TOBS a lot. I have the TOBS soap, cream, Aftershave and Cologne. I have the Art of Shaving cream & aftershave balm. I also use the Fine Santal Absolut aftershave splash that smells like the AOS sandalwood.

Didn’t really like the TOBS sandalwood, too “perfumy” if I recall (it’s been a few years since I tried it). AOS is nice, but pricey for what you get (do they still use that false-bottom jar?). I really like the Trumpers sandalwood.

My wife loves the smell of Proraso Sandalwood on me, so that’s my go to when I use Sandalwood these days.

I’ve also tried Stirling Sandalwood (it’s a soap, not a cream), and it was nice, but not very strong scent, especially compared to the proraso.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've used Prorasso Sandalwood and smelled the AOS and several others. I think i plain don't like sandalwood. To me it smells like wood with a slight (very slight) fecal scent to it. I'm not kidding. That's what I smell.

Top Bottom