What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that I should NEVER shave with a Fatboy and a Feather, on any setting or in any phase of the moon. I feel like I was shaved by Atilla the Hun. Blindfolded. Using his third best sword. I just got the Fatboy and had heard they are quite mild. One of my favorite combos has been a Tech with a Feather, so two days ago I set her at 5 and had at it. Wasn't pretty. So, having thought things through logically, today I sets her at 3 and had at it.

After WTG I was provided with ample feedback, both tactile and visual, to quickly determine that it was in my best interest to come at the ATG pass with an alternate weapon. I did so and was able to complete the shave, with the help of some special red lubricant that was flowing plentifully. No cuts, just weepers galore, along with an impressive excision of a spot my wife has has been asking me to get checked out. Hopefully I got it all!

Then came the alum. I was very hesitant to deploy that, but was beginning to weaken from the loss of blood and had to chance it. I may as well have kicked a hornets nest as open that little plastic case! I might have briefly passed out, but got through it okay. The witch hazel and aloe felt very nice, but it is lingering and reminding me of that shave.

It is almost inevitable that in two days time you will find me with an injector in hand, the memory of tonight's carnage too fresh in my mind to allow a remount of the proverbial horse! But, being a stubborn sort, will probably have a go with the large lad and a different blade on the subsequent shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
To order...

Barbershop.480..png

...a second tub of this great veggie based soap before the supply was gone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today I learned that not only is the Gillette Nacet a perfect match for my Merkur 34c, but the Personna Crystal is also an amazing contender.

Last edited:
I learned that I should NEVER shave with a Fatboy and a Feather, on any setting or in any phase of the moon. I feel like I was shaved by Atilla the Hun. Blindfolded. Using his third best sword. I just got the Fatboy and had heard they are quite mild. One of my favorite combos has been a Tech with a Feather, so two days ago I set her at 5 and had at it. Wasn't pretty. So, having thought things through logically, today I sets her at 3 and had at it.

After WTG I was provided with ample feedback, both tactile and visual, to quickly determine that it was in my best interest to come at the ATG pass with an alternate weapon. I did so and was able to complete the shave, with the help of some special red lubricant that was flowing plentifully. No cuts, just weepers galore, along with an impressive excision of a spot my wife has has been asking me to get checked out. Hopefully I got it all!

Then came the alum. I was very hesitant to deploy that, but was beginning to weaken from the loss of blood and had to chance it. I may as well have kicked a hornets nest as open that little plastic case! I might have briefly passed out, but got through it okay. The witch hazel and aloe felt very nice, but it is lingering and reminding me of that shave.

It is almost inevitable that in two days time you will find me with an injector in hand, the memory of tonight's carnage too fresh in my mind to allow a remount of the proverbial horse! But, being a stubborn sort, will probably have a go with the large lad and a different blade on the subsequent shave.

Sounds like the FB hadn't clamped the blade tight. Any chance that could have occurred. I've never noticed a significant difference between a Feather and an Astra SP.

I've been neglecting my vintage combo coticule, but oh hell: she and a japanese near-wedge (or quarter hollow, maybe?) "Shotiku 33" razor just gave me one of my best shaves ever.

Knowing that a BBS isn't worth it for me, I still occasionally have trouble stopping at a DFS when I'm just having too much fun.

No matter how hard I try, I seem to apply some level of pressure. More on my head than on my face and more on my first pass. Probably due to shaving once a week.

I like VERY little blade feel, but some.

Try not to re-nick that shaving scar behind my right ear...
Maybe next time.

I learned two things:
1) Shaving sloppily with a Feather blade is a bad idea right after waking up too early and tired in a hotel.
2) Always leaving a styptic pencil in my dopp kit was a good idea.

Sounds like the FB hadn't clamped the blade tight. Any chance that could have occurred. I've never noticed a significant difference between a Feather and an Astra SP.

Good thought, but not this time. I learned that lesson a little earlier! That Fatboy has a really robust last quarter turn and I could see the blade bowing out. A Wilkinson on 3 was better, but still not pleasant. It seems like I really feel that blade. Enough that I purchased a Schick 66 as consolation!

Today's lesson was set up by yesterday's shave. I had occasion to have a certified Master Barber (however one earns that title) give me a shave. My first barber shave, over a year ago, was a glorious experience. Yesterday, not so much. When done I was sporting a number of missed patches, some stray whiskers, and one nick just above my jawline that was still bleeding when I got out of the chair. Overall, quite disappointed. And if I'm being honest about my first barber shave, I do remember thinking that it wasn't that much better than my DE shaves at the time, though the hot towel, face massage, clay mask, etc., did take it over the top.

In contrast, today's shave (with my 7/8" Dorko #118 straight) was everything I could hope for in a shave.

What did I learn? I learned that a year of straight shaving my own face means that nobody, and I mean nobody, shaves me better than me.

Pulled out little used AS D2, never could get a close shave with this one. Popped in a Feather blade. Used Cremo Sandalwood, applied with hand using plenty of water, got a very thin slick cover. Paid close careful attention to maintaining a neutral angle. Closest shave ever with this razor. No nicks, or irritation. Not as close as a Timeless .95 OC, but a perfectly good, close shave, easily comparable to a DE89. Not sure if it was the angle or the thin lather, or both together.

I think whether a newbie or an experienced shaver, you should always learn something from every shave, no matter what it is.

So, I guess i'll start.

Today I learned not to get greedy looking for a BBS shave, and that a 2 pass with clean ups is enough for a DFS.
That I really like Wilkinson Sword blades in the black tuck. Nice smooth, buttery shaves but only two days in so far. I'll need to see how long they last.
I believe they are made in Germany, can anybody confirm that?

Top Bottom