What's new

Olive seems popular these days.

Thank you @ackvil I just finished mine today it's the fifth brush I've made. Well technically it will be finished when I get the knot.

@Graydog @CigarSmoka I made a cocobolo pen for a freind and tried some of the tips you gave me on using a skew and I tried a spindle gouge. Not much luck with the skew but the spindle gouge worked quite well with the technique you described. The little curls of wood coming off the work piece where very satisfying and the cut was much smoother than I normally get.
20190127_065347_HDR.jpg

@Graydog @CigarSmoka I made a cocobolo pen for a freind and tried some of the tips you gave me on using a skew and I tried a spindle gouge. Not much luck with the skew but the spindle gouge worked quite well with the technique you described. The little curls of wood coming off the work piece where very satisfying and the cut was much smoother than I normally get.View attachment 947633
Nice work.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

@Graydog @CigarSmoka I made a cocobolo pen for a freind and tried some of the tips you gave me on using a skew and I tried a spindle gouge. Not much luck with the skew but the spindle gouge worked quite well with the technique you described. The little curls of wood coming off the work piece where very satisfying and the cut was much smoother than I normally get.View attachment 947633

Very nice job on the pen! It appears to be a Jr Gent, a fine kit. Don’t worry about the skew, it takes some practice, but once you get it down you’ll love it. Rip some 2x4s down to spindles and practice, once you get a smooth surface on them you’ll be using it like a champ. Brian Havens and others have some great YT videos on proper use of the skew. I personally like an oval skew (Sorby), the fulcrum (where the tool is on the rest) stays inline with where the edge is cutting which makes it easier to control, but it can be a bear to sharpen without the right jig. It also has a flat edge along the toe side for V cuts, and a rounded edge on the heel side for rolling beads.

Outstanding finish! That’s exactly why I love CA. The fact that you’re coating the wood in acrylic resin and making it impervious to water is a bonus

That is a beautiful brush. Looks to be Olive wood, mother of pearl and boar. Very classy shape.

Here is my handle, impatiently awaiting a knot.

View attachment 947154 View attachment 947155 View attachment 947156 View attachment 947157

Looks great! Post some pics after you sink a knot in that gorgeous handle! Also, one of the nice things about a finish that doesn’t have a high sheen is that it shows off the natural beauty of the wood. I do high gloss on handles, but lighter woods can tend to look like plastic. That lower sheen did the olive justice.

Very nice job on the pen! It appears to be a Jr Gent, a fine kit. Don’t worry about the skew, it takes some practice, but once you get it down you’ll love it. Rip some 2x4s down to spindles and practice, once you get a smooth surface on them you’ll be using it like a champ. Brian Havens and others have some great YT videos on proper use of the skew. I personally like an oval skew (Sorby), the fulcrum (where the tool is on the rest) stays inline with where the edge is cutting which makes it easier to control, but it can be a bear to sharpen without the right jig. It also has a flat edge along the toe side for V cuts, and a rounded edge on the heel side for rolling beads.

Thank you I'll try practicing on the 2x4 the next chance I get to do some wood turning. The pain is actually a navigator in Black titanium finish from wood craft it is very similar to the Jr. Gent.

It is for a friend so I won't be testing it myself but it seems pretty nice. Slightly stiffer than mine but not super stiff. My friend played for it and had it sent to me, he also got me a 28mm boar. I still need to make a handle for that.

Top Bottom