Which better for everyday

• Muhle R89

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Fatip Testina Gentile

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi,

Which you say is better every day razor, Muhle R89 or Fatip Testina Gentile (special edition). A local is selling both, I want one.

Thanks!

Take Fatip piccolo Special Edition, you'll have both open and closed comb plates and a great, full brass made razor.

I find the Gentile (despite its name) is too much for me every day. After a week, my face begins to get irritated.

Something about its geometry makes it (despite its general mildness) somewhat harsh around my trouble areas. In some ways, I’d prefer to use the Piccolo for every day shaving, because that way, I have more ability to control the angle of the razor to keep it in check.

But that’s just me. Many others love their Fatips.

The R89/DE89 is a fine razor for everyday shaving. I personally haven’t used mine much since I got a Rockwell 6S, as I find it chatters a bit in comparison to the Rockwell (which has very similar geometry at R3), but that’s likely just because I have very coarse facial hair. For most people, it’s a winner.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Take Fatip piccolo Special Edition, you'll have both open and closed comb plates and a great, full brass made razor.
+1
I just got my Fatip Piccolo Special Edition 3 weeks ago.

When I use the Gentile plate, I find it very sensitive to find the right angle, once found the shave is so close I can skip a day. It begs to go ATG. I am in fact shaving with it this week.

But for me the Fatip OC plate paired with a Nacet is the clear winner for daily use. It has given me the most comfortable shaves I have ever had. It has a very wide and forgiving range and just seems to flow over my face and neck.
As always YMMV,
Prof
20190408_213126.jpg
20190408_213621.jpg

Interesting question!

My choice for everyday would be the 89 with a sharp blade because that combo works well getting me out the door with minimal muss and fuss!

Now if you asked about quality of materials I would go for the brass!

Never used a Fatip, so in fairness can't compare, it gets a lot of love on Badger and Blade. Did buy one and bought a Schone ( supposed to be same razor, same mfg. factory ) I couldn't get either one to hold a blade straight and even so gave up on this razor design.
The EJ DE89 and Muhle R89 are my favorite, go to, daily drivers. I get a near BBS or BBS depending on the blade and lather I use. They are easy to use, easy to avoid irritation or any blood.
The easy answer, pick one for now and plan on getting the other soon after.

I couldn't get either one to hold a blade straight and even so gave up on this razor design.

Aligning the blade in a Fatip is something of an “art”. On my Gentile, even getting the cap and safety bar somewhat parallel is a fun game (there’s a good 10 degrees of play, and the base twists against the cap as I tighten the handle), let alone getting the blade straight as well.

Loading it all upside down helps, though, and after a few months of using my Gentile on and off, I could get the cap, safety bar and blade all straight second or third try most times.

M

Member 113878

I have both, but would choose the R89 hands down.
My beard is quite mild though, so YMMV.
The Gentile is just too much for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Aligning the blade in a Fatip is something of an “art”. On my Gentile, even getting the cap and safety bar somewhat parallel is a fun game (there’s a good 10 degrees of play, and the base twists against the cap as I tighten the handle), let alone getting the blade straight as well.

Loading it all upside down helps, though, and after a few months of using my Gentile on and off, I could get the cap, safety bar and blade all straight second or third try most times.
I find the standard – cap (with pins up) on counter, drop blade on, (gently) drop baseplate on, rapidly press down on baseplate then screw handle on – method works spot on nine out of ten times for me. On the odd occasions that it doesn't work simply slacking off the handle a little, maneuvering the blade by the tabs, and retightening does the trick in a couple of seconds.

I find the standard – cap (with pins up) on counter, drop blade on, (gently) drop baseplate on, rapidly press down on baseplate then screw handle on – method works spot on nine out of ten times for me. On the odd occasions that it doesn't work simply slacking off the handle a little, maneuvering the blade by the tabs, and retightening does the trick in a couple of seconds.
I have two Piccolos, one SE and one nickel plated, they both have zero alignment issue. I can put a blade however I like and it will always be perfectly aligned. Maybe they solved the issue with V2 head, or yourshaving.com select better samples, or I just was lucky two times in a row :D

On the odd occasions that it doesn't work simply slacking off the handle a little, maneuvering the blade by the tabs, and retightening does the trick in a couple of seconds.

The problem with my Gentile is less about straightening the blade against the guard than straightening the guard bar against the cap, so the two edges are parallel.

Either it all works first-go, or it’s a huge fuss. When I straighten the blade, the guard bar goes out of alignment against the cap, then when I straighten the cap, the blade moves against the bar.

With most razors, there’s just one variable to straighten - the blade. But with my Gentile, the interplay of the blade, cap and guard all having significant movement against each other makes it more difficult.

So if it’s not straight first go, I just try again (using the upside-down loading technique), and repeat until it’s right.

The problem is lessened by swapping my Gentile cap for the Piccolo one (which still has some play, but less than the Gentile cap), but then I have the clash of nickel-on-chrome.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The problem with my Gentile is less about straightening the blade against the guard than straightening the guard bar against the cap, so the two edges are parallel.

Either it all works first-go, or it’s a huge fuss. When I straighten the blade, the guard bar goes out of alignment against the cap, then when I straighten the cap, the blade moves against the bar.

With most razors, there’s just one variable to straighten - the blade. But with my Fatip, the interplay of the blade, cap and guard all having significant movement against each other makes it more difficult.

So if it’s not straight first go, I just try again (using the upside-down loading technique), and repeat until it’s right.

The problem is lessened by swapping my Gentile cap for the Piccolo one (which still has some play, but less than the Gentile cap), but then I have the clash of nickel-on-chrome.
@Marlor , of course I could have just posted this pic of the bushings I made......

Attachments

• 20190410_204613.jpg
    20190410_204613.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20190410_204940.jpg
    20190410_204940.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20190410_205110.jpg
    20190410_205110.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190410_205209.jpg
    20190410_205209.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 45
of course I could have just posted this pic of the bushings I made......

That would help!

It seems you’ve actually finished the razor.

With some bushings like that, (along with some filing to get rid of the sharp burrs on my Piccolo handle), I might actually be happy with my Fatip razors.

I appreciate all the tips on how to align the Fatip. It seems the problems I had are fairly common. Many revere this razor as an excellent shaver. I find their casual attitude toward quality and the result that many of their razors require a much longer time to load a blade and prepare the razor for use than other razors off putting. I don't use mine, would not pass on these problem razors to annoy anoyone else, and would warn anyone contemplating buying this razor to be prepared for these issues. Many other razors give excellent shaves with little or no hassle.

Top Bottom