What's new

Salmon recipies.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
What are some of y'alls favorites?

I like simple. Take a fillet, put a dash of Lemon Garlic seasoning, salt and pepper put it on foil on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 for around 20 minutes for a 1" thick fillet. Add a splash of lemon and easy, peasy meal.

Usually cook mine the same way. Sometimes I’ll take the salmon and cut it into portions. On each piece goes a lemon yoghurt mix with some mixed veggies. Then it all gets wrapped in a parchment paper bundle. The parchment paper keeps all the steam in so the fish and veggies get cooked and steamed.

I forget the exact recipe since it’s been a month or so since I’ve made it but that’s the genera outline of it lol.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I take a 6 oz portion and coat it in ground corriander mixed with a little salt and pepper. Then I place it on a broiler pan lined with non-stick foil. Place in an oven set on broil. Depending on the thickness I cook it for 5 to 6 minutes flesh side up then flip over skin side up for two minutes. Remove from oven and use tongs to peel off skin.

I like it steamed..Into steamer pot goes 1/4 cup of white wine and 2cups water + some herbs..Rub down with salt and pepper. Steam 10 mins and let cool really good the next day with lemon juice..

Soak a cedar plank in water for an hour. Crank up the grill to about 350. Put the salmon on the plank under lemons and fresh dill. Grill until done to your liking.

Many good recipes here that I will try. Thanks for an inspiring thread. This under here is maybe the one I use most.
It uses quite low temperatures and will result in a very soft and pink fish. To many this is maybe borderline raw.
I thought this myself before trying it but have been hooked since. Soft, pink, still flakey but also melts in mouth.
Works with many different sauces and side dishes from different "kitchens" ;).

Recipe.
1. Make a mix of 60% Salt & 40% Sugar. Coat the salmon with this dry mix and let it sit for 30 minutes.
2. Wash off the mix with cold water and cut the salmon in portions if it is not cut already. Dry of water with paper towel.
3. Bake/cook in oven until the core is around 102F / 39C. I usually have the oven at only 122F / 50C doing this. Going more by look than by time after doing this for many years.

4. Or other ideas for time & temperature:
1&2 as above
100g piece of back loin in oven at 122F / 60C for maybe 25 minutes. Belly loin 150g piece in oven 122F / 60C for maybe 40 minutes.

I bake filets skin side down in a sealed foil packet. Little lemon juice and a glug of Paul Newman's olive oil and vinegar dressing. 375 degrees. 25 minutes. Use a turner/spatula to lift cooked fish; allow skin to remain behind.

More than once have marinated salmon in the Tamari-ginger sauce from The Moosewood Cookbook, half hour - a couple hours. Drain, portion the fillet, pat dry, oil skin side. Direct grill without burning skins, until the top barely flakes and it's done. The crispy potato chip like skin is to be eaten and enjoyed like the rest of the fish.

A few one offs i've played with in the last year...

Maple- miso glazed salmon recipe from Cooking in Color used in a mish mash of a ramen.

Whats cooking in 2019?

Grilled salmon with corn chowder.

What's Cooking 2018?

Grilled salmon with African spice rub.

What's Cooking 2018?

Brined and roasted salmon with Avgolemono Basmati Rice, from Gabrielle Hamilton's Prune cookbook.

What's Cooking 2018?

Endless options to explore.

dave

I've poached a whole salmon a few times. Stuff with fresh dill weed, wrap in cheesecloth, poach gently in barely bubbling court boullon (sp) made with water, white wine, pepper corns, dill seed. The hard pat: deciding when it's dome. Make a bechemal (sp) sauce with butter, flour, some court b., some half and half. Not too thick a sauce. Stir in peeled and cooked shrimp and fresh dill and pour over the whole skinned salmon. Then filet and serve.

This demands a pan large enough to poach a whole salmon and a platter large enough to serve it on.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My favorite way is to get a nice filet (especially with a good belly on it--I love the belly) and just put it on a baking sheet (on top of some parchment paper or Silpat). Surround it with pencil-thick asparagus. Whisk together enough Batampte mustard, minced garlic, chopped fresh dill weed, and olive oil to cover the salmon and drizzle heavily on the asparagus. Primarily mustard, enough dill and garlic to make you happy (usually a lot of each for me), and just enough oil to give it some fluff and cooking ability. I wish I could give more in the manner of quantity, but this is something I just pulled together about 20 years ago and never measured. It also depends on the size of the filet.

Cover the salmon (relatively evenly) and heavily drizzle the asparagus with the stuff (or, if you wish, toss the asparagus with a measure of the stuff), and bake the whole thing at 450F until the salmon is medium-rare. The asparagus should be done just right, as well.

Mrs. TL also does a wonderful salmon filet with the broiler, and she tops it with a mixture of oil, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. It's very good, and being under the broiler crisps up the edges a bit. I'll need to dig up the recipe, though.

Soak your filet in 100% Maple Syrup overnight (excessive but worth it in the end).
Submerge a 2x10 cedar plank overnight in water (I use a 20" length cuz it fits nicely inside my BBQ).
Get your grill up to temp.
Put the salmon on the plank, cover in thin sliced lemon and fresh dill, and put the whole works on your grill.
Close the lid and cook to your desired consistency.

I like to go about 40-50 minutes or so. Plenty of time to turn the bottom of the plank into "alligator skin". Creates lots of smoke in the grill box, and caramelizes the sugars left on the fish by the syrup. The lemon and dill add just enough piquancy to keep the sugars from being cloying and it is an absolute delight. Even my family members who do not like fish will eat my salmon.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Great recipes, I can't wait to try some of these. I wish Mrs. Bigfoot would eat Salmon. She refuses to eat fish that is not fried.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I take a 6 oz portion and coat it in ground corriander mixed with a little salt and pepper. Then I place it on a broiler pan lined with non-stick foil. Place in an oven set on broil. Depending on the thickness I cook it for 5 to 6 minutes flesh side up then flip over skin side up for two minutes. Remove from oven and use tongs to peel off skin.

How does the Corriander differ from Cilantro Aaron?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After your campfire has been burning for a couple of hours, prepare fresh caught fish. Wrap in foil, or whatever you have, and bury it under about two inches of dirt under the coals. Let cook to desired doneness, takes a bit of practice, then dig the packet up with your camp shovel...or a stick.

Grilled with garlic powder chili Powder salt pepper and Italian seasoning. Sounds like a lot but it does not over power the salmon

Grill it flesh down for a minute or two the flip it and watch for the fat. When the fat starts coming out of the middle it is done. Medium rare to medium. There is a fine line between done and over done.

Top Bottom