What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Great vintage shoot out. All very capable and close matches. Looking forward to the next shave off. Will your famous sauce make your beard grow faster so we can get another round in sooner ? :a14:

Great vintage shoot out. All very capable and close matches. Looking forward to the next shave off. Will your famous sauce make your beard grow faster so we can get another round in sooner ? :a14:

Thanks AJ I’m not sure if the sauce will make it grow faster but I’m making it tomorrow so it will be a good test of TPOS! Lol

Great Easter Shave Off, Frank! The RFB is hard to beat!

Thank you my friend for the kind words.
It’s an excellent razor and in my opinion one of the better shaving vintage razors. It certainly has a nice balance of both efficiency and smoothness and with that Titanium handle on it the RFB was very maneuverable.

Well in the next Shave Off I’ll be pulling a New Deluxe Chromium set that can be found on Mr Razor.. as far as I know it’s never been used! I had 2 other New Deluxe razors. One was a mint gold Big Boy which I sold a few month ago which I kind of regret and then just a couple of weeks ago I sold the one I used the most which was a black and silver gun coated one. So now I’m left with no choice but to take this razor on it’s maiden voyage. This was a hard decision because for the couple of years I’ve had it and the other two ND BB I thought I’d leave it in unused condition as a part of my collection.
What would you do? Use it or borrow one from a friend?

6EC1F217-E2BC-4177-89F5-A51BD5DFF26B.jpeg

0B3D18C1-0565-4C56-89F0-240314CEC9A2.jpeg

8760E382-400A-4229-9F3C-31A4721CC1CC.jpeg

Well in the next Shave Off I’ll be pulling a New Deluxe Chromium set that can be found on Mr Razor.. as far as I know it’s never been used! I had 2 other New Deluxe razors. One was a mint gold Big Boy which I sold a few month ago which I kind of regret and then just a couple of weeks ago I sold the one I used the most which was a black and silver gun coated one. So now I’m left with no choice but to take this razor on it’s maiden voyage. This was a hard decision because for the couple of years I’ve had it and the other two ND BB I thought I’d leave it in unused condition as a part of my collection.

View attachment 974458

View attachment 974457

View attachment 974459

Wow! That is all. Wow!

That’s not making it any easier my friend! Should I use it? It’s been on my mind right after I sold the last backup ND that it would come to this decision to use it or not. Mr Razor entrusted me with it so now I’m confused.

Personally, I'd shave with it. It'll be a thrill and cool! People around here take meticulous care of their razors, so some occasional use I figure is more pleasurable than it being in a box. But I shave with my Double Ring a few times a year.

Personally, I'd shave with it. It'll be a thrill and cool! People around here take meticulous care of their razors, so some occasional use I figure is more pleasurable than it being in a box. But I shave with my Double Ring a few times a year.

That’s what I was thinking if I use it once in a while it won’t hurt it as I have a little case of OCD and it will be cleaned and dried before putting it back in the case.

This and a Toggle I have are unused but I have a back up for that one.
Thanks for your input my friend.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve consistently held the opinion that razors should be used; however, you indicated that a friend ‘untrusted you with it’, which in my opinion changes the analysis. Unless your friend endorses its usage, I’d keep it NOS.

View attachment 974458

View attachment 974457

View attachment 974459
Oh no!! I suspect the Gillette RFB is in trouble. Nice shaveoff, Brother. :a14:

R

romsitsa

I'd use it, it's mint, but lacks a few pieces (guarantee, canvas pouch, maybe blades) so I suspect it was used a few times.

Adam

I’ve consistently held the opinion that razors should be used; however, you indicated that a friend ‘untrusted you with it’, which in my opinion changes the analysis. Unless your friend endorses its usage, I’d keep it NOS.

Well the short story is I bought it from Mr Razor a few years ago. He had it listed for a lot of money. I had put in a much lower bid on it and for some odd reason he reached out to me and said based on your profile and posts etc on B&B id like you to have the razor as I feel it will be in good hands and you’ll take very good care of it. So he accepted my bid. He never said don’t use it. I think I just felt I should keep it as I got it. I will add I was at a point back then when I was building my collection so I’d get them and put them away and move on to the next one that was on my list. So the more I thought about the word entrusted and the way I used it I may have given the wrong impression of what was said at the time I acquired the razor.

Well the short story is I bought it from Mr Razor a few years ago. He had it listed for a lot of money. I had put in a much lower bid on it and for some odd reason he reached out to me and said based on your profile and posts etc on B&B id like you to have the razor as I feel it will be in good hands and you’ll take very good care of it. So he accepted my bid. He never said don’t use it. I think I just felt I should keep it as I got it. I will add I was at a point back then when I was building my collection so I’d get them and put them away and move on to the next one that was on my list. So the more I thought about the word entrusted and the way I used it I may have given the wrong impression of what was said at the time I acquired the razor.

Good story, Mr. Frank. :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Use it well, Frank! On to the Shave Off!

I'd use it, it's mint, but lacks a few pieces (guarantee, canvas pouch, maybe blades) so I suspect it was used a few times.

Adam
Adam I have some questions. If it came with a guarantee then yes that is not in the box. As far as blades there is no slot or room for a pack of blades in the case. Only in the blade bank which there are some. An are you sure it came with a canvas pouch? Reason I ask is unless it would be used to put the whole box in it there would not be room in the box for it as the case fits pretty tight in the box and I had an old Wilkinson 7 Day set that had a canvas pouch and there's no way that pouch would fit in the New Deluxe pouch. Where would I find the info on that. Just curious. I agree if these items were indeed a part of the set then it would have been used a few times. It does show no sign of wear so it would have been only a few I'd imagine.
I appreciate your input and would like to find out more about the razor.

Thank you!

Use it well, Frank! On to the Shave Off!

Well it looks like my mind is made up and I'll use it in the next Shave Off vs the RFB. I'd imagine it will not shave any different than the other New Deluxes I had so I know the razor as well as the RFB so it should be a good one.

Thanks my friend! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom