What's new

Micromatic Monday

Last, but not least, if you're like me and have a somewhat ummm let's say eclectic collection, then take a page from our multi-razor shavers. You'll find some great multi-razor shaves on this thread (of course) -- usually done by @GAW9576, who has been known to put the "multi" in the multi-razor shaves. And there's an excellent thread started by the same member who started this tread (@Twelvefret) called The Daily Double An excellent place to find inspiration
Okay, enough jabbering from me....what's it going to be? Perhaps a pure Micromatic (MMOC, MMCP, MMBT), or an older GEM (a Lather Catcher, Damaskeene, 1912 or Junior), or something a little "younger" (G-Bar, Feather Weight, Push Button, Contours). Will it be just 1 razor, or will you venture down the multi-razor path? Inquiring minds want to know :001_smile

Absolutely my friend. It is exceedingly rare that I shave with just one razor. Like a fork spoon and knife. Different tools for different jobs. And it's just more enjoyable to use multiple razors for me. I don't usually shave every day so it gives more opportunity to enjoy the diversity of my collection.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You all have now made it harder, since I joined the thread later I was just doing MicroMatic's, now I have to cover all the SE'S? Does this one fit in?

View attachment 974431
That is a interesting razor and there is a fellow who uses one on youtube and seems to enjoy it like your self.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
@Flintstone65 , Hi Fred. Thank you Sir for the kind words. I very much appreciate the warm welcome to MM.
I don't usually shave but once every five/six days (because I can). That is to say lol, I don't have to shave.
I like to grow my beard for nearly a weeks time and then I have a serious shave! I must admit, I am looking forward to trying one of my MMOC. Oooh ol, I did shave very recently. Fred, I don't know if you happened to see my thread regarding my FIRST experience using a SE Razor ? In case you missed it, you might find this (excerpt) of my experience amusing!

Originally posted in the thread :
Discussion in 'General Shaving Discussion' started by SixCats!

Justifying a purchased vintage Razor just for parts ?

.....Now, I do plan to try this (Brass ?) Micromatic Razor soon. Today however, I shaved for the FIRST TIME EVER
using a "Single Edge" Razor! I finally used one of my earliest Razor finds, an EVER-READY 1912. I LOVED it!
EXCEPT the part where I was shaving my Head using this Razor and, well, I became waaaaay too.......casual/sloppy and I sliced myself a good size cut into the backside of my Head (over an inch/closer to two inches)! Ugggh. Ah, screw it! Sure, it made a bit of a mess but, I patched it up and I'm sure it will heal quickly. Mind you, this CUT was MY fault and NOT the Razor's fault. Again, I LOVED the 1912 Ever-Ready (although I wish the handle was just a bit longer). Note that I had already made SEVERAL passes along my Head when this cut happened (also, it doesn't help that I can't shave and wear my Eye glasses at the same time). At any rate, after cutting myself and I finish shaving, I hopped back into a hot shower, washed my Scalp and face good using Peppermint liquid Soap and rinse. After shower, I used Witch Hazel, Styptic pen, Clubman Aftershave, Coconut Oil, Powder, etc. etc. Now, I'm BEAUTIFUL again!
So, let that be a lesson to all you new Head Shaving Guys! lol. Go slow and pay ATTENTION! Ugggh.

SixCats!
Great write-up, thanks for sharing it here!!! We're not sticklers about the actual day of the week for the shave....we've got shavers showing up at various days of the week depending on their schedule. I've sort of come out of retirement and I'm now forced to be at least a 5-day a week shaver (previously I would shave every other to every couple of days). I've found my razor preference has definitely changed when I'm required to shave with little-to-no growth.

And I'm always interested in hearing about the head shaves -- I'm probably a few years (less than 5 I would venture) from heading down that path.

Flintstone65

You all have now made it harder, since I joined the thread later I was just doing MicroMatic's, now I have to cover all the SE'S? Does this one fit in?

View attachment 974431
Absolutely beautiful!!! I've been on the look out for Rapides as well as a Heljestrand (which made a similar style razor). Very cool, and thanks for sharing!!!

Flintstone65

I was going to use my MMOC but went for the R41 instead, and had a wonderful shave. They are one as good as the other.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Just kidding :001_tt2:....I'm glad you had a good shave, and thanks for not forgetting about us!!! I've heard really good things about the R41, but I've been a vintage-snob for a while, so it's been on the list but I haven't picked it up yet. I'll probably wait until they stop making it so I can pay twice the price for the same razor....it's my modus operandi :lol:

I've also been returning to my DE's from time to time, but so far it's been trying the multi-razor approach....kind of a SE+DE thing.

Ron R

Took out the Micromatic flying wing(MMBT) and it produced a very nice shave CCS,DFS,BBS some where in that explanation and it's nice to use the Micromatics they are just a great razor IMO.
MMMonday April 24-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great Gem shaves!

Flintstone65

Looks like the MMBT is winning the Micromatic Monday race (so far)....it was actually going to be my choice today as well, but admittedly I had a last minute change and decided to do a "Beauty and the Beast" shave. It's a bit of a misnomer (as it turns out), but I'm sure you can tell who's who from the pics!
IMG_1707.jpg

The "Beast" in the case is the Burham 1909 open comb (I've also got the closed comb, but haven't taken it for a spin yet). The "Beauty" is none other than the truly beautiful Gem Push button. Here are a couple of more pics of the Burham, and then I'll do a quick review of today's shave:
IMG_1705.jpg IMG_1706.jpg
There is a thread on the Burham 1909 (patent date, not production date), and I'm planning on building that thread out a bit with my experience; but the short answer for today's shave is that the "Beast" was VERY tame, and the "Beauty" was her always mild but very efficient self. I did 2 passes with the Burham (WTG and XTG) and had very little blade feel, but I could hear a whisper as the whiskers were wiped away. The blade for the Burham was a fairly new (2nd shave de-spined GEM SS PTFE, and the blade in the PB was a fairly used (around 4 shaves) Treet Carbon blade. The PB was definitely needed for a full-on 3rd pass and then used for a touchup. The overall shave was extremely comfortable, and very close....sort of in the CCS-DFS-BBS range....to borrow a text-based scale I really like from @Ron R.

There isn't much out there (or here) on the Burham, but here it has a reputation as being on the aggressive side. This from someone who did not de-spine the blade, so the edge hung out closer to the teeth/guard. I didn't want to make that mistake, so I did take the spine off, but then it seemed pretty far back from the teeth, and so felt very mild. It shaved to me like the PAA Starling I tried recently....it cut, but I sort of missed the blade feel and wasn't efficient (unless the angle was spot on). It was the first shave, so I'm trying not judge it too harshly, but I was glad "Beauty" was there for backup. That PB continues to amaze me with it's ability to shave comfortably and closely....this was only the 2nd shave for this razor, but I really like it. All in all, it was a great GEMonday for me!!!

Ron R

Looks like the MMBT is winning the Micromatic Monday race (so far)....it was actually going to be my choice today as well, but admittedly I had a last minute change and decided to do a "Beauty and the Beast" shave. It's a bit of a misnomer (as it turns out), but I'm sure you can tell who's who from the pics!
View attachment 974545
The "Beast" in the case is the Burham 1909 open comb (I've also got the closed comb, but haven't taken it for a spin yet). The "Beauty" is none other than the truly beautiful Gem Push button. Here are a couple of more pics of the Burham, and then I'll do a quick review of today's shave:
View attachment 974548 View attachment 974547
There is a thread on the Burham 1909 (patent date, not production date), and I'm planning on building that thread out a bit with my experience; but the short answer for today's shave is that the "Beast" was VERY tame, and the "Beauty" was her always mild but very efficient self. I did 2 passes with the Burham (WTG and XTG) and had very little blade feel, but I could hear a whisper as the whiskers were wiped away. The blade for the Burham was a fairly new (2nd shave de-spined GEM SS PTFE, and the blade in the PB was a fairly used (around 4 shaves) Treet Carbon blade. The PB was definitely needed for a full-on 3rd pass and then used for a touchup. The overall shave was extremely comfortable, and very close....sort of in the CCS-DFS-BBS range....to borrow a text-based scale I really like from @Ron R.

There isn't much out there (or here) on the Burham, but here it has a reputation as being on the aggressive side. This from someone who did not de-spine the blade, so the edge hung out closer to the teeth/guard. I didn't want to make that mistake, so I did take the spine off, but then it seemed pretty far back from the teeth, and so felt very mild. It shaved to me like the PAA Starling I tried recently....it cut, but I sort of missed the blade feel and wasn't efficient (unless the angle was spot on). It was the first shave, so I'm trying not judge it too harshly, but I was glad "Beauty" was there for backup. That PB continues to amaze me with it's ability to shave comfortably and closely....this was only the 2nd shave for this razor, but I really like it. All in all, it was a great GEMonday for me!!!
iNTERESTING review and a interesting day for you Fred.

My three best razors are MMOC, 1912 and R41. Hard to choose between them, frankly. I bring the MMCP out once in a while too.

Ooh, ooh! This is an SE/Micromatic/Gem/ASR thread, so maybe I can get away with disparaging the R41!

My thoughts: shaves like this
EFB31860-76C0-4E4A-BD87-A4961D2AAAB8.jpeg

Just a little blade forward for a “safety” razor. Of course, YMMV. :001_302::001_302:

2019/04/22
Prep - Shower, Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, Proraso Green Pre-Shave
Razor - Gem 1912 / PAL Carbon(1)
Soap - Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated
Brush - Graydog 10098
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Sea Breeze, Blade for Men Arctic Blue, Grey Flannel
Passes - XTG, ATG X-hatching
Result - BBS

Gem SS died after 21 shaves. SO started up a PAL.

* Scented with Cedarwood, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Lemon, and Patchouli EOs

I don't usually shave but once every five/six days (because I can).

When I started shaving with DEs, I was shaving twice a day, because I could. Now that I'm no longer trying to increase my skill at it though, and have experienced a wide range of razors and soaps, I've cut back to once a day. Of course whenever new items come in the mail . . .

SOTD MMMonday - 4/22 lightweight, graceful plastic handles

Shower for prep

Opening act: GEM flipped in the brass bumpless MMOC; used to raise/even my beard line, up the neck 1/2”. Looks pale, feels sensitive there after a decade or two in the safety of the forest’s edge.

1 Schick injector for mow down, Gem Featherweight for second pass and touch up, MMOC for closer touch up
2 AccuTEC injector blade/GEM flipped (8)
3 Zenith B5
4 BOSC Special Reserve AC menthol
5 Alum and homebrew AS

The basic tools
17837B28-71C4-43BC-B724-6873056FC938.jpeg

This one didn’t pass without incident. Shaving something off the beard line is always fraught with potential damage to the self image. I liked the MMOC for that job. It doesn’t take any nonsense from the beard; plus I always know right where the blade edge is located.

The injector is ideal for fast mowing. But, the Featherweight bit me! Or, more accurately, I shaved a bit cavalierly around the Adam’s apple. Just a tiny light weeper, fixed by the alum which also reminded me that there was a 1/2” strip of skin that did not appreciate being dragged into the daylight. I was probably just mad at the Featherweight, but when it was mildly fudging the touch up I fired it and got ‘er done with the MMOC.

The champ
A0618975-0F3C-40D6-839E-E182CAA785A3.jpeg

Enjoy GEMMonday!

@Clay S , Hi Clay, Yikes! If I shaved my face twice a day, I'd have to change my name to "Mr. Weepers!"
Today, I'm "Jonesin" for another Razor but alas, I'm trying to control my RAD. Instead, I'm researching "Aftershaves & Witch Hazel" (of which I already have enough to be Truthful). However, since I am a loooong time "Fragrance Head" (Basenotes.net member since 2003) I'm thinking of concocting my own "Aftershave type splash" using (a less expensive) Witch Hazel such as "Dickinson's" along with a QUALITY Essential Oil and (last but not least) my very own "Home made" real Maine Beaver Castor Tincture that has been "stewing" for about ten years! This is going to be fun and interesting!

SixCats!

Ooh, ooh! This is an SE/Micromatic/Gem/ASR thread, so maybe I can get away with disparaging the R41!

My thoughts: shaves like this
View attachment 974593
Just a little blade forward for a “safety” razor. Of course, YMMV. :001_302::001_302:

Not even I am crazy enough to try shaving with that setup.

2019/04/22
Prep - Shower, Noxzema, Hot towel*, Lather, Hot towel*, Proraso Green Pre-Shave
Razor - Gem 1912 / PAL Carbon(1)
Soap - Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated
Brush - Graydog 10098
Post - Alum, Thayer's Medicated Witch Hazel, Hot Towel*, Sea Breeze, Blade for Men Arctic Blue, Grey Flannel
Passes - XTG, ATG X-hatching
Result - BBS

Gem SS died after 21 shaves. SO started up a PAL.

* Scented with Cedarwood, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Lemon, and Patchouli EOs

When I started shaving with DEs, I was shaving twice a day, because I could. Now that I'm no longer trying to increase my skill at it though, and have experienced a wide range of razors and soaps, I've cut back to once a day. Of course whenever new items come in the mail . . .

Twice A Day, dang. My beard doesn't grow that fast and my skin doesn't heal that fast. Even with the most comfortable shaves of my life I don't think I could shave twice a day every day.

@Clay S , Hi Clay, Yikes! If I shaved my face twice a day, I'd have to change my name to "Mr. Weepers!"
Today, I'm "Jonesin" for another Razor but alas, I'm trying to control my RAD. Instead, I'm researching "Aftershaves & Witch Hazel" (of which I already have enough to be Truthful). However, since I am a loooong time "Fragrance Head" (Basenotes.net member since 2003) I'm thinking of concocting my own "Aftershave type splash" using (a less expensive) Witch Hazel such as "Dickinson's" along with a QUALITY Essential Oil and (last but not least) my very own "Home made" real Maine Beaver Castor Tincture that has been "stewing" for about ten years! This is going to be fun and interesting!

SixCats!
Thayer's pretty much is an AS if you look at it's ingredients. I DIY beard and pre-shave oils, and it is nice coming up with your own scent. I might even consider store brand WH for making your own AS. Good Luck!

Twice A Day, dang. My beard doesn't grow that fast and my skin doesn't heal that fast. Even with the most comfortable shaves of my life I don't think I could shave twice a day every day.

It takes my face about 6 hours to fully recover from a 3 pass shave. If I tried chasing a BBS it takes longer, but I get them pretty routinely now. It is an off day, or time to do a blade change nowadays that it's not a BBS.

SOTD MMMonday - 4/22 lightweight, graceful plastic handles

Shower for prep

Opening act: GEM flipped in the brass bumpless MMOC; used to raise/even my beard line, up the neck 1/2”. Looks pale, feels sensitive there after a decade or two in the safety of the forest’s edge.

1 Schick injector for mow down, Gem Featherweight for second pass and touch up, MMOC for closer touch up
2 AccuTEC injector blade/GEM flipped (8)
3 Zenith B5
4 BOSC Special Reserve AC menthol
5 Alum and homebrew AS

The basic tools
View attachment 974595

This one didn’t pass without incident. Shaving something off the beard line is always fraught with potential damage to the self image. I liked the MMOC for that job. It doesn’t take any nonsense from the beard; plus I always know right where the blade edge is located.

The injector is ideal for fast mowing. But, the Featherweight bit me! Or, more accurately, I shaved a bit cavalierly around the Adam’s apple. Just a tiny light weeper, fixed by the alum which also reminded me that there was a 1/2” strip of skin that did not appreciate being dragged into the daylight. I was probably just mad at the Featherweight, but when it was mildly fudging the touch up I fired it and got ‘er done with the MMOC.

The champ
View attachment 974597
Enjoy GEMMonday!

Those razors look quite nice together and it looks like you're stepping up your game on the multi razor shaves. You should post that in
The Daily Double

Thayer's pretty much is an AS if you look at it's ingredients. I DIY beard and pre-shave oils, and it is nice coming up with your own scent. I might even consider store brand WH for making your own AS. Good Luck!

It takes my face about 6 hours to fully recover from a 3 pass shave. If I tried chasing a BBS it takes longer, but I get them pretty routinely now. It is an off day, or time to do a blade change nowadays that it's not a BBS.

I get BBS on my cheeks reasonably often.
I don't even try for it on my neck. All I can expect with the weird hair growth and more sensitive skin is CCS. Maybe it's my technique that needs improvement, I'm not sure if the skin can be toughened up.

Top Bottom