What's new

Going ATG

As I began the road to improving my open blade game, I quickly found that I could not go directly ATG (the only place I can actually do it without trouble is the cheeks). Only a decent solid bar DEs/SEs allows me to do that all over.

Instead I learned a hybrid ATG/XTG angle for my final pass that allowed me BBS with no battle damage.

I found going ATG on my neck easier than my cheeks.

I am with @RumpleBearskin - I’ve been shaving ATG this whole time...

Maybe that’s been the source of almost all of my problems. First WTG passes very seldom give me a hard time, and much more often than not, going gently across the grain is trouble free too. Unfortunately, I just can’t seem to be a satisfyingly close shave without going ATG in some areas. Other areas, XTG is quite sufficient, but if I want to get close with the missus, around the jawline, goatee area, and forward cheeks are going to need some ATG attention, or I’mma hear it about whisker burn.

I'm actually surprised to hear that many SR users may not go ATG on their face or even ATG at all. For me it completes the shave and gets me the results I want. I started doing a full ATG pass early on in my SR journey. I assumed most did as well.

For me, angle is also critical, so wrist control through the stroke is key. And I have found that I need some small pressure to prevent skipping (which makes a shallow angle absolutely imperative).

Pass 1: WTG all over
Pass 2: XTG on face, WTG using opposite hand on neck
Pass 3: ATG all over except XTG under my nose and XTG on my chin (unless I'm sporting a goatee)
Bah. I doubt that “many” SR users aren’t going ATG. Noobs maybe.

I can see not doing it when learning - especially if you still can’t keep your blade sharp, but you’re not finished if you haven’t gone ATG. But then that light growth look is trendy lol!

Bah. I doubt that “many” SR users aren’t going ATG. Noobs maybe.

I can see not doing it when learning - especially if you still can’t keep your blade sharp, but you’re not finished if you haven’t gone ATG. But then that light growth look is trendy lol!

Depends on your hair. I suspect my neck hair is about the consistency of some men’s cheek hair.

I’ve done South to North to South from day one.

My ATG was just a extension for my south to North neck pass. It happened one day out of the blue. I’ve let it evolve.

The aspirin thins my blood and makes it difficult to stop bleeding. Thus, I have to be careful to avoid nicks and cuts. I am just saying that with the right blade and the right technique, it is possible to shave ATG, despite the aspirin.

If I were on coumadin/warfarin rather than low-dose aspirin, I might reconsider shaving ATG with a straight razor. That is a much more potent blood thinner.

For those not on blood thinners, I believe it is possible to learn to shave ATG with practice. Start with the easy parts of the face and progress to the more difficult ones. Learning to shave with both hands helps as well.

Thanks @RayClem. That makes sense. I was put on a more potent blood thinner about a year ago, and immediately noticed the difference.

One thing you need to remember is that the ATG pass needs to be made with a much shallower pass than the WTG and XTG pass. The WTG pass can be made with a 30 degree angle to the face. Drop down a few degress when shaving XTG. When shaving ATG, the spine of the razor will barely rise off your face.

One thing you need to remember is that the ATG pass needs to be made with a much shallower pass than the WTG and XTG pass. The WTG pass can be made with a 30 degree angle to the face. Drop down a few degress when shaving XTG. When shaving ATG, the spine of the razor will barely rise off your face.

Good advice. Thank you

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I started ATG when I first started using a straight razor and it just evolved along with WTG and XTG. I never really gave it much thought. One way wasn’t any more difficult than another. One thing I’ve realized for me is that the smaller blades feel more natural and easier especially 4/8 but I don’t have trouble with larger blades it’s just that the little ones are easier and faster.

I've been going ATG since day one, but then I only shave every other day so my face gets a rest.
Shallow angle and a very sharp blade gets it done for me.

Only real troublesome part is around the chin area, where my old tough whiskers are densely packed.
That's when I notice if the edge isn't as sharp as it should be.

Somehow I can't see me not going ATG, wouldn't feel a complete shave then.

I’d say that going ATG is directly proportionate with the density of one beard where some areas lend itself to the practice more than others.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’d say that going ATG is directly proportionate with the density of one beard where some areas lend itself to the practice more than others.
I always went ATG with a DE so I just started that way with a straight razor. The only advice I remember taking was angle and pressure. When I saw all the various advice was confusing, I just started shaving and it all eventually came together. My whiskers are stiff because of age but I’ve never had a dense beard.

I have been doing ATG since day 1. Easy enough except on upper lip - I usually skipped ATG there even with DE. XTG is what I avoid - that's where I get nicks and cuts. But thankfully I can get really good shave skipping XTG everywhere but on either side of adam's apple. I touch up there with DE and call it good.

I like how close I can get ATG, but there is usually irritation so I dont normally do it. I have to use a really light touch if I don't want my AS feeling like acid.

I get why some go atg, but it always gave me irritation in my neck just because of the way my beard grows.

So now I do a two pass shave with opposite xtg shaves that do everything I need really. My first pass my blade goes SW and the next pass my blade goes NE( if that makes sense lol)

Until a few months ago I usually went ATG above the neck and under the chin, but stopped after getting a few ingrowns while shaving with a Feather Artist Club. I had never experienced an ingrown hair before regardless of shaving method. I am not sure what I need to change to avoid that but think I need to reduce the amount of stretching or blade angle a little to avoid shaving as close.

I always went ATG with a DE so I just started that way with a straight razor. The only advice I remember taking was angle and pressure. When I saw all the various advice was confusing, I just started shaving and it all eventually came together. My whiskers are stiff because of age but I’ve never had a dense beard.

The density of the beard is a significant factor. It means going over the same areas too many times to get a BBS. I overdid it yesterday, we spoke about it. When I did a trial run with the Arko you sent my face stung and got very red. I think it was because of the two pass with the SR and three with the DE. I had done this out of curiosity. I've learned the hard way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The density of the beard is a significant factor. It means going over the same areas too many times to get a BBS. I overdid it yesterday, we spoke about it. When I did a trial run with the Arko you sent my face stung and got very red. I think it was because of the two pass with the SR and three with the DE. I had done this out of curiosity. I've learned the hard way.
Seems to be the most common way of learning.

Top Bottom