What's new

How much patina is too much?

What's the crustiest looking razor you've used? Looking for pics if possible. I have a couple of finds that I don't want to go to heavy on the spit/shine (so to speak) spectrum but I don't want to be using a total rust bucket either. Unless the rust bucket is safe to use then fine.

I have 2 soaking in hot water/Dawn right now that I'll take pics of here in a bit.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
There's a difference between patina and crusty looking. What type of razor are you referring to, spolct?

A tarnished silver plated single ring has patina, a disgusting Slim that looks like it spent a decade underwater is crusty. I don't shave with crusty.

You'll need a tetanus booster for this one, mine won the ugliest adjustable in 2011. Parts only razor.
The Ugliest Razor We Have Ever Seen Contest! Winners in Post #174

proxy.php

Personally, I would prefer to get my strarazors to be spotless and shiny. My vintage Gillettes, on the other hand, just need to be clean. No amount of scrubbing them will make them look like new, only like brass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There's a difference between patina and crusty looking. What type of razor are you referring to, spolct?

A tarnished silver plated single ring has patina, a disgusting Slim that looks like it spent a decade underwater is crusty. I don't shave with crusty.

You'll need a tetanus booster for this one, mine won the ugliest adjustable in 2011. Parts only razor.
The Ugliest Razor We Have Ever Seen Contest! Winners in Post #174

Right now I have a PAL Injectomatic that's pretty brown. The other one is a 20s Old type. It's got a bit of green that needs to come off but isn't exactly shiny. This was after the last soak a few months ago and it's been hanging out off to the side ever since.

Yeah, I'd use that. It's got a later Tech handle you know.

Yeah I had posted it a while back (the pics were already in my media gallery thing) and someone had indicated that it had a Tech handle. I fully plan on using it, I just need to scrub off the green bits in the comb that were left over from my first cleaning.

The SE is my main question - I'll post pics here in a bit.

Regarding patina and not the crusted ones, I guess it depends on the user.

I like bright finishes and like to keep my raw Old Type and Bronze looking new. Some prefer the patina. If you prefer the patina, life is easier, but if you give a light polish and or homemade brew monthly, option 1 isn’t too bad.

My favorite is my Matador Diplomat. I call it my Kermit razor and for very good reason.

before:
matador before.JPG

after:
matador after.JPG

It is also one of my best shaver.

This is the worst condition razor I have. The Blue Tip in the mug was mostly green on the razor head. I’m still working on saving it.

proxy.php

My razor with the most actual patina is my finest.

proxy.php

Here's a '46 Aristocrat (missing end caps) that I rescued from the Salvation Army Thrift Store.
I boiled it to soften up a lot of soap crust inside, and much verdigris came of with it. The finish on the top was so far gone (with pits and deep scratches too) that it was unpleasantly rough to shave with. I can't imagine how it got that way.
The highlights are what was left of the plating.

Having nothing to lose, I sanded the doors, centre bar, and the ends with grits from 240 to 1200 down to the bare brass and then very cautiously polished it on a buffing wheel with some (blue, I think) buffing compound.
This also got rid of the grey solder spots where the end caps used to be.
I didn't touch the handle.

Bear in mind that it was the extreme wear that convinced me to sand and polish the top. If it was simply a bit tarnished or had a bit of plating loss, I would have just settled for getting the soap crust and verdigris off.

It's perfectly fine for shaving with now.

Last edited:
I love my vintages to be as pristine as possible - and I only acquire great condition specimens.

This is my only crusty razor, unsable, I bought it for restoration but it turned out to be unable to tighten up. Kindda like it for the comparison pics :)

E7EDC788-0EEC-434F-85D8-3D17101DAE1D.jpeg

Top Bottom