What's new

Stop buying everything, enjoy your products (newbies watch this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nicholas:

This is the second thread where you have voiced your dissatisfaction regarding the choices you have made regarding your shave purchases. While I can sympathize, I would remind you that you are speaking of your experiences and feelings, not universal truths. As is so often stated by the experienced members, YMMV (your milage may vary). That is a universal truth.

So I thank you for contributing your experiences and opinions, but I ask you to please recognize that they are exactly that, your experiences and opinions.

proxy.php

What if I do it another time? How would that make you feel?

Dissatisfaction is your own conclusion, not a universal conclusion. Keep that in mind.

Also, if the second thread you're referring to about my "dissatisfaction" is the "some razors just don't hold their value", then you're wrong again. The value of the razors I have is pretty high. lol

In conclusion: get over it.

I wonder if he could have made the video without props.
Holds up the shave cream brand over 40 times, holds up the same cart razor over 25 times, and holds up the brush over 11 times. 3 products got a lot of love in this video. Smooth!

After a few minutes, I got the feeling that this video was an advertisement for the products that he now uses.

All you need to verify the claim is gain access to a facility with a wind tunnel. Some golf balls, definitely have better aerodynamic construction (external surface material). Once you know which ones, then you can buy for sure. :001_302:

The best advice I ever heard about golfing was "Keep your head down and swing easy." If my balls go too far, they end up out in the prairie where the rattlesnakes will fight you for them.

@Nicholas,

It's good to see others are taking the non-addictive approach because it gives me people to talk to here.

I have spent $97.40 since Nov 27, 2019 when I started DE shaving. I loaded up a bit since I planned to start the Sabbatical this year. Thankfully, I avoided getting any addictions. I plan to make it through 2020 without buying anything.

NAP - Non-addictive Personality

I was going to say that I was impressed with how little you'd spent until I noticed that you've somehow managed to spent $100 half a year before even starting ;)

Jokes aside, I'm at about $70 spent myself. Just planning on picking up a Yaqi synthetic brush and stock up on Arko and cheap bulk blades, then I should be set.

I was going to say that I was impressed with how little you'd spent until I noticed that you've somehow managed to spent $100 half a year before even starting ;)

Jokes aside, I'm at about $70 spent myself. Just planning on picking up a Yaqi synthetic brush and stock up on Arko and cheap bulk blades, then I should be set.

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm in the 2019 Sabbatical with no exceptions. I shouldn't have to buy anything in 2020. In 2021, I'll buy 100 Astra SP blades and have Williams Soap as an exception.

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm in the 2019 Sabbatical with no exceptions. I shouldn't have to buy anything in 2020. In 2021, I'll buy 100 Astra SP blades and have Williams Soap as an exception.

Your post said that you started DE shaving Nov 27, 2019, which is what me and the other guy were joking about. I'm assuming this was meant to be 2018 :001_smile

That seems like a good plan to me. I need to get bulk due to some import tax changes in my country, so my plan is a big box of Arko and 500-1000 blades this year.

I do regret many of the stuff in my den, only because what I used to think was the best was no longer the best in my experience. Many of them have been eclipsed hence why I have slowed down and try not to stock up cause I know there will always be something new down the road. I will only be stuck with what used to be the best of the best, and soaps, even brushes and razors for that matter rarely becomes hidden treasures or true investments that can significantly impact my life.

The video is good and I agree with the message, but to me it is kind of stating the obvious, "don't spend too much, enjoy what you have, most of them are good etc etc."

After experiencing things for yourself, and reading various opinions and endless discussions you begin to have a nose for real enthusiasm, hype driven by marketing, exclusivity and scarcity, fanboyism or plain shilling. That's the ugly side of our hobby, and I suppose that can be said about almost everything. From perfumes, to shoes, to watches so on and so forth.

There are a few products that I think are tremendously overrated and hyped but out of respect for my fellow enthusiast I try to keep these opinions to myself. One thing I learned is price in many cases is arbitrary and not the ultimate indicator of quality. Some makers are good at marketing, and I respect that, after all it is a business.

One of the best parts of our hobby is the journey of finding our own individual favorites and hidden gems, but I agree it can be expensive and can get out of hand. The message to me is echoing the obvious but it's a good reminder to slow down, though oftentimes the lesson is futile unless learned personally through ones own experience. To us dealing with some of this regret we can only share our experiences, it would be up to others if they will find value in it or not.

If I was starting out, and I still had my ravenous appetite for new products and I saw this video or message or post, I would certainly stop and think, but after a couple of weeks and there's a new hyped product that I will be reading about, on and on, I just know I'll revert back to my ravenous mode and forget that wisdom altogether. Sometimes the best teacher is our experience, if I am being honest, even at this point I still get tempted even though many times at the back of mind I am sure it will not be as mind blowing or as earth shattering as I've read.

Enjoy the hobby but please don't hurt your wallet when doing so. It's not easy to enjoy something when at the end of the day it has taken it's toll on your peace of mind due to overspending. There will always be something new, something better, or best of the moment, that is pretty much guaranteed in our hobby that is growing day by day. I have seen many products come and go, and I don't have a lot of things in my den that I truly think is worth the cost of peace of mind.

Last edited:
You said your spent your money since November 2019, which hasn't yet occurred.

I think we all can take this video with a grain of salt. I do agree that there is a limit to a quality of a shaving product. Most people can stick with $100 worth of shaving products and make it last for a while. However, some of us do enjoy the variety so being able to try other products is a kind of joy as well. So be wise and purchase within your budget. It is very easy to justify your purchases when it is simply for the sake of variety or trying it out. Sometimes, recognize that you want this product just because you want it. If you have the budget for it, get it. If not, rethink your decision and maybe save up for a special occasion.

I simply refuse to give much thought to what others do in this hobby. Be happy. There are some for whom the minimalist approach works. I'm not one of them. I really enjoy trying new things. My eyes are wide open and it no financial strain to buy a new soap. I don't buy looking for the "best". I enjoy using them all. Same way with brushes and razors. This will become boring very fast if we were all become the same.

I agree with this sentiment.

If you find yourself telling people how to enjoy their hobby, you are probably doing it wrong. While I agree with this whole post, to me this is the most important part.

btw love The Boondocks.

Both sides of the issue have merit.

Everyone needs at least one serious hobby, for reasons of mental health. Serious hobbies also are educational. Serious hobbies cost money.

...and some serious hobbies cost more than others. This one has got to be on the lower $$ end of the serious hobby spectrum.

I feel this video by Chris is aimed at the bloated marketing/shilling recently circulating on social media by PAA, Rich man shaving and Razor Emporium.

I'm on 2 FB groups - one general and one buy/sell. The general one seems to be a bunch of Italians, PAA stuff, and that soap club thing. Now that I think about it I'm not sure why I'm still in that one - I'll have to fix that.

I'm sure that there's some shilling going on here on the super low-low but at the end of the day I have an idea as to what I like and have found a handful of soap makers that put out a good base with interesting scents. I'm sure that there are others out there but for now I'll stick with what works for me and try to weed out the noise.

I agree. You dont NEED all this gear, nor do you even need nice gear. Whether or not it is, "worth it" is really a personal decision.
Id say that for most of us, shaving is a hobby and we view our spending on shave gear in that light.

Like everything Nikos , You and You alone have to make the choice .
I believe Chris said that in his video.
People always want what they perceive to be the best , take the Iphone for example
apple changes a few things and people line up I know same with the other phones as well.
Variety is the spice of life as the old saying goes and it is nice to try different products. Just because it took Chris Bailey 10 years to figure out
That one must use self control and if you can't afford something don't buy it.

I wonder why he chose Harry's. could it be that they advertise on TV and the Radio non stop how it is the best shave you will get . That is what promoting one's product is all about ,whats a vendor going to say "nothing new here same old stuff" so just buy my stuff. SELF CONTROL is the answer .
+1

@Nicholas:

This is the second thread where you have voiced your dissatisfaction regarding the choices you have made regarding your shave purchases. While I can sympathize, I would remind you that you are speaking of your experiences and feelings, not universal truths. As is so often stated by the experienced members, YMMV (your milage may vary). That is a universal truth.

So I thank you for contributing your experiences and opinions, but I ask you to please recognize that they are exactly that, your experiences and opinions.
This.

I'm on 2 FB groups - one general and one buy/sell. The general one seems to be a bunch of Italians, PAA stuff, and that soap club thing. Now that I think about it I'm not sure why I'm still in that one - I'll have to fix that.

I'm sure that there's some shilling going on here on the super low-low but at the end of the day I have an idea as to what I like and have found a handful of soap makers that put out a good base with interesting scents. I'm sure that there are others out there but for now I'll stick with what works for me and try to weed out the noise.

Anyone taking clues from Gillette's malicious business practices with reverance has only one goal in mind - how to leech money from the customer more than their competitor. Ceran wrap that in 'artisan' marketing and it's sipping cash out of your pocket on monthly basis. Those that don't care how a sausage is made will likely tell me to shut up right now. I understand their perspective too.

Anywho. I believe Chris' message is not about boycotting manufacturers, but to practice some consumer self control, be skeptical of lates-'n'-greates promos, don't expect businesses to moraly police themselves, don't obsess over performance, it's all good and it will shave you well. He's not saying live with one soap/brush/razor, but don't chase perfection and enjoy the variety of what you have (see Nikos' thread title). Some people can't pay their bills yet can't stop buying expensive shaving soaps that will get very little use, if any.

I recommend everyone to watch TrevieB's "The Mirror" youtube video playlist:

@Nicholas:

That's true for most every thread on the forum. If he wants to post more threads discussing this again, I do not feel it's any of my business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom