What's new

WOLFMAN Razor - Waiting List

Part of human nature seems to be to want what we cannot have. There is a bit of irrational behavior because after we finally achieve whatever it is, the actual having is anticlimactic. If we could perhaps take this into account, we would want less and be happy more.

I was just thinking to myself that this is the world's most easily solved problem. Don't want one. Then you don't have to go through all this.

What did you get?

I'm excited you got one. The WR2 is great.

I actually didn't pull the trigger. I have a titanium WR2 that I love. I am on the hunt for a SS WR1. I am hoping me not getting another Ti that it gave someone around here the opportunity to get exactly what they wanted.

@Dragonsbeard and @loot have been great answering questions about Wolfies and the gaps. Thanks again to them and their contributions.

Okay . . . I am going on the quest. I think that I will try for a WR1 DC head. A post earlier mentioned specifying gaps for each side . . . am I reading that right that you can get a different gap on either side?

Next step would be blade gap . . . my current fave set ups are the Karve OC "B" plate and SB "C" plate, so somewhere in the 0.80mm - 0.88mm range, I guess. Likely stick with SS. Wish me luck, boys.

Last edited:
Okay . . . I am going on the quest. I think that I will try for a WR1 DC head. A post earlier mentioned specifying gaps for each side . . . am I reading that right that you can get a different gap on either side?

Next step would be blade gap . . . my current fave set ups are the Karve OC "B" plate and SB "C" plate, so somewhere in the 0.85mm - 0.98mm range, I guess. Likely stick with SS. Wish me luck, boys.
Yes you can have a different blade gap for each side on a Wolfman. The last one I ordered was a WR2 with a 1.35 blade gap on the solid bar side and a 1.25 blade gap for the Open Comb side. If I may recommend the blade gap on the Karve are not equal to the blade gap on a WR1. A C plate on a Karve would be closer to a .61 blade gap on a WR1 and a .95 on a WR2. Hope this helps.

Thank you . . . what causes this? I mean a gap of (eg.) .75mm is .75mm no matter what, yes? Or is this more a factor of the geometry of the razor itself?

Thank you . . . what causes this? I mean a gap of (eg.) .75mm is .75mm no matter what, yes? Or is this more a factor of the geometry of the razor itself?
The Karve has negative blade exposure while the Wolfman WR1 is very slightly positive also the cutting angle of the blade affects the shave. Blade gap is only a part on how a razor shaves.

I also have the WR2 DC in multiple gaps. 1.25OC/1.15SB in Ti and 1.15OC/1.05SB in both Ti and SS. It’s a nice way to mix it up if you’re not too concerned with uneven blade wear.

While chances are low of actually getting one.. I have to know.

I’d probably go for the WR2 in DC (one open one smooth). Based on my enjoyment of shaves with a Karve OC D and the Rockwell 6C plate 6, what you be recommended?

Was think about 1.05 SB and OC.

My advice is to always choose the upper limit of what you think your aggressiveness need is. If I had to pick only one gap, it would be the 1.15. If that’s not for you, you’ll never have a problem trading or selling it. It seems like most people go for the mild option the first time and and there always seems to be people willing to trade a milder WR2 for a more aggressive one.

My advice is to always choose the upper limit of what you think your aggressiveness need is.

My tried and tested formula is to pick the gap one rung below the most aggressive one being offered. (also helps to read other users' reviews carefully)
I think it also helps to know how you see this razor being deployed.

Every day, once every 2-3 days, for those thorny week-long growths.
All that can influence the decision.

I can say that for daily use, the WR2 0.95-1.15 is a good range to
be in, depending on what your personal aggression limits are . Anything more and
there will be nothing to shave the next day, or your skin may protest.

A guy called Dan Law (dont know if he's a member here) has written
a wonderfully insightful piece reviewing the WR1/WR2/BBS-1 heads
and comes to some very informative conclusions. It's a great read,
you (as in, other readers) can find it if you poke around on a couple
of other forumsthat I'm not sure I can link to here.

Thank you both for your very helpful replies! I’ll make sure to look for that review as well.

My tried and tested formula is to pick the gap one rung below the most aggressive one being offered.

That's my strategy, as well. They wound up being just right for me, both the WR1 .80 and the WR2 1.15, so no trades necessary.

Top Bottom