What's new

Stop buying everything, enjoy your products (newbies watch this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a talk with a friend last night and today he sent me the following video.

You really can't imagine how much I agree with what Chris says in this video. Last time I watched a shaving video on Youtube was months ago, but this video deserved my attention. I've spent a few thousands of euros on shaving stuff the last years. A ridiculous amount, but ss razors are expensive... I did not buy my first traditional shaving equipment to save money or because my shaves with carts were bad. No. My shaves were pretty good with a Mach 3. I just liked the ritual and the stuff I saw at a barbershop. I was curious. And the rabbit hole was waiting for me. That's all.

If people say that carts are garbage, they're wrong.
If they say that you need to spend a lot of money on premium soaps, they're wrong.
If they say that the feel of an expensive badger brush and "that" batch is better, they're just trying to justify their spending.
I could go on...

Forums do fuel our spending until we realise we don't have to give our money to vendors and artisans to buy all these products. Most of them won't get used, so you just give money to store products in case you need them. It's ridiculous.

I've had enough of the hype all these years. I'm sick of most reviews of people who try to promote artisan's products and samples of "that" glorious new formula they received for free. I'm sick of people who are friends with artisans and vendors and try every single time to tell us about how amazing this product or "that" vendors is. There are plenty of them on forums. If forums didn't exist, most artisans and vendors wouldn't exist too. They gain a ton of money "taking advantage" of our craziness. I bet that most vendors and artisans use pretty basic stuff and don't care about the hobby. They're in for the money.

Don't fool yourselves they way I (and Chris and many others) did.

I won't engage in a discussion with people who fail to understand my point. It is what it is.

I go through alternate cycles of feast and famine when it comes to shave gear.

I see a famine coming very soon.

I agree. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on your gear. I can get a great shave with my cheap stuff just as much as my more costly stuff.

I don't eat the same meal everyday, why use the same products everyday? I like variety. My financial situation is a lot different from others. If it were ten years ago I'd be using just an Arko stick with a synthetic. Heck, I still get excited when I find cheap stuff in the wild. I just picked up 3 Supermax creams not even 30 minutes ago for two bucks a pop. Cheap and quality.

I'm more suprised that someone like Chris who was a Youtube reviewer for years [vendors sent him products to make a review, even expensive razors (Hello Blackland) for free] just came out and said the truth. This is huge, because that was his "job". I guess he got sick of it as well.

Vendors, artisans, soapmakers, razor makers etc. will say anything to sell their products. Anything. They need people like Chris, Youtube reviewers, established/long-standing forum members to promote their stuff.

Great video. I'm a newbie who's guilty of RAD. I'm starting to feel that I've gone overboard with my buying. I'm now selling some of the razors I don't use or like. I'm doing the month of using the same setup and finding out that I really don't need so much to get a great shave. The advice here is excellent.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Like everything Nikos , You and You alone have to make the choice .
I believe Chris said that in his video.
People always want what they perceive to be the best , take the Iphone for example
apple changes a few things and people line up I know same with the other phones as well.
Variety is the spice of life as the old saying goes and it is nice to try different products. Just because it took Chris Bailey 10 years to figure out
That one must use self control and if you can't afford something don't buy it.
Vendors, artisans, soapmakers, razor makers etc. will say anything to sell their products. Anything.
I wonder why he chose Harry's. could it be that they advertise on TV and the Radio non stop how it is the best shave you will get . That is what promoting one's product is all about ,whats a vendor going to say "nothing new here same old stuff" so just buy my stuff. SELF CONTROL is the answer .

I struggle with your point. Marketing works. But at the end of the day, if you can’t manage your money, don’t tell others who can, to manage theirs more strictly.

I’ve been at this wet shaving thing for a while and let me tell you, with more demand comes more vendors. More competition equals better quality product. Just because you don’t value the subtle increases in quality and feel shaving with Proraso everyday is your deal, doesn’t mean everyone should.

Chris has some good points but it seems to me like he’s simply burnt out. Too bad for him. As for the rest of us, We are in a golden age!! I love the variety we have now as compared to a mere ten years ago! Do we need it? No. Do we like it? Uh, yes please!

Your argument is akin to financial products in a free market. Most of them are junk and do you or society no favors. But at the end of the day they support capitalism as it stands today. To ask for accountability and refrain in finance or in consumerism my friend, is akin to communism! You’re not a pinko red are you?

Lol! Fight the good fight @Nicholas - but know you’ve already lost, and fighting it will only separate you from the world as it really is. Which may or may not be a good thing.

Best - earcutter

Well, while being partially true, you need to try stuff until you find what works. And everyone comes to the realisation after years of spending tons of money. I've been into this kind of shaving for only a month and I've realised that spending money on software is more enjoyable than hardware. My goal is to get the Rockwell 6S which virtually has every setting I will ever need and a good build quality, then I can spend money on soaps until I find out what scent/brand works for me. I don't think anyone would or can shave with only 1 soap 1 razor 1 aftershave for the rest of his life. Sounds kinda miserable when you have such a wide variety of products to use. But sure spending 20-30 on a soap sounds extreme (at least for my budget) I bought a Razorock for 10 and I still felt kinda weirded out. Proraso (my first shaving soap) still feels nice but it's not perfect, simple scent mediocre aftershave feel. Trying out new stuff is very enjoyable, I am looking forward to going to the shop near me and trying the new scents and exploring the world of shaving. Enjoy what you enjoy while not breaking the bank. I think that's the best advice. It should be a hobby after all not an addiction.

Remember Nancy Boy when it was all the rage?

proxy.php

https://www.nancyboy.com/search.php?search_query=Shave&Search=

I'm slowly finishing up and giving away products. I want a small amount of what I like. Over these short years I've purchased lots of stuff. A few products I've gotten a second. Mostly it's just trying things out. I'm close to picking what I prefer and sticking to it. I think it's important to try different things and samples help with that. Yes I have been guilty of spending my money when I shouldn't. I have too many straights ,strops ,stones and products. It has been fun though and I think it's ok to get a little carried away sometimes.

I get the point, but why stop there with shaving? How far does this argument extend. I think the soap/brush/razor world has exploded and it's very accessible, not dissimilar to fragrances, shoes, coffee, tea, tech, etc.

I had and have so much enjoyment trying out all kinds of kit. And everything IS different. My eyes are wide open, I know what's up with companies. These companies aren't here trying to fill a necessity void, this is all luxury. These soap guys aren't donating their time and resources to us free or providing products out of the goodness of their hearts, definitely not for $20-30, or limited edition, limited location releases.

the video rant could be about anything, it's very banal. it's conditionally true depending on where you are in life.

It does sound like burnout from someone who has had the ability to try lots of stuff (for free perhaps).

Sounds like nice reasonable guy who finally hit his threshold for the obvious. or been watching a lot of Marie Kondo.

It does make for interesting conversation and discourse, but as an absolute argument for how to enjoy life and the many situations and conditions that change over the course of time...

I get the point, but why stop there with shaving? How far does this argument extend. I think the soap/brush/razor world has exploded and it's very accessible, not dissimilar to fragrances, shoes, coffee, tea, tech, etc.

I had and have so much enjoyment trying out all kinds of kit. And everything IS different. My eyes are wide open, I know what's up with companies. These companies aren't here trying to fill a necessity void, this is all luxury. These soap guys aren't donating their time and resources to us free or providing products out of the goodness of their hearts, definitely not for $20-30, or limited edition, limited location releases.

the video rant could be about anything, it's very banal. it's conditionally true depending on where you are in life.

It does sound like burnout from someone who has had the ability to try lots of stuff (for free perhaps).

Sounds like nice reasonable guy who finally hit his threshold for the obvious. or been watching a lot of Marie Kondo.

It does make for interesting conversation and discourse, but as an absolute argument for how to enjoy life and the many situations and conditions that change over the course of time...
If you explore the human condition and narrow the condition down to a single word, the word could very well be, “need.” Consumerism feeds need. Perpetuates it. That’s why you see the universality of it all

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. Throw me in the enjoy with responsibility camp.

Hard drawn lines in the sand only raise hackles and create divisiveness. Be happy for those enjoying the hobby, whether you/they choose to go all out, enjoy the simplicity, or somewhere in the infinity between.

But sure spending 20-30 on a soap sounds extreme (at least for my budget) I bought a Razorock for 10 and I still felt kinda weirded out.

I still remember the days I had the same feeling, but it was a long time ago...

My first "expensive" razor was the Futur. I felt like I spent a fortune on this... Little did I know... Also, my first "expensive" soap was a D.R. Harris Windsor refill, which ended up being the most expensive hand soap I've used so far.

You see things differently as years go by, that's true. However, if an experienced shaver tells you that enjoying is more important than buying, he knows.

I didn't watch the video, but I've seen marketing hype from many sources and the truth is that 'they' get sneakier and sneakier. Try finding a critical review of a mountain bike from a mountain bike magazine. Or a firearm from a firearm magazine. Or a 'paid' youtuber. I think that this forum is a great place that seems to have real genuine people interested in spreading the good word of shaving. There's a ton of stuff out there and it's easy to get caught up in it. I see some flying the flag of "STOP BUYING ALL THE MARKETING HYPE" and others flying the flag of "OMG CHECK OUT THIS NEW GREAT STUFF FROM THIS GREAT VENDOR" but personally I try to find my own way and what works for me. I can barely control the voices in my head, much less the voices on this forum.

As the AA folks say: Take what you like and leave the rest.

@Nicholas,

It's good to see others are taking the non-addictive approach because it gives me people to talk to here.

I have spent $97.40 since Nov 27, 2019 when I started DE shaving. I loaded up a bit since I planned to start the Sabbatical this year. Thankfully, I avoided getting any addictions. I plan to make it through 2020 without buying anything.

NAP - Non-addictive Personality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom