What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Great write up! That was a lot closer in overall score than I would have predicted, just 1 point. These are two of my favourite razors. I am surprised that the Timeless was more efficient than the BB to be honest, but you call the shave offs as you see 'em (or shave 'em).

Another great shave off Frank. That is the one I thought would win but I did not think it would be that close. Talk to you soon.
Happy shaves
Jason

Thanks Jason
It was a close one as far as overall shave closeness but the Timeless was noticeably smoother.
With that said that was the best BB I’ve used so far.

Hope you feeling better and have a speedy recovery my friend!

Great write up! That was a lot closer in overall score than I would have predicted, just 1 point. These are two of my favourite razors. I am surprised that the Timeless was more efficient than the BB to be honest, but you call the shave offs as you see 'em (or shave 'em).

Yes it was close and based on the closeness I got from both the Timeless surprised me but it may also be the blade I used. Kai’s are made for a Timeless but maybe a different blade in both might have had a different result.

What’s kind of funny is how efficient I used to think the Timeless .95 was but compared to some of the other razors I’ve been shaving with lately it seems like a pussycat now.

Although I’ve never used either razor, after following this thread, I’d thought the Timeless would significantly outscore the BB but it was very close. Perhaps this exemplifies the parities of the moderns as all those artisans are making exceptionally smooth and efficient razors. If Gillette’s vintage razors represent the golden age and monopoly of DE shaving maybe we are in the guilded are on wet shaving.
I have to agree with you AJ since the introduction of the modern day artisan razors a few years ago we’ve certainly come a long way! While I enjoy my vintage razors from the golden era of razors I’m also very much enjoying all these modern razors just as much but in a different way.

Good post my friend!

I did my own comparison of my Blackbird SS SB vs Timeless SS OC 95 tonight

I just received the Timeless, I have about a dozen shaves on the Blackbird. Forgive me @Dragonsbeard I'm going to borrow your outline if you don't mind.

Both of these are my personal razors. I will be keeping both, though not so much because both are so good (and for me, they are a pretty big step up over my prior razors) but because I wanted them so I got both with the intention to have both. I went with polished for the Timeless, and machined for the Blackbird. I personally feel like these finishes represent the ethos of both razors quite well; I get the Blackbird is named after the famed SR-71, but I dont personally like PVD or PVD like coatings. I've also seen one in person and I maybe don't see how the very nicely designed razor is supposed to follow the aesthetic of that plane but that is neither here nor there. I have the shorter handle on the blackbird. The Timeless I had built, which btw came to me in fantastically quick time, was ordered with both the 85mm barberpole handle (which I have used) but I also got a 100mm that was on sale just to have two, and in case I wanted another SS Timeless (I will most likely order one for my father as a gift, given how nice it is presented and how good of a razor it is). I have the smooth cap, 95 blade gap, OC and I went with the polished finish. As was mentioned the razor is quite hefty and the finish is quite nice. If I may make a comment, I feel the Timeless is priced a bit better given the total package I got with the razor, though I think both are very reasonably priced in the grand scheme of things. Or maybe other collecting hobbies have messed with my sense of value lol.

Shave gear:
Gillette Silver Blue blades
Declaration Grooming Sellout in Icarus base
Razorock Big Bruce
Bowl lather in Captain's Choice bowl
Tallow + Steel Merry splash/aftershave whatever it is

I was originally just going to do my normal mostly WTG + XTG but once I was done I did something I dont do and wont do again; shaved ATG. It's a skill, and not one that I have, nor do I really care to. In all honesty, I want a razor that can do a smooth 2 pass and cut close enough to just do touchups and call it quits. Both of these do that, in spades I might add, but hey you only live once. I came in with my usual 2 days growth.

Pass 1: I have a pretty basic beard pattern that sort of resembles the Atari logo with one little section with reversed grain but the transition between the two is not so bad so no real challenges. TBH with a good razor I just power through as I tend to come down on the reverse section somewhat orthogonal to the grain there anyway. I decided to use the blackbird first as it's a known quantity to me and I got the shave that in the few short weeks Ive had it I have grown to love immediately. Lots of feel, yes, but not a bad feel. The analogy I would use would be like a pencil on paper. It just crushed the growth. It's kind of an odd feeling after you've shaved though, the feel when youre going over an area feels like it's going to be irritated, but you dont actually get any afterwards, and combined with the Icarus soap I was using meant as soon as I was past an area it just felt great. The blade angle is not counter-intuitive, but it's definitely specific. The Timeless, conversely, is very natural. It also feels smoother, despite the terrifying visual the blade gap gives you the first time you look down at the head. Despite this, I agree with the sentiment that it might be slightly more efficient. Of course, I am comparing OC to SB here, but still. But, it is not all in favor of the Timeless; the blackbird is immediately easier to handle due to weight and head size. After the first pass is complete, I would call both 'good enough' which is to say about where I would end up after 2 passes with my X3 lol, but I have a slight preference for where the Timeless has left me.

Pass 2: I would note here that pass 2 is, of course, a bit different feeling. There is a noticeable dropoff in feedback from the Blackbird and I can't really say I feel much difference at this point. This pass is unremarkable in the best possible way; precisely the sort of drama free second pass I want coupled with the efficiency to call it done. To me, results with the Blackbird are ever so slightly better.

Pass 3: I knew I shouldn't, but I did anyway. Here, I expected some challenges as I've heard ATG is not the Blackbird's strength. My first few swipes have me thinking there could be some truth to this. Thankfully, the soap is bailing me out here. But as I use the Timeless on the other side, to be honest I actually thought it was worse. I would have guessed the obvious extra rigidity would have helped, but instead I think the weight got the better of my poor technique with ATG. Needless to say, I took this pass very slowly and still ended up with a bit of blood loss, but really I deserved it. What I judge from this is the lighter weight of the Blackbird probably makes it a more "newbie friendly" ATG shaver. But, with that said, holy **** is my fave smooth on both sides. I will not judge results on this pass as my technique wasn't up to it.

Summary: normally I would have stopped at pass 2. And at pass 2, I would give a slight edge in results to the Blackbird, personally. And, I find the weight of the Blackbird and head geometry winners for getting around my face. So it may surprise that I think the Timeless is the winner for me and the one I will probably use a bit more.

It would be easiest to explain via analogy. I love the E46 M3. I really do. In fact, there is one parked at the garage at work that I look longingly at every time I see it. I have driven them, and when I (read: my back) was younger I put some serious miles on one at quite a rapid speed. There's nothing quite like the scream of an engine at 7000+ rpm. But, these days I have downgraded to a "regular" 3 car. I am able to commute to work at what is also probably considered a quite rapid speed (and I frequently do on our fine Texas toll roads), but the whole thing is much softer, gentler and uneventful. Is it boring? You know it. But my back thanks me every day for my choice.

So I ultimately have the conclusion that the Timeless is just a *tiny* bit better fit, for me, and I expect the gap to widen slightly as I get more reps with it.

I should say I used the BB several days in a row, which I also don't do, and I never felt like I was pushing my skin. That's a pretty serious accomplishment IMO. I will try the Timeless again tomorrow evening and see what happens.

@trashcanmagic excellent review of your experience so far with both the Timeless SS .95 OC and the Blackbird SB. Sometimes people start out honing and perfecting their techniques on much milder razors and others like yourself will challenge yourself by purchasing a more efficient razor or in your case two. Both razors have their own DNA and characteristics and learning to use them both will present some challenges along the way but in my opinion you’ll end up with a better technique and getting better shaves on a consistent basis.
Love the whole car analogy. As a person who stated racing cars when I was 17 yrs old and retiring only a few yrs ago I can relate very well to your comments.

I will suggest that if you feel like reading and looking at an alternative shaving technique go to post number 3599 in this thread and check out my SSSST.. you may find it to your liking.

I will also like to thank you for posting your very detailed review in this thread. It’s great for members who follow this thread to the hear different shaving experiences of others.

:a14:

@trashcanmagic excellent review of your experience so far with both the Timeless SS .95 OC and the Blackbird SB. Sometimes people start out honing and perfecting their techniques on much milder razors and others like yourself will challenge yourself by purchasing a more efficient razor or in your case two. Both razors have their own DNA and characteristics and learning to use them both will present some challenges along the way but in my opinion you’ll end up with a better technique and getting better shaves on a consistent basis.
Love the whole car analogy. As a person who stated racing cars when I was 17 yrs old and retiring only a few yrs ago I can relate very well to your comments.

I will suggest that if you feel like reading and looking at an alternative shaving technique go to post number 3599 in this thread and check out my SSSST.. you may find it to your liking.

I will also like to thank you for posting your very detailed review in this thread. It’s great for members who follow this thread to the hear different shaving experiences of others.

:a14:

I will give it a thorough read through.

FWIW though after using a single DE for two years upgrade razor nr 3 has been purchased already; a Raw Shaving RS-10 with mid-aggressive plate. I'm also on the hunt for a Charcoal as soon as they are back, and a stainless Paradigm, not to mention a few others.

This thread is an inspiration of sorts. Not great for the wallet, I suppose, but a good source of information to find other candidate razors before I lock into another monogamous razor relationship.

I will give it a thorough read through.

FWIW though after using a single DE for two years upgrade razor nr 3 has been purchased already; a Raw Shaving RS-10 with mid-aggressive plate. I'm also on the hunt for a Charcoal as soon as they are back, and a stainless Paradigm, not to mention a few others.

This thread is an inspiration of sorts. Not great for the wallet, I suppose, but a good source of information to find other candidate razors before I lock into another monogamous razor relationship.
WOW your on the move with building a stash of modern high end razors my friend! Hey why not. Life is to short! LOL

UPDATE:

Ok so the there has been a lot going on in the treads talking about New Deluxes, RFB and New SC, New Improved and New SC. As I've stated in some of those threads I sold my LC as I didn't like it as I found it not as efficient as the SC or as smooth and my New Improved just didn't do it for me so with the other 3 left and in this contest I've decided to use all 3 in the next 2 Shave Offs. Starting with the New SC vs the RFB and whatever razors takes the Shave Off then that razor will take on the New Deluxe Big Boy. I'm in need of a shave right now so I'm doing the first Shave Off tonight.

So tonights Shave Off will feature:

Gillette RFB vs Gillette SC

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

A fantastic matchup of two of my favorite vintage Gillettes. Both are great shavers, but I think the RFB will edge out a win! (See what I did there...:a29:)

A fantastic matchup of two of my favorite vintage Gillettes. Both are great shavers, but I think the RFB will edge out a win! (See what I did there...:a29:)
LOL I'm interested to see which one comes out on top. Smoothness is one thing and effciency is another and although this is in the " Smoothest Razor " section I'm going to consider efficiency as bigger factor than normal and comment on it seperate from the the smoothness comments.

:a29:

Shave Off complete:

Gillette SC vs Gillette RFB

So as I mentioned before I wanted to run the 3 razors. The Gillette New Deluxe, Gillette RFB and Gillette SC so for the first Shave Off I paired up the SC vs the RFB and what a excellent Shave Off it was! Sometimes I think we forget with all these modern artisan razor hitting the market all the time that there are some awesome shaving vintage razors that are in some cases very reasonable priced when compared to a modern razor. So the Gillette SC I have is on the handle it came with and I'm not sure if it's the original but the razor itself is fairly light weight. The RFB I have had the ball end handle on it and honestly I've never liked those so I had this Tiban Ti handle lying around and for me it works really well with the head. I'm no historian so I'll leave that to the experts as far as history and razor specs etc. if they chime in. All I'm trying to find out is how these two razors compare in 2 passes using my SSSST and what kind of characteristics do they exhibit.

I decided to do a standard WTG and ATG pass and not doing any buffing at all. I didn't use Feathers which is usually my first choice but rather I used some Polsilvers which I haven't used in a while. Decided to use Proraso white for this shave and the Declaration Grooming Fan shave brush that @Sharp_Obsession Jared sent me to try out which I'm liking and since I do a lot of painting when using Proraso the big fan was perfect!

Gear used:
Gillette RFB
Gillette SC
Proraso White shave cream
Proraso White aftershave lotion
Polsilver blades
Declaration fan shave brush

1st pass WTG - I decided to start on right side of my face for the first WTG pass using the RFB. I was on only 2 days growth but my beard grows quickly so a good bit of stubble to cut down. The RFB went right at them to as I made my way N to S and it's been a while but this is one smooth yet efficient razor! I love the small head and it was excellent around my mouth and under my nose. Blade feel is very mild but the audible feedback is loud enough to hear throughout the shave as long as you don't have the water running or your blasting Led Zeppelin on the radio. The razor felt very manuverable to me and I don't know if the Ti handle helped that or not but it was very easy to maneuver around my face. Finished the pass and an excellent one for sure! To continue downward I grabbed the SC and after only like 2 or 3 strokes it was clear to me that this razor has a bit more blade feel which is not a bad thing but it was there. Unfortunately the SC got my right side neck with it's bad cowlick and weird beard growth to take down but I have to say it did a good job of mowing down my 2 days of growth on the first pass. So another excellent pass. With the SC in hand I wanted to see how it felt on my face so over to the left side and the trip N to S pass. Well the razor was up to the task and although it has a bit more blade feel as I stated before it is by no means harsh in any way. I played with the blade rigidity after I loaded the blades in and the SC definitely hold the blade more rigid than the RFB if that means anything to you as a shaver. Had another excellent pass and picked up the RFB to do the last WTG pass and with my left side of my neck a lot more cooperative than my right side so the RFB took down my growth without any drama whatsoever! One more excellent pass in round 1 of this Shave Off.

2nd pass ATG - Taking the SC to the base of my right side neck I used my hand towel to get a good skin stretch and started my journey N going ATG and this Short come was pretty much singing the same song as it did on the 1st pass. Not loud but not soft. Blade feel did seem a little less than on the 1st pass and it seemed as it was taking down whatever stubble was left from the 1st pass. Got up to right under my jawline and picked up the RFB and continued upwards and there was a immediate difference in blade feel and smoothness between the RFB and the SC with the RFB being the smoother. Also I'll note the RFB was more manuverable and I'm not sure if it's because I have a Titanium handle under it but it was noticeable within a few strokes. I had no problems going ATG under my nose which not all razors are good at and it was very smooth yet efficient both on my chin and around my mouth. Excellent pass and in face this was the best pass of the entire Shave Off for me. With the RFB in hand I went over to the base of my neck on my left side and started my ATG pass S to N and once again this razor was just hitting on all cylinders for me and it provided another terrific pass! I grabbed the SC to shave my face and on my cheeks it was great and probably the best pass for the SC but it was not as good going ATG under my nose and so I switched to XTG both ways to get rid of the stubble that was left. Around my lower mouth and chin I had no problems and all and all other than under my nose it was a very good pass!

Post Shave:

Rinsed with warm then cold water then headed for the fridge for my iced cold splash of Thayers unscented. Came back and cleaned my gear while my face was drying. Right before it was dry I used some of the Proraso Aftershave lotion which is still my favorite lotion. It's light and not like a balm which sometimes I find to heavy on my face!

Summary:

Since this is the " Smoothest Shaver " Shave Off I'm going to go to the scoring system to get a winner of this Shave Off.

Scoring System:

Gillette SC

1. Smoothness = 48 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 17 points
3. Balance = 8 points
4. Maneuverability = 3 1/2 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 81 points

Gillette RFB

1. Smoothness = 50 points
2. Efficiency = 17 points
3. Balance = 8 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 83 points

So the Gillett RFB takes this one as it was noticeably smoother and a bit more manuverable at least in this configuration. With that said the efficiency was almost identical. I got a Level 2 BBS on my face with the exception of a couple of areas on my chin and lower jawline which were BBS level 1's and both sides of my neck were also BBS Level 1's with the exception of an area under my ear on my right side where it was also a Level 2 BBS which is were the RFB shaved. For those that are wondering this sounds like it was a close one..I can say believe me it was very close! If this was based on efficiency alone I'd have to call this one a tie.

So next up is the RFB will take on the New Deluxe Big boy which BTW is a NIB Chromium one and I'm not sure it's ever been used. I sold my other 2 New Deluxes as I've been thinning out my den and having 3 of the same razor was just to much! Anyway looking forward to taking the ND on its maiden voyage.

Great shaves my friends!

DB

B57CCB30-ED96-4E0D-A59B-2925A117A183.jpeg

46C91EDC-4CAD-4AF5-AC2D-3676D2E9AF1F.jpeg

A6957F83-A7D0-40FA-ADA9-7D1BF6676534.jpeg

Great shave off Frank! Can’t go wrong with either of these razors and both can be found for a very reasonable price for how well they shave.

That was a great read my friend. The RFB sounds like a great razor. I like my SC, so if the RFB is even smoother it has to be great. Look forward to the next match up.
Happy shaves my friend
Jason

Great shave off Frank! Can’t go wrong with either of these razors and both can be found for a very reasonable price for how well they shave.

Thank you my friend and your right they can be had for a very reasonable price for as good a shavers that they are.. RFB’s seem to be a little more than the SC.

That was a great read my friend. The RFB sounds like a great razor. I like my SC, so if the RFB is even smoother it has to be great. Look forward to the next match up.
Happy shaves my friend
Jason
Thanks buddy
Both good razors to have in the den. Can’t go wrong with either one.

RFB vs New Deluxe next!

Nice review of 2 wonderful vintage razors. Now I’ll be looking for an RFB. Thanks a lot my friend LOL

Thanks Mark!

I think you will really like the RFB. Two pass smooth BBS 2 on my face and level 1 on my neck with a Polsilver. Next Shave Off against the Nee Deluxe I’m putting Feathers in both to see if they kick it up a notch!

Top Bottom