What's new

Rotation question

Is there any advantage to how your rotation of razors plays out?

I mean, I could shave with the same razor until it needs touching up, then move on to the next one in rotation. Alternatively, I could shave once with each razor, then again with each razor, until one needs help, when it falls out of the rotation.

Is there any advantage to doing this one or the other way? Is there an even better option?

My rotation is more of a "collection of active razors". No set order in the 7 on the counter. Maybe I use a different one each day, maybe use one a couple of days in a row, maybe use one on a couple non-sequential days. Rarely do I use a razor more than twice per week. So I essentially use them through the week as the mood strikes me. I "flip" them in the rack so I know which have had at least one use.

Then on weekends I take all the razors I used that week to the pasted balsa and I'm ready for the next week again. So nothing ever "falls out" for me unless I choose to change my active razor set. Always a sharp blade waiting for me over the year I've been doing this SR thing ...

"Use the force Luke trust your feelings". In short do whatever you feel like there and then and don't let any self imposed rules limit your experience. I can shave with the same razor the whole week or seven different razors during one week. The only benefit that comes out of shaving with the same razor for an extended period of time is that you adapt your technique to that specific razor.

There are so many limitations and rules to follow in everyday life so why not take every opportunity to add some spontaneity whenever possible?:001_smile

Edit: This is stated by a polar bear that has so many razors that I could shave for a good part of the year without having to shave with the same razor twice.

I have most of mine stashed. I keep out a few and shave with the same razor until it needs a hone. I never shave with a razor out of the stash without honing it first.

i choose one to reflect my mood, complement my brush and enhance the scent/feel of the lather.

but mostly i just grab the closest one.

I use all of my straights in the same order always. Edges stay consistent and I can go a long time without honing, and then I hone them all at once.

I use a seven day rotation and only make note of the date honed. That way when a razor needs honed I can simply count Tuesdays or whatever to see how many shaves it has been since the razor in question was honed.

I simply use the one that suits my mood, catches my eye etc....thats the beauty of having a large enough collection that one can choose from.

The twenty plus razors in my collection are used in random order based on the one I feel like using each morning. I have two cigar boxes in two drawers. The razors are moved from the on-deck box to the ready for balsa stropping box as they are used. When the on-deck box has four or five razors in it I get out the balsa strop and refill the on-deck box. Works for me...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It doesn’t really matter in my opinion. Occasionally I may use the same razor for several days and sometimes change daily. I take 50 laps on .1 pasted balsa after each shave but may take a couple down to 14k and just strop between shaves for a change since I did somehow manage to get one too sharp and it caused razor burn.

Top Bottom