What's new

New jnat club member.

Decided to join the jnat club so I bought a couple Ozuku stones as well asa set of Asano Nagura and the stones came with Tomo Nagura.

Up until now I had only used coticules to maintain my edges. While I had been enjoying my shaves from the coti I knew I needed something A little sharper.

The new stones came in today and I’m excited to start my jnat journey.

Wet

161D35E8-7A41-466C-9EAE-A8183ED2FD72.jpeg

Dry

F85EDC84-D21B-44C3-8A3C-2E4DC0055C2B.jpeg

Family picture with the two Tomo Nagura that came. The tomo are actually huge almost the size of the Ozuku stones
F29D01B3-02E5-450F-84F8-1A581DC9796B.jpeg

Looking forward to trying out the stones. I honed up my le grelot on my coti to my normal standards. Will do some water only passes first and see how that goes.

3A18D233-20DA-49BD-902A-52C60CC48E3A.jpeg

Did some passes on the Ozuku with a light slurry and then diluted to plain water. An amazing smooth shave. I will be honest my best shave in a very long time. I should have bought a jnat years ago lol.

looks great! Those tomo stones are massive
I don't have good luck with plain water on my japanese stones.

Haha yeah I was pretty shocked when I saw them. They seem rather low grit so I might not use them as a final tomo. Will experiment just to be sure.

I will also experiment with water vs slurry and how it’s best to finish on these stones.

2 of them!?
Which one do you like the most? :001_cool:

So far I like the size and feel of the smaller one. The one that looks almost striped and dirty. Will be putting the other razors on the stones tomorrow to see if I can get just as good of an edge.

Ozuku you can certainly try diamond plate slurry easily. You dont have to. But if your playing you may want to see where it gets you.

I don’t actually have a diamond plate. All i have are a couple coticules and these new jnats.

But have been thinking about getting one. Maybe I’ll have to!

You have many choices. You can get a DMT card to raise slurry for a reasonable price. Or you can buy full size plates for more but these can be used for steel as well. The choices are as big as your budget. Lol.

You have many choices. You can get a DMT card to raise slurry for a reasonable price. Or you can buy full size plates for more but these can be used for steel as well. The choices are as big as your budget. Lol.
Haha yeah lots of options for sure. I will probably just buy a small one to use for slurry and to help with lapping. I’m done with my razor ad phase so I only need to do an edge refresh on my razors. Nothing to extensive.

It’s funny. I ended up buying two or three massive Mikawa Nagura on accident when I first started. I wasn’t reading the weights. But still liked the prices.

These are huge. They will last quite a while.

Were I opt to buy a synthetic nagura for an Ozuku stone what would be a good choice?
On the other hand, what’s a good call for a natural nagura for the same stone?

Were I opt to buy a synthetic nagura for an Ozuku stone what would be a good choice?
On the other hand, what’s a good call for a natural nagura for the same stone?
Diamond plates are really recommended. Most places send a tomo with your stone if you ask.

Sorry forgot to also say I’m tempted to grab a Koma. Hear they are good for a razors edge
They are expensive, and doesnt do that much in progression, unless you want to use it as a finisher. Most people go tomo nagura after koma.
But always fun to experiment, right? :001_302:

Well, I have a plate (pretty worn DMT 1200) and I got my Ozuku from CKTG. Don’t think they include tomos. Guess I’m ok

They are expensive, and doesnt do that much in progression, unless you want to use it as a finisher. Most people go tomo nagura after koma.
But always fun to experiment, right? :001_302:

Yeah I guess I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. Getting pretty good results so far.
Well, I have a plate (pretty worn DMT 1200) and I got my Ozuku from CKTG. Don’t think they include tomos. Guess I’m ok

Yeah if you have the dmt you should be fine. Is this your first one or do you have other jnats? You could always just rub two buggers ones together.

No. Just one. Gonna use it for a finisher. Most probably will pick up a Japanese Synthetic (around 6-8k) nagura to go along with the DMT (1200)
once I find an inexpensive one.

Top Bottom