What's new

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Will the 3.6 barrel of the 320X be adequate enough for a range gun?

We do have another couple of handguns for range shooting (a Sig P239 40 and a S&W K22). The 3.6 barrel does give me some pause and is part of why I'm keeping such a close eye on reviews. So far I'm still only hearing good things.

Here's another...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's certainly NOT just Sig, many modern guns are made with a modular trigger group that is "the gun". Even the little Beretta Pico and S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 are the same modular design. The Taurus Spectrum is yet another example.

The advantage is mostly regulatory but also financial. I much of the US if you want a full size and a compact and a sub compact you need to buy three guns and get the required permissions and waiting times and additional costs associated with local and regional requirements. With the modular trigger group as pistol you buy one pistol and go through the paperwork and licensing one time. For the other two you order on line and it gets shipped to your door with no background checks, no paperwork, no licensing issues.

And I promise you, simply pulling out the whole works makes repairs and adjustments and even deep cleaning a whole bunch easier.

If I have already filled out my paperwork for my first 320. And am already legally recorded as the guns legal owner? Everything else that you posted about regulations and what not, is already, an easy stroll downhill. Which makes the bolded part of your post, the only part which would interest me.

99 times out of a 100. People are going to: A. Choose the grip frame that fits them best from the get go. And B. stick with that first choice forever. Because, C. Why is that? Because that is the frame and grip that fits them best.
D. Why would I switch to another that is too big for my grip, or too small for my grip. Where is the need to modulate to a different frame and grip?

Why would I want a sub-compact at the range, but have no intention to conceal carry? I also know, why I would want a full-size for just a range gun over a sub-compact for just a range gun. And I would probably, settle for the mid sized compact if I wanted a single 320 that would do range and concealed; and would never consider all 3. Ever. And While this is my opinion only, I am confident, 99 of 100 typical firearms owners would have this same logic or go this same route in not purchasing many slides, barrels, frames and many different length magazines, just to incorporate, one, single, solitary, fire control group.

your miles may vary. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

We do have another couple of handguns for range shooting (a Sig P239 40 and a S&W K22). The 3.6 barrel does give me some pause and is part of why I'm keeping such a close eye on reviews. So far I'm still only hearing good things.

Here's another...

I agree with you, absolutely. I can see the virtue and would purchase a 320X in a second for a range gun. It's heavier, wider, much more substantial in weight and substance for a solid range platform. But only .5 inches of barrel above a 365? And I already have a 365? Can the control fire group between the 320 and 365 can be switched up?

I don't think so. So "modularity" (is that a word? :) ) wouldn't help at all. So if I like Sig guns, I would want just a full size 320X with a 5 inch barrel for the range; and a P365 to carry concealed. Won't need extra barrels, slides and frames along with a bunch of different lengths of magazines which will only make Sig Sauer richer and no other benefit to me as an owner of a 320 model who's modular system, is moot from the get go. I can be modular at the gun counter, and hold all three sizes from the start, figure out which frame fits me exactly, and what exact size of slide and barrel that I know I will be using for what, Range? Carry? Both? Pick that one gun and never think about it again.

Edit: I was just thinking Connie. If you hadn't planned, on carrying your 365, what, you have had it 3 months now since Christmas? If the 320X would have came out 4 months ago? I wonder which of those two you would have now? :)

Last edited:

Intrigued

@OkieStubble

If it were just me everything you say would be valid, but you keep overlooking the "we" part.
My husband got "me" the P365 for Christmas but it was registered in his name. Since we both liked it, we decided to leave it in his name and pickup a 2nd one after the Shot Show. Now I'm leaning toward getting the 320 XCompact as we both like the look of it and registering in my name instead of a 2nd P365. Now is it making more sense?

As far as being a "range" gun, I think it's likely that most handguns do 99.99% of their shooting at ranges anyway. I am not going to be shooting competition nor am I likely to spend long periods of time at a range (loud noises wear me out). I have never liked Rock or Heavy Metal. To me it is just so much noise. There I said it. Now you all will really think I'm strange. :blink:

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble

If it were just me everything you say would be valid, but you keep overlooking the "we" part.
My husband got "me" the P365 for Christmas but it was registered in his name. Since we both liked it, we decided to leave it in his name and pickup a 2nd one after the Shot Show. Now I'm leaning toward getting the 320 XCompact as we both like the look of it and registering in my name instead of a 2nd P365. Now is it making more sense?

Yes Ma'am. :)

As far as being a "range" gun, I think it's likely that most handguns do 99.99% of their shooting at ranges anyway. I am not going to be shooting competition nor am I likely to spend long periods of time at a range (loud noises wear me out). I have never liked Rock or Heavy Metal. To me it is just so much noise. There I said it. Now you all will really think I'm strange. :blink:

I think, you are right in your thinking. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Although I like modularity as a concept of modifying a given weapon, for me, having three pistols with one "fire control group" has little appeal to me. I like to be able to change calibers or barrel length, but to "over use" a single trigger group makes less sense. While I dislike having to go through the process of filling out a 4473 for each weapon I purchase, it is not a big deal in my state and goes through very easily in most cases. Now some thing like a registered drop in auto sear makes more sense.

I agree for most consumers the modular aspect of the 320 isn't a big advantage. Although depending on the cost of the slide and barrels it might save some money if you want to switch calibers, but unless the savings is fairly substantial I think it would be more of a hassle than a benefit. However for the military which is what it was originally designed it makes more sense since it would be easy to adapt to different sizes of soldiers hands and for different mission paramaters such as whether it is being worn as a regular sidearm or for something more covert where it needs to be concealed.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I can't really find any negative reviews of the P320 X Compact yet. Have you also considered the P320 X Carry though? It and the X Compact have the same width. The X Carry comes with 2 more rounds than the X Compact, but is only .2" taller. The barrel and sight radius are both .3" longer, and the overall length is only. 4" longer. Depending on how the grips fit your hand, the longer sight radius and extra capacity might make it a more fulfilling range/home defense gun. Just some food for thought.

Intrigued

A P320 XCompact followed me home last Saturday. Finally got a chance to take to the range today.
The short version is, I really like it! :001_smile

Intrigued

Will the 3.6 barrel of the 320X be adequate enough for a range gun?

The length of the barrel was one of my biggest concerns but after only one range trip with it, I have to say, I think I found my goldilocks (not too big and not too small, just right) range gun.

I was just thinking Connie. If you hadn't planned, on carrying your 365, what, you have had it 3 months now since Christmas? If the 320X would have came out 4 months ago? I wonder which of those two you would have now? :)

Both! :001_cool:

I can't really find any negative reviews of the P320 X Compact yet. Have you also considered the P320 X Carry though? It and the X Compact have the same width. The X Carry comes with 2 more rounds than the X Compact, but is only .2" taller. The barrel and sight radius are both .3" longer, and the overall length is only. 4" longer. Depending on how the grips fit your hand, the longer sight radius and extra capacity might make it a more fulfilling range/home defense gun. Just some food for thought.

We should try to meetup at the outdoor range someday soon and you can check out the XCompact. I would be happy to hear your thoughts and impressions.

I’d be interested in her insight of a comparison between the XCompact and the 365?

I'm too new to shooting to have much, if any, insight. :001_tongu As for comparing the two here goes...

The XCompact is more comfortable and enjoyable to send bullets down range than the 365. It's easier to sight. That being said, my current accuracy is about the same between the two. That includes shooting them with live rounds and a laser bullet at a laser target. If I were to ever decide to conceal carry it would be the 365. For home defense it would probably be the XCompact.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
We should try to meetup at the outdoor range someday soon and you can check out the XCompact. I would be happy to hear your thoughts and impressions.

I would love to. What have you been shooting through it? I could bring a couple different options to see if it likes one round over another. Maybe one of these next few weekends, weather permitting?

The fully modular concept is indeed innovative and I can surely see the practical aspects of same....to an extent.
I have “adjustable” grips (different backstrap inserts) on two of my pistols-
Glock 26 and HK P2000 SK. Nice enough; especially as I have big hands.
But, I think that larger handguns are a better all around choice than (sub) or compact pistols for a one size fits all pistol. All goes back to.....yep, how you carry it.
With the correct holster I can tote my Hi Power, SIG P220R, or either of my 1911s with few if any real problems.
Hey, remember Mel Gibson in “Lethal Weapon”? He did fine carrying around that Beretta 92F.
Granted a large frame, 4”-5” barrel will be more of an effort to press into service as an EDC than a Ruger LCP, SIG P365, or S&W J-frame. But then you’re gonna have more fun at the 25 yard line with the aforementioned larger pistols than a S&W Bodyguard or Beretta Pico.
Or...just buy a couple. Life is short.

@nortac
Have an SRT on my P220R. OEM on my P229. Hardly a subtle difference. Two completely different guns. Which is better? Only you can decide.

Intrigued

As far is being modular goes, about the only plans I have for it right now is to buy an extra slide someday and have some sort of red dot sight mounted on it. Currently Sig Sauer has an offer for an RX slide assembly with a Romeo1 mounted on it. I'm reading really mixed reviews on the Romeo1 so I'm taking a pass on that, though I like the idea of being able to change the sights up with a simple swap of slides.

OkieStubble

Finally got to put 400 rounds thru the new Sig X Carry. 17 round magazine, two tone slide and frame milled for a red dot and front slide cut out for ported barrel. Loved the flat trigger! Very little take up with no resistance, shortest and lightest wall I have ever experienced on a striker fired pistol. Creep was very nominal and short before reset and reset and break was light and crisp.

I LIKE IT! :)

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Intrigued

Finally got to put 400 rounds thru the new Sig X Carry. 17 round magazine, two tone slide and frame milled for a red dot and front slide cut out for ported barrel. Loved the flat trigger! Very little take up with no resistance, shortest and lightest wall I have ever experienced on a striker fired pistol. Creep was very nominal and short before reset and reset and break was light and crisp.

I LIKE IT! :)

View attachment 976686

View attachment 976687

That one yours? :001_smile

Found this video comparing the the XCompact with the XCarry yesterday.

Top Bottom