What's new

What other niche hobbies are you all into?

Hehe.
proxy.php

Well, thanks!
Some tips for kids and kites:
  1. Don't buy a kite that tries to look like anything other than a kite. Avoid square-rigged pirate ships, 3D dragons, birds, butterflies, etc. The worst I've ever tried to fly looked like Darth Vader's Tie Fighter. It was bridled wrong, not very aerodynamic, and exploded on contact with the ground.
  2. Let out lots of line, say, minimum 200 feet for one of those standard plastic deltas. You must let it get above ground turbulence. Ten feet of line on a kite will become a "cat on a leash".
  3. You should not need to run to launch a kite.
  4. Some cheap plastic kites can be very good flyers with a wide wind range.
  5. Paradoxically, very young kids are easily bored by kites that fly themselves. They want to be the agency that makes the kite go up, so they'll run with it, sometimes in tight circles, ignoring any awareness of wind direction. I fact, a plastic single-use grocery bag with the handles tied to 10' of string may provide just as much amusement.

Verra nice!
Some of those pieces (cowboys, horse's head, lighthouse) would look even more awesome as part of a screen door.

FWIW:

Once saw a yellow shopping bag way up in the sky. Watched it for some time, expecting it to come down, but in those several minutes it actually seemed to climb.

On running to launch: What if you have insufficient or inconsistent ground wind? Does it pay to run to get the kite higher to better winds, or should you just not bother?

Wetshaving, whether it be with straights or DE is definitely a niche hobby (although one that seems to be getting more popular!). Figured I'd ask what other niche hobbies you all are into, whether it be unique collectibles/art/sports/cars/writing/photography/etc related.

Me, I enjoy fountain pens despite having horrible handwriting and cooking.

What's a niche hobby? Right now I'm getting back into recording local history from the realization that I'm the last person to know about some things or locations. Does that classify as a niche hobby?

Those are very nice looking kites, we used to fly kites at recess in A country School. Of course a bunch of boys would see who can get it up in the air the highest, and spend an extra few minutes after recess taking it down or tie it to something and hope it was still there later, nice memories.
I've got a street bike and xr650r dirt bike not much time for those .
.Purchased an excellent metal detector, but it's about the same way when I work all of the time,.
Really too much work and not enough play
Haha

What's a niche hobby? Right now I'm getting back into recording local history from the realization that I'm the last person to know about some things or locations. Does that classify as a niche hobby?

I would say that’d qualify. I would say it’s a hobby that has its own culture, or at least very devoted/enthusiastic fan base.

I'll add that the whole point of the post is to give you all a chance to share something your passionate about with the rest of us. It's nice being able to share interests that we may not always have a chance to talk about. So everyone should be encouraged to post!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My 83 FXE (Superglides were rigid mount engines). Sadly we had to part ways a couple years ago.

948292F1-5751-4E08-A047-071599A924C0.jpeg
Interesting to me how many of us like similar things.

For me it’s:

Rigid motorcycles; usually racked out Yammy XS650s but occasionally an older Harley.

Porsches; I’m a 964 fan from way back.

Books; I’m a voracious reader, everything from any type of history to Richard Kadrey and Sandman Slim to cop fiction to Heinlein and Zelazny.

Dabble with photography.

Dabble more seriously with writing.

Music; I’m a guitarist that once in a while plays bass. Mostly downtuned sludge/doom metal but some faster thrash stuff too.

I also write orchestral stuff using Kontakt for some commercials and indie video games.

Most recently I took up DE shaving, cause you know. It’s cheaper than dope.

Sort of...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I build (typically by sewing spinnaker cloth) and fly kites.

An FF04A Flowform:
Those tails are 22.86 m (75') long (from front of white segment to end of black tip).
Sending one these up is like being next to a Shuttle launch.
A closeup look:
proxy.php

2.5 m long by 2 m wide.
The front ends of the 8 cells are wide open.
I fly it on 100 or 250 pound braided Dacron line, depending on the wind.

A Brazilian fighter kite, scaled up about 1.5 x normal size to make it less twitchy.
Great for when the wind is erratic, and not too strong, say 4-10 km/h.
The extended spine is 48" long.
proxy.php

It has an RCAF roundel.

An "Urban Ninja" glider kite, for when the wind is 0-5 km/h.
Wingspan 1.36 m.
I fly it on 20 lb. Dacron fly backing line.
proxy.php

SWMBO taking it for a spin:
proxy.php

A Dunton-Taylor Box Delta, approx 73" wingspan.
Originally designed for vertical sprint racing, it's a dependable flyer that you can stake out and leave.
proxy.php
John:
Beautiful & awesome kites (such a wonderful and simple pleasured past-time). :thumbsup:
proxy.php
"A kite flies even higher with strong adverse wind. So don't despair, enjoy flying your kite whilst the wind blows". Mufti Ismail Menk

BTW...I would have added goaltending, but since my THR (total hip replacement: right hip), in 2018...my doctor won't clear me to play again, but at least he did say I can skate (with moderation).
proxy.php

"A hobby a day keeps the doldrums away". Phyllis McGinley

Would have thrown off the whole “3-C’s” thing too. Sorry to hear about the injury though. As a Buffalonian in the Carolinas hockey used to be a big part of my life and now is nowhere to be found for miles. Everywhere I’ve lived there’s been an NHL or at least an AHL team to support. Used to play a lot of pickup games as a kid.

Fresh- and saltwater fishing, hiking, snorkeling, skydiving, USPSA shooting competition, hunting (but haven't gotten out for a few years), reloading ammo, amateur gunsmithing and building, building computers, smoking meats, trying to get decent at outdoor photography.

Being a gear and tinkering nerd the tools, customizing, and gear for all of the above are a big part of the experience. It's good to have a lot of storage and work space, and a patient wife.

I build (typically by sewing spinnaker cloth) and fly kites.
That's really cool. A few weeks ago I saw folks starting to gather for a kite festival on the Washington D.C. Mall. The variety and flying skills were amazing to watch.

Last edited:
Fresh- and saltwater fishing, hiking, snorkeling, skydiving, USPSA shooting competition, hunting (but haven't gotten out for a few years), reloading ammo, amateur gunsmithing and building, building computers, smoking meats, trying to get decent at outdoor photography.

Being a gear and tinkering nerd the tools, customizing, and gear for all of the above are a big part of the experience. It's good to have a lot of storage and work space, and a patient wife.

That's really cool. A few weeks ago I saw folks starting to gather for a kite festival on the Washington D.C. Mall. The variety and flying skills were amazing to watch.

I think patient wives are key for all of us haha!

I enjoy
1. Shooting Sports and reloading.
2. Used to drag motorcycles.
3. Hunting.
4. Jeeps. (Safer than dragging bikes) must say... not quite the adrenaline rush!

Listening to music, playing creating music/noise.

Growing unusual tomatoes.

Like making stuff , whatever new interest comes along i have to make stuff, have sewn up a few kites, my best was a Tri-D box, made guitar pedals, tube guitar and stereo amps, a guitar. Like working with wood, electronics.

Always reading, hunting through cookbooks and cooking magazines, like cooking for others, searching through grocery stores and farmers markets for new ingredients to mess with.

Take lots of pictures, dad had a darkroom when i was a kid living there, now mess with ipod photography.

Always lots on the go, hardly any time for chores like snow shovelling, lawn cutting, laundry, dishes, shaving and the like.
Various junk...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

hobby_B&Bsize600.jpg

IMG_E1107_B&Bsize600.JPG

file6-18.jpg

dave

I have too many hobbies.

Pocket knives.
Firearms.
Farm toys.
Antique tractors.
RC airplanes.
Pipes.
Cigars.

Listening to music, playing creating music/noise.

Growing unusual tomatoes.

Like making stuff , whatever new interest comes along i have to make stuff, have sewn up a few kites, my best was a Tri-D box, made guitar pedals, tube guitar and stereo amps, a guitar. Like working with wood, electronics.

Always reading, hunting through cookbooks and cooking magazines, like cooking for others, searching through grocery stores and farmers markets for new ingredients to mess with.

Take lots of pictures, dad had a darkroom when i was a kid living there, now mess with ipod photography.

Always lots on the go, hardly any time for chores like snow shovelling, lawn cutting, laundry, dishes, shaving and the like.
Various junk...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

View attachment 973896
View attachment 973899
View attachment 973898
dave

Nice pedals! The tomatoes look delicious as well. Any favorite uses for them?

most niche hobby is Golden Age of Illustration books.

especially Arthur Rackham, but I have some Nielsen stuff as well.

I have VERY specific taste wrt camera lenses. Specifically F2 Olympus and Leica R macros.

Top Bottom