What's new

New Deluxe

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I recently acquired a 1930 New Deluxe (sans case with a serial number), and took it for a spin this morning. It was quite aggressive, with lots of blade feel. But, it also gave me a really, really close shave. It’s 10 hours post-shave and I am still smooth! It reminds me of the Muhle R41, except that it is heavier and classier.

What I find really interesting is that it looks really similar in design to the Hybrid Tech, and the Hybrid Tech is probably the smoothest and least aggressive shaver I’ve used. I realize that the blade exposure determines ‘aggression’, but it is still interesting that two really similar-looking razors can be at opposite ends of the aggression scale.

I had previously shaved with a New Improved — but sold it. This Deluxe is probably not going anywhere anytime soon. It’s well-balanced, a pleasure to use and to hold and is a sturdy addition to my den.

Attachments

• 41A46780-9B04-402F-A13A-936EFBF461CB.jpeg
    41A46780-9B04-402F-A13A-936EFBF461CB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • FEDB279A-F261-4978-A0A2-7C4DBA01F892.jpeg
    FEDB279A-F261-4978-A0A2-7C4DBA01F892.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
NEW Deluxe is a huge upgrade over NI.
Back in the day when Gillette really were improving the quality and functionality of those tools.
Happy shaving!

I recently acquired a New Deluxe (sans case), and took it for a spin this morning. It was quite aggressive, with lots of blade feel. But, it also gave me a really, really close shave. It’s 10 hours post-shave and I am still smooth! It reminds me of the Muhle R41, except that it is heavier and classier.

What I find really interesting is that it looks really similar in design to the Hybrid Tech, and the Hybrid Tech is probably the smoothest and least aggressive shaver I’ve used. I realize that the blade exposure determines ‘aggression’, but it is still interesting that two really similar-looking razors can be at opposite ends of the aggression scale.

I had previously shaved with a New Improved — but sold it. This Deluxe is probably not going anywhere anytime soon. It’s well-balanced, a pleasure to use and to hold and is a sturdy addition to my den.
Well you're right, ND, LC, and your Tech all share the same basic geometry, but the photo certainly appears to show the Tech to have larger guardspan and therefore less exposure.

In terms of geometry, the change from NI to ND was done primarily to reduce stress on the blade which had caused breakage problems with the New Improved. I prefer the shave from the earlier razor myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

Well you're right, ND, LC, and your Tech all share the same basic geometry, but the photo certainly appears to show the Tech to have larger guardspan and therefore less exposure.

Keen observation!

R

romsitsa

They are the same, except the edge of the comb, Rfbs are rounded, De luxes are more square, like a NI.
A safety bar is always smoother than a comb. Imho the most effective and smoothest razor I’ve ever owned is the thin cap Swing, if it would have a comb it would be way more aggressive.

Adam

Hannah's Dad

They are the same, exept the edge of the comb, Rfbs are rounded, De luxes are more square, like a NI.
A safety bar is always smoother than a comb. Imho the most effective razor I’ve ever owned is the thin cap Swing, if it would have a comb, it would be the most aggressive razor, with a bar, it’s the smoothest one.

Adam
Good input, Adam.

They are the same, except the edge of the comb, Rfbs are rounded, De luxes are more square, like a NI.
A safety bar is always smoother than a comb. Imho the most effective and smoothest razor I’ve ever owned is the thin cap Swing, if it would have a comb it would be way more aggressive.

Adam
Hmm . Don't have a Hybrid Tech but i measure a full 5mm difference in the width of the Flat Bottom Tech guard vs my New Deluxe, ie 2.5mm each side, which sure looks consistent with the apparent difference in guardspan in the OP photo.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Dan is it the 15mm or the 17mm ?
And there is one that has a bigger hole in the center too.
Deluxe.jpg6.jpg
DeLuxe5.jpg

Just jumping in to say that the ND is my favorite Gillette for the reasons you stated in the OP. I have used a hybrid Tech and enjoyed the shave but I've gotten much better results from the ND.

I picked up my #77/88 RFB this week for the first time in a long time. Very smooth shaves, but a little milder than I remember. I'll be using my ND Norfolk Tuckaway razor next week and am looking forward to the comparison.

Question for those in the know: I had always thought that there was a difference between the 15 mm and the 17 mm base plates, but recent conversations suggest that the real difference is not in the base plates but in the caps that accompanied them. Which is it - the cap or the plate?

Thanks.

Just jumping in to say that the ND is my favorite Gillette for the reasons you stated in the OP. I have used a hybrid Tech and enjoyed the shave but I've gotten much better results from the ND.

I picked up my #77/88 RFB this week for the first time in a long time. Very smooth shaves, but a little milder than I remember. I'll be using my ND Norfolk Tuckaway razor next week and am looking forward to the comparison.

Question for those in the know: I had always thought that there was a difference between the 15 mm and the 17 mm base plates, but recent conversations suggest that the real difference is not in the base plates but in the caps that accompanied them. Which is it - the cap or the plate?

Thanks.
What is reported is that the difference in the plate has no effect on blade geometry, a difference in the caps would.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice razor, thanks for sharing. Plus with all the input from other members I am learning some valuable information.

Put the hybrid Tech cap on the Deluxe baseplate, it should make it milder yet still efficient.

Top Bottom