What's new

The Wolfman Mystique

At the risk of sounding like a philistine, can someone please explain to me what makes these razors so desirable? I am not asking this with any snarkiness at all, I am just trying to get information to make a buying decision (yes, I know about the waiting list, etc.). For me, a razor is a tool so I approach this with that in mind. Please understand that I am cognizant of the value of great design, engineering and manufacturing and realize such things come with a premium attached. Beauty and elegance come with a price. My question is what makes the shave better than a Timeless or a RazoRock? I own two of each of those and appreciate their quality. I was able to try both out before I purchased them and they are worth every penny, IMO. I do not have access to a Wolfman to test drive. I've read the threads here and on other sites but most of the posts merge the utilitarian and aesthetic characteristics of the razor. I would like to hear your thoughts on the utilitarian aspects of the razor exclusively. Thanks for whatever you can teach me. Best, Sam

PS Happy Easter and Passover to those who celebrate one or both.

There is no waiting list. Razors are sold via random drops. Razors are then custom built to your specifications.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mar
I have owned both Timeless and Wolfman razors and just sold my Timeless. There is no comparison with build quality. I had to return one Timeless handle due to flaws, received a replacement that I also could have returned but kept because I wanted to use the razor.

As for shave quality, they could be comparable, but I preferred the build and handle of my Wolfman (WR2 w/WHR2 handle) to the Timeless. I just like shaving with the WR2 more. Not even close.

I will add that I once owned a Wolfman WR1 with WHR7 handle that I didn’t love, so I sold it.

Buy a Wolfman used and you will find out for yourself. They are available should you want one. Otherwise, enjoy your Timeless and RazoRocks.

Last edited:
I have a WR-1 0.7 gap OC - it is a very fine shaver. I usually run it on a steel Tech handle which I find pairs better than some of the heavier handles like the UFO Kaiser. In terms of blade feel and overall performance the WR is a great razor. The finish is legendary. I would not rate as the best shave of any razor I own - there are several that are smoother (Timeless Ti 0.95 OC, Paradigm 17-4, many of the vintage Gillettes), several that are more aggressive and some that look more impressive on the razor stand. However, I plan to keep the WR - it really is a great razor. It is also likely to hold its value so buying one is relatively risk free.

There is no waiting list. Razors are sold via random drops. Razors are then custom built to your specifications.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had heard reports to the contrary.

You should know that the random drops last about three minutes and occur about once every three weeks or so, maybe. There can be two in a week and none for two months so no guarantee. So not exactly easy to hit one of the drops. The times and days vary so no predicting them with any kind of certainty. Even if you do everything right and manage to get one in your cart during the drop if you don't through the payment process quick enough you can still lose it. Not an easy item to get by any means.

As far as the draw goes they are of the highest quality in machining and polishing. Basically absolute perfection in that area. The WR2 is the very best razor I've encountered to date in terms of shave quality so performance is there as well. The difficulty to attain them likely contributes to the draw as well since they sell at close to double their retail price on the secondary market.

You are welcome. Dfoulk explained the ordering process well and he is correct about the WR2, it's also the best shaver I own/have used.

The WR1 is no slouch either. It, in the right gap, is arguably better than any modern razor I've owned itself.

There are some very good razors on the market that are much easier to obtain. Some come close to matching performance, none come close to fit/finish.

If a Wolfman meets your needs aesthetically, you get over the sticker shock, you pick the correct gap for your face and you are willing to put in the time required to order...you won't find a better shaver in either head. It's not easy or everyone would have one.

If you want help trying to narrow down heads/gaps, PM me and I'll be glad to help if you like more efficient razors. If you like mild razors, I can't help. [emoji41]

It’s the ultra luxury hypercar of razors. Mirror finish on the polished is flawless and on another level unlike anything else (Raw shaving might be close). The shave with the higher blade gaps is sublime. Most would see sticker price as overpriced(resale price is usually always more so) but once it’s in your hands -it’s money well spent because it’s a piece of art that is as close to razor perfection there is. I have a few, but I am desperately in want of the new WR2 1.25 gap.

I have found the WR1 more to my liking than the WR2. The one advantage of a Wolfman is once you can order one James will make it to order so one side can have a different gap than the other and one can be open comb while the other is a solid bar so you can create your perfect razor. I agree with @loot that you should talk to a current owner to dial in what gap you would like, as I have found some members who didn’t like their Wolfman may not have used the right gap. The shave is as good as any other razor I own, but the finish has to be seen to appreciate. Are there other razors that shave as well? Definitely but once you have one, most people want another one. It could be a very expensive rabbit hole, but thankfully, not readily available.

I have 3. A 0.81, a 0.86, and a 0.91. The 0.80 is not aggressive enough. I use the 0.86 and the 0.91 regularly. For me they are not the most aggressive but provide smooth shaves. I certainly wouldn't pay ebay prices for any of them.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the utilitarian aspects of the razor exclusively.

If you're looking purely for utilitarian reasons, then I think it will be hard to win you over.
IMO, what draws you in, first and foremost, are their looks....the specs and reports about how well they perform then provide 'permission' to buy.

The guy who makes them is not only the designer but also the machine operator and that confers certain
benefits....both design and function are in perfect sync. The geometry of the heads is quite unique, in particular how they clamp the blade very firmly. With something so expensive and hard to replace, it is vital to get the
correct head measurements for your hair growth, skin type and shaving frequency.

The one thing about this brand to remember is:

EASY TO SELL, HARD TO BUY.

Where do I go to view "random drops" . Website ? twitter ? Other ? I want to buy a Wolfman, so tell me what to do.

Is the Wolfman Guerilla any good? It seems to trade for a much lower price?
Yes, it delivers a great shave (on the milder side even with the gap, it's probably between 0.54 and 0.61 in WR1 feel). Not finished the same as the WR series, but still on par with most other modern razors. Got a WR2 on the way atm, so looking forward to comparing that one.

Top Bottom