What's new

Face lather vs bowl lather

I work nights, with kids so I have plenty of time to shave so I use a bowl or scuttle to build lather then finish on my face.

Dtwitch hit the nail on the head. Bowl/scuttle lathering is nicer, more enjoyable experience, but can take more time. I am usually in a hurry most mornings and it is just faster to face lather. When I can take my sweet time, I prefer a hot scuttle with warm lather.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Face lather only, now.

When I started DE shaving years ago I tried bowl lathering but I moved away from it eventually. Face lathering is just so much more efficient for me. Exfoliation, whisker prep & perfect lather building with less time, clutter and cleanup. I dip the tips of my brush in hot water from my sink to achieve warm lather.

Facelather is quicker and you use your own skin, constantly, to assess the slickness and consistency of the lather. Plus, you get a free face massage.

Oh and no hand ache. Plus, one less item to wash at the end.

i have a scuttle, bowls, mugs .....
but prefer face lather 90% of time
i feel that bowl/scuttle often will incorporate to much air
and the type of lather i prefer for my face and style of shaving is best served by face lathering
i have a few mug soaps but will only load then face lather
i will occasionally use bowl for tube based poraso
and very occasionally use scuttle because warm lather!

I believe Face lather would be perfect for fast shaving although bowl lather is something I prefer, it kind less messy for me!

I appreciate and enjoy the process of building lather in a bowl. I then work that lather into my beard as much as someone who face lathers. Bowl lathering is an extra step that I find pleasurable. I don't think my shaves are any better bowl lathering, I just enjoy the process.

One of my biggest joys in wet shaving is smelling the scents of my soaps as I face lather. Why would I want to bowl lather and miss out on all those great scents? That's a total "no" for me.

One of my biggest joys in wet shaving is smelling the scents of my soaps as I face lather. Why would I want to bowl lather and miss out on all those great scents? That's a total "no" for me.
Au contraire... I enjoy the scent twice, once from the bowl, once on my face.
As the rooster said to the nun, "You're missing half the fun!" :)

I do both. Doesn't matter if it's a cream or a soap. Many people with sensitive skin prefer to bowl lather because obviously it's easier on your face but for me it's just a mood thing. I love to shave, anything that stretches it out is a good thing and bowl lathering does that. Plus it's just fun. But I started out just face lathering when I shaved, its easier to get right, and I would just practice bowl lathering at night while watching TV. It took a while to get just right.

Honestly, I've only ever bowl lathered. Not sure if one has an outright benefit over the other. From my perspective I can more finely control the amount of water and product used when I bowl lather which yields a very consistent shave experience.

Face over bowl any day. Why not build the lather on your face where you can feel that beautiful brush? I miss it when I bowl lather so I have stopped using a bowl altogether. You can make it faster if you need, or take your time and enjoy the brush feel. It can be messier or cleaner depending on the choice of suds. Use a wetter brush for straight shaves.

I do use the Marco method on occasion, when time permits and the soap lends itself to it, but always build lather on the face.

Regards

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Face over bowl any day. Why not build the lather on your face where you can feel that beautiful brush? I miss it when I bowl lather so I have stopped using a bowl altogether. You can make it faster if you need, or take your time and enjoy the brush feel. It can be messier or cleaner depending on the choice of suds. Use a wetter brush for straight shaves.

I do use the Marco method on occasion, when time permits and the soap lends itself to it, but always build lather on the face.

Regards

I tried the Marco method with face lathering. I had wet lather flying all over resulting in lather on every surface of my bathroom, including the ceiling :laugh:

I tried the Marco method with face lathering. I had wet lather flying all over resulting in lather on every surface of my bathroom, including the ceiling :laugh:
Ha. Yes, it’s a little messy. I can’t use an almond scented soap without it though! I think it makes lather for 10 shaves.

To return to this old thread, I do neither. I palm-lather. Best of both worlds. I don't like face-lathering as I can only build lather with my dominant right hand in an area on my neck beneath the jawline. With palm-lathering, there can be a release of the lather when building, like in bowl-lathering. Consequently, a knot that doesn't "hog" lather is preferable. Similarly, as the palm is less sensitive than my face and neck, I can use a cheaper, more prickly brush no problem, then painting on the lather to my face.

Top Bottom