What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

I can't remember what you matched up in the previous showdown, but BB v Timeless 95 seems a natural given how consumers (like me) often are choosing between those two.

+1 for this matchup. Going through this same dilemma right now in deciding what my next razor I try may be.

I can't remember what you matched up in the previous showdown, but BB v Timeless 95 seems a natural given how consumers (like me) often are choosing between those two.

Excellent suggestion!
A perfect match up and a very good point as far as a lot of members have asked which one to go for. So that’s what I’ll use for tonight’s Shave Off since the GC is out of this competition unless someone sends one my way.

Also this will be a good Shave Off for me personally as I’ve never done a side by side with these 2 razors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

+1 for this matchup. Going through this same dilemma right now in deciding what my next razor I try may be.

Ok well it’s happening and thanks for your input and welcome to the thread!

UPDATE: Shave Off complete

Blackland SS Blackbird SB vs Timeless SS .95 DC using only SB side.

I'll post the results tonight after work.

Any guesses who which one will win this Shave Off?

Remember smoothness is the key topic not efficiency.

My guess would be the Timeless would feel smoother and the BB would shave closer but my first shave with a Timeless OC will be tomorrow so conjecture.

I just feel like the BB has a very distinct feel when you shave that's kind of akin to writing with a very fine Japanese nib; not scratchy but with a certain distinct feedback that can be kind of addictive.

I’m thinking the timeless wins smoothness, but also interested in overall shave between the two. Hard to say as I’ve read quite a few hood things about both razors.

Both are great razors with totally different feel for me. More blade feel with the BB but still very smooth. Timeless on smoothness BB slight edge on efficiency

The Blackbird tugged like crazy going ATG on my head. The SS 95 was smooth, albeit not as smooth or effectve as either Bronze plate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I agree with the Timeless. One of the smoothest razors I own. The BB I find is smooth and efficient but not as smooth as the Timeless with how it clamps the blade.

Can't wait for the shave off write up!

Shave Off report.

Timeless SS .95 DC vs Blackbird SS SB

Hello Gentlemen!
I worked late tonight so sorry for the late report but better late than never right! Ok so this was an excellent Shave Off and for me it was also a test as I've contemplated adding a Blackbird to my den. I love the look of the Jet but I see it's no longer available and I guess Shane just launched the polished brass. The one I used today was so generously sent to my by member @Sharp_Obsession aka Jared and I'd like to thank him for all is support and contributions to this thread. It's members like him that have allowed this thread to continue as long as it has and I thank him personally.
So let's start out with the differences in these two razors. First off weight is quite a bit different with the Timeless being the heavyweight here at 128 grams with my short barberpole handle on it while the Blackbird weights in a 96 grams. Both razors are high polished but to me the Blackland wins that one as it's just more brighter than the Timeless. Timeless feels like it's built out of piece of steel. I've owned this razor for almost as long as timeless started selling them and I think this was either the first or 2nd Dual Comb they made. Back then it wasn't even listed as an option and you had to ask if they'd make one for you. The Blackbird is sort of new to me. I've shaved with 2 of them and this one makes 3. The first one was a black matte finished Blackbird and at the time I found it to be sort of harsh feeling and maybe Mark @Shavemd can chime in on that razor as I think it was one of the earlier ones or something like that. Anyway the next time I shaved with one was when we did the " Most Efficient Razor " Shave Off and I used both the SB and OC plate. It was a good shaver and I liked the SB side better for some reason but I have to say that of all of them this one I currently have feels the best of all of them and I have no clue why. Not sure if any changes have been made to the BB but it just felt different to me.

Ok so let's get right to it!

Gear used:

Timeless SS .95 DC - Only the SB side was used for this Shave Off
Blackland Blackbird SS SB
Kai blades
Elite high mountain badger brush
Tallow & Steel Sicily shave soap
Thayers Lemon witch hazel
4711 aftershave and Cologne ( Forgot to put them in the photo)

Decided to do my normal 2 pass Shave Off going both WTG and ATG. Of course I'm using my normal SSSST so nothing fancy. I had 3 and a half days growth so both razors had a challenge on their hands. I lathered up the T&S soap and this soap I kind of doctored up a bit as far as scent goes. It's supposed to be a Melange of essential citrus oils which I don't doubt but because of the hops they use it had a scent that just bothered me a bit so I added some Lime, lemon, Sweet orange oil and some bergamont to it and wow did that kick it up a notch or two. it produced a nice lather and it has nice slickness. I didn't look for ghost residual as I wasn't doing any reverse skin stretching passes today. Just the normal passes.

1st Pass WTG - So started out with the Timeless for the N to S pass and this razor is very familiar to me so it's a natural as finding the angle. Mowed down my growth nicely on this first pass even though if i were using it as normal I'd be using the OC side for my first pass but the SB side did a heck of a job so no complaints here. If I were to be super critical of this razor there are two things I'm not crazy about and that is the big head and the weight of the razor and the handle is just a little bit chubby for me as my tastes have changed over the past couple of years. Still a great razor that's efficient and smooth and if I were to buy one today I'd probably go with the Titanium version as I've shaved with it and actually prefer it to the SS one. I finished up the pass by going around my mouth, Chin and under my nose. Maneuverability for me is ok and comparing it to the Titanium version the SS feels a little slow. I finished the pass and I will say it was smooth as ever. On to the BB on my neck and from the first stroke it's got a lot more blade feel which doesn't bother me but it's just a fact. Like I said earlier this BB feels smoother than the other 2 I've shaved with. Being lighter I felt the BB was more manuverable than the Timeless and I found the angle right away so I had the sweet spot in my muscle memory from using the others. So a very nice pass from the BB on my neck. Over to the other side and I start my N to S pass with the BB and on the face it again had more blade feel than the Timeless and the audible feedback was definitely louder than the Timeless. When using this razor I recommend using no pressure and just let the razor do it's thing. At this point I"m liking the BB and the way it feels in hand. Having respect for the razor I slowed down around my mouth and under my nose but all went well in those areas so a very nice pass. Last up for this last WTG pass was the Timeless on my neck and it made short work of my stubble on my easier to shave left side. So this pass is complete and I decided to rinse and do a face feel using my hands. So at this point the Timeless seems to have a slight lead in taking down my stubble.

2nd Pass ATG - So this time I start out at the base of my neck on the right side with the BB and begin my northbound journey. Used my trusty hand towel to give me a nice skin stretch. This pass you could feel the difference in blade feel for sure. Not that it bothered me but I thought it needs to be mentioned in case any of you are looking to get one. So up to my jawline and this pass is in the books and another nice pass! Picked up the Timeless and headed north. Ok so this was the pass where the Timeless showed up not only in smoothness but efficiency as well. Again if this were a Ti version I'd probably be ringing the church bells! LOL.. continued upwards to my starting point. I didn't feel like doing a ATG under my nose so I just did a XTG in that one area and it was a very nice pass! With the Timeless in hand I went over to the other side at the base of my neck and again gave the skin a nice stretch and headed upward and the Timeless was able to take down the remaining stubble very nicely so good pass from the Timeless. Time for the last pass and I picked up the BB and headed upwards where the Timeless left off. I felt the consistency of the blade feel was for me is a good thing as I could hear it clearly through the entire shave. I feel the BB is kind of like driving a Viper. Kind of raw with a little bit of attitude but an all around nice shaver. I finished off the last ATG pass and this Shave Off was what I'd call drama free and with no real surprises.

Post Shave:

Rinsed my face with warm then cold water and splashed a little Thayers Lemon witch hazel on and then let it dry while I clean up the gear. After that I splashed on a little 4711 aftershave then got dressed and put some of the 4711 Cologne on and what a nice shave experience!

Summary:

Ok this Shave Off as far as efficiency goes was very close. A 2 pass entry level BBS from both razors with a few spots that were DFS like on my cowlick and a couple of other trouble spots. So we need to go to the scoring system to get a clear winner

Scoring System:

Blackbird

1. Smoothness = 48 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 17 points
3. Balance = 8 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points
5. Glide = 3 1/2 points

Total score = 81 points

Timeless

1. Smoothness = 50 points
2. Efficiency = 17 1/2 points
3. Balance = 7 1/2 points
4. Maneuverability = 3 points
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 82 points

So the winner of this one was the Timeless .95 DC and it was very close by only 1 point total score. The blackbird should not hand it's head as I feel there was no real loser in this one. Both very good shavers.

Big congrats to the Timeless for the win!

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

847015CB-2E75-4D41-AE85-15429324F691.jpeg

2201B79E-738F-429F-92C2-D77EE0CEB4D5.jpeg

Very nice review my friend, closer than I thought it would be. The first BB you used from me was the original Kickstarter Black Oxide BB the edges of the metal were sharp and to me affected the shave. I now have the Jet version and it is the smoothest BB yet IMHO

Shave Off report.

Hello Gentlemen!
I worked late tonight so sorry for the late report but better late than never right! Ok so this was an excellent Shave Off and for me it was also a test as I've contemplated adding a Blackbird to my den. I love the look of the Jet but I see it's no longer available and I guess Shane just launched the polished brass. The one I used today was so generously sent to my by member @Sharp_Obsession aka Jared and I'd like to thank him for all is support and contributions to this thread. It's members like him that have allowed this thread to continue as long as it has and I thank him personally.
So let's start out with the differences in these two razors. First off weight is quite a bit different with the Timeless being the heavyweight here at 128 grams with my short barberpole handle on it while the Blackbird weights in a 96 grams. Both razors are high polished but to me the Blackland wins that one as it's just more brighter than the Timeless. Timeless feels like it's built out of piece of steel. I've owned this razor for almost as long as timeless started selling them and I think this was either the first or 2nd Dual Comb they made. Back then it wasn't even listed as an option and you had to ask if they'd make one for you. The Blackbird is sort of new to me. I've shaved with 2 of them and this one makes 3. The first one was a black matte finished Blackbird and at the time I found it to be sort of harsh feeling and maybe Mark @Shavemd can chime in on that razor as I think it was one of the earlier ones or something like that. Anyway the next time I shaved with one was when we did the " Most Efficient Razor " Shave Off and I used both the SB and OC plate. It was a good shaver and I liked the SB side better for some reason but I have to say that of all of them this one I currently have feels the best of all of them and I have no clue why. Not sure if any changes have been made to the BB but it just felt different to me.

Gear used:

Kai blades

Decided to do my normal 2 pass Shave Off going both WTG and ATG. Of course I'm using my normal SSSST so nothing fancy. I had 3 and a half days growth so both razors had a challenge on their hands. I lathered up the T&S soap and this soap I kind of doctored up a bit as far as scent goes. It's supposed to be a Melange of essential citrus oils which I don't doubt but because of the hops they use it had a scent that just bothered me a bit so I added some Lime, lemon, Sweet orange oil and some bergamont to it and wow did that kick it up a notch or two. it produced a nice lather and it has nice slickness. I didn't look for ghost residual as I wasn't doing any reverse skin stretching passes today. Just the normal passes.

1st Pass WTG - So started out with the Timeless for the N to S pass and this razor is very familiar to me so it's a natural as finding the angle. Mowed down my growth nicely on this first pass even though if i were using it as normal I'd be using the OC side for my first pass but the SB side did a heck of a job so no complaints here. If I were to be super critical of this razor there are two things I'm not crazy about and that is the big head and the weight of the razor and the handle is just a little bit chubby for me as my tastes have changed over the past couple of years. Still a great razor that's efficient and smooth and if I were to buy one today I'd probably go with the Titanium version as I've shaved with it and actually prefer it to the SS one. I finished up the pass by going around my mouth, Chin and under my nose. Maneuverability for me is ok and comparing it to the Titanium version the SS feels a little slow. I finished the pass and I will say it was smooth as ever. On to the BB on my neck and from the first stroke it's got a lot more blade feel which doesn't bother me but it's just a fact. Like I said earlier this BB feels smoother than the other 2 I've shaved with. Being lighter I felt the BB was more manuverable than the Timeless and I found the angle right away so I had the sweet spot in my muscle memory from using the others. So a very nice pass from the BB on my neck. Over to the other side and I start my N to S pass with the BB and on the face it again had more blade feel than the Timeless and the audible feedback was definitely louder than the Timeless. When using this razor I recommend using no pressure and just let the razor do it's thing. At this point I"m liking the BB and the way it feels in hand. Having respect for the razor I slowed down around my mouth and under my nose but all went well in those areas so a very nice pass. Last up for this last WTG pass was the Timeless on my neck and it made short work of my stubble on my easier to shave left side. So this pass is complete and I decided to rinse and do a face feel using my hands. So at this point the Timeless seems to have a slight lead in taking down my stubble.

2nd Pass ATG - So this time I start out at the base of my neck on the right side with the BB and begin my northbound journey. Used my trusty hand towel to give me a nice skin stretch. This pass you could feel the difference in blade feel for sure. Not that it bothered me but I thought it needs to be mentioned in case any of you are looking to get one. So up to my jawline and this pass is in the books and another nice pass! Picked up the Timeless and headed north. Ok so this was the pass where the Timeless showed up not only in smoothness but efficiency as well. Again if this were a Ti version I'd probably be ringing the church bells! LOL.. continued upwards to my starting point. I didn't feel like doing a ATG under my nose so I just did a XTG in that one area and it was a very nice pass! With the Timeless in hand I went over to the other side at the base of my neck and again gave the skin a nice stretch and headed upward and the Timeless was able to take down the remaining stubble very nicely so good pass from the Timeless. Time for the last pass and I picked up the BB and headed upwards where the Timeless left off. I felt the consistency of the blade feel was for me is a good thing as I could hear it clearly through the entire shave. I feel the BB is kind of like driving a Viper. Kind of raw with a little bit of attitude but an all around nice shaver. I finished off the last ATG pass and this Shave Off was what I'd call drama free and with no real surprises.

Post Shave:

Rinsed my face with warm then cold water and splashed a little Thayers Lemon witch hazel on and then let it dry while I clean up the gear. After that I splashed on a little 4711 aftershave then got dressed and put some of the 4711 Cologne on and what a nice shave experience!

Summary:

Ok this Shave Off as far as efficiency goes was very close. A 2 pass entry level BBS from both razors with a few spots that were DFS like on my cowlick and a couple of other trouble spots. So we need to go to the scoring system to get a clear winner

Scoring System:

Blackbird

3. Balance = 8 points
5. Glide = 3 1/2 points

Total score = 81 points

Timeless

5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 82 points

So the winner of this one was the Timeless .95 DC and it was very close by only 1 point total score. The blackbird should not hand it's head as I feel there was no real loser in this one. Both very good shavers.

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 973624

View attachment 973623
Timeless OC 95 with a Kai blade is among the best, in both the smooth and the close categories.

There are very few that can beat it.

Very nice review my friend, closer than I thought it would be. The first BB you used from me was the original Kickstarter Black Oxide BB the edges of the metal were sharp and to me affected the shave. I now have the Jet version and it is the smoothest BB yet IMHO

Thanks buddy and I couldn’t exactly remember the name of that BB. That Jet you have is stunning! This was a close one as far as the whole shave but the Timeless was a bit smoother in the end.

Good Shaveoff, Frank. Nice write up and the photography is good also. Hard to go wrong with either of these razors.

Thanks Ray and your right can’t go wrong with either razor and it’s a pretty easy choice. If a person likes more blade feel then go with Blackbird. If not go with the Timeless.

Timeless OC 95 with a Kai blade is among the best, in both the smooth and the close categories.

There are very few that can beat it.

I’ve often said Kai and Timeless are a match made in heaven. The BB took to the Kai well also but not sure if another blade like a Feather or Polsilver would be better or worse as I have not experimented with the BB like I have with the Timeless.

Although I’ve never used either razor, after following this thread, I’d thought the Timeless would significantly outscore the BB but it was very close. Perhaps this exemplifies the parities of the moderns as all those artisans are making exceptionally smooth and efficient razors. If Gillette’s vintage razors represent the golden age and monopoly of DE shaving maybe we are in the guilded are on wet shaving.

Shave Off report.

Hello Gentlemen!

Gear used:

Kai blades

Post Shave:

Summary:

Scoring System:

Blackbird

3. Balance = 8 points
5. Glide = 3 1/2 points

Total score = 81 points

Timeless

5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 82 points

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 973624

View attachment 973623

Fantastic review with great detail. Thanks for walking us through the shave! :)

Shave Off report.

Hello Gentlemen!

Gear used:

Kai blades

Post Shave:

Summary:

Scoring System:

Blackbird

3. Balance = 8 points
5. Glide = 3 1/2 points

Total score = 81 points

Timeless

5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 82 points

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

View attachment 973624

View attachment 973623

Another great shave off Frank. That is the one I thought would win but I did not think it would be that close. Talk to you soon.
Happy shaves
Jason

Top Bottom