What's new

Derby Premium..... shockingly good......Review???

I got a chance to try out some Derby Premium blades finally I know they have been out for a while now so I have been meaning to give them a shot.

I had extremely low expectations because the last time I had Derby blades was three years ago when I started this whole journey into shaving. Arguably the worst blades I have ever used and one of the few blades where I couldn't get through a shave.
I made sure I prepped the best I could just in case things got "hairy" again low expectations. I shaved after a nice hot shower and whipped up some Prorasso in my vintage old spice mug like always and loaded a fresh blade in my Merkur 37C Slant and got to work.

I was shocked..... I have never had a blade cut that nice and it was a surprisingly easy shave. Since the shave was going so well I decided to take some "liberties" that I wouldn't usually take for example a 3rd pass by the jawline which tends to be an area of trouble for me. Most of the time I can't do it because I tend to get irritation. Not the case with these blades now I did feel a little raw but it was quite mild compared to most blades.

Derby Premium blades are actually pretty good. I can't wait for round 2.

My face really likes Derby Premiums, and they're a part of my regular rotation. I usually get the best shave from one of these blades on shave#2 (shave#1 is very good, but shave#2 is slightly better).

My experience with the Derby Premium blades was very different and far, far away from yours and gave me a bad shave with a lot of post-shave skin irritation.
I get a lot better shave with the blades manufactured by Lord (Lord Super Stainless) and especially with the Racer (Racer Super Class Platinum)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never tried any Derby blades before. Thanks for your thoughts on these blades.

These are on my radar. I like the Derby Extras in my 37c slant. I get 3 great shaves on my face and head with one and then it's done. I can't beat the price of them either.

Derby Extras are among the group of blades that are simply not sharp enough to shave my beard. I have not tried the Premiums.

Is there another blade you have used that is similar to the Derby Premiums in both sharpness and smoothness?

Derby used to have a lot of love here, don't know if they really changed that much, or if the community changed. Still pull out the Extras once in a while, no problems. Will have to try the Premiums.
Yes. Derby Extra and Feather were the two safe choices back in early 2010. That is how I remember it. "Just get the EJ and 100 pack with DERBY Extra and say good bye to the Mach 3."

Yes indeed, these Derby Premiums are not to be confused with Extras! These are a sharp smooth blade for me, while the Extras are much to mild for my skin.

I had the same experience, but my expectation wasn't based on experience with the Extras (I have some to try out) but simply based on the feedback here . . . I should have known better because it's my face and not everyone else's.

Long story short, I really like the Premiums, enough that I ordered 100.

Yes. Derby Extra and Feather were the two safe choices back in early 2010. That is how I remember it. "Just get the EJ and 100 pack with DERBY Extra and say good bye to the Mach 3."

Yes, back then Derby extra was a good blade. I think something bad happened with their manufacturing process since than as the Derby extra is no longer sharp or smooth. The premiums are sharper and smoother than the extra ever was and more so now.

Derby Premiums are excellent blades for me. I like them much better than the Personna Platinum, Vokshod, and German Wilkinson Swords.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ha, my first 100 pack were of Derby Extras, after joining B&B in 2009 and getting The Word. It took me almost 10 years to PIF them away, like the poster above they wouldn't cut my beard, old, gray, post chemo as it was. Feathers took over, though I still find Sharks, Iridiums, and Personna Labs to work in the modern era. I've picked up some 74's and Swedes, that I hope to hoard exactly until they carry me on down the road ..

But, the Derby Premiums, at least the first batch tried, have been excellent, sharp and as smooth as I need anyhow

The only razor I own in which Derby Premiums work well is a black handled flare tip. Every, and I mean every, other razor I own just does not get along well with them. From Russian Ideal to Fat Boy and everything in between they are tuggy and rough. But...I broke down and plopped on in the flare tip before I tossed the tuck and was pleasantly surprised. 1st shave was a bit rough, but that is to be expected. Today was shave two and much smoother and gave a very acceptable shave. Not on par with GPP or GSB but maybe one step below a German Wilki. Still, I am not adverse to using one again. Just another example of YMMV.

I use Derby Premiums and i agree they are nothing like the Extra. They are considerably sharper, but not the smoothest for me. Meaning, i have to pay attention to what i am doing, otherwise i might get a nick. Lovely packaging though. The Extra are much duller and virtually impossible to cause nicks, however, when i was shaving every 2-3 days, they were tugging and pulling. With daily shave and fast strokes, i can use the Extra too, without major problem and i like the fact that i don't need to be too cautious with them. Derby Extra+longer stubble and or slow strokes= irritation.

Derbies (of any kind) aren't favourites, but can't complain about them either.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like the Derby Premium, and have added 25 to the blade box. Blades last me a fair while, so I don't buy in 100s anymore.

I find they can start a little prickly, though that is short lived, and they settle down nicely. I think I got 16 shaves from one, and that's what prompted be to add 25 to the stash. However, I can get 10 decent shaves from the Extras too, which is 10 more than I get from Polsilver. I think I have 20 or 30 Extras in the stash too.

I have grown to be very fond of these blades. They can be a little variable but on the whole they are good sharp blades. They work well in both my Rockwell 6c on R6 and my Fatip Piccolo Special Edition using the Original plate. I have more than 200 of these to keep me cheerful.

Top Bottom