What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 so good yet never used.

This

I personally have the Edwin Jagger DE89 “Barley” which isn’t slippery at all. It has a nice grip like the picture you see here
That looks much better for grip. I don't recall seeing that one when I went to buy mine though. I only remember the lined chrome one, the ebony, and the faux ivory (mine is the ivory). Is that a newer option?

I'm glad they have a model with good knurling, though it doesn't really change my original opinion, which is that one shouldn't make blanket statements saying that users shouldn't drop the EJ and it's all their fault if they do. It's good that they have a model with good grip, but it's also true they have many models with no grip. As a newbie who had never used anything but rubber coated carts when I started, I didn't realize what a difference that knurling makes. I probably wouldn't buy a non-knurled handle design like that again. Live and learn.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wanting to weigh in. I after with @Nicholas I own the 6c and 6s. The ej doesn't hold a candle to either one. Build quality, feel, weight, and the shave. Nothing against ej. And of course YMMV I also don't agree that the rockwell is just marketing. I read reviews about it on bb. And unless that's marketing I haven't seen any.

I have shaved with many razors over the years such as Gillette fat boy, Gillette red tip, Merkur 34C, Charcoal, Rockwell 6S, and EJ DE89. I am not one to have many razors on hand. I use the same one daily and often for year(s). Having said that, my daily shaver for the last couple years has been a DE89. I upgraded the handle to a Weber Bulldog which has excellent grip and weight. Personally, I prefer a mild razor. If I try another razor it will probably be the Timeless .68 solid. However, I receive excellent, smooth, close shaves with the DE89 equipped with mainly made in England Wilkinson blades. Mullard

The EJ DE89 (with the 3D laser handle) was my first traditional razor.
Since then, I've gotten quite a few different kinds of razor, and these days I use mostly shavettes.
But I felt compelled to give my DE89 an outing lately, simply because it had been too long.
It was such a good shave that I came back to it again today. And I still love the laser diamond knurling.

my desert island razor is my DE 89, ( I would try to sneak in my Timeless .95 SB SS and Titanium also if I could )
But Edwin Jagger is teasing a stainless 3one6 which I am hoping is a DE89 in stainless steel? For me might be Game Changer?

The EJ DE89 (with the 3D laser handle) was my first traditional razor.
Since then, I've gotten quite a few different kinds of razor, and these days I use mostly shavettes.
But I felt compelled to give my DE89 an outing lately, simply because it had been too long.
It was such a good shave that I came back to it again today. And I still love the laser diamond knurling.

I too have the EJ de89 with the 3D laser handle and will give a ride this week. It provided great shaves, but my RAD kicked in and it hasn't seen the light of day in months. Time to change that and I do love the handle.

As I read through this thread I thought they were talking about a different razor. The EJ is a classic that deserves it's position.
I have purchased DE89 with 3D laser handle
Not slippery at all.
proxy.php

Last edited:
DE89 was the first razor I used, and it was great...but I sold it. I can get an even better shave without irritation in half the time with my Rockwell 6S or Karve.

Top Bottom