What's new

Critique my soap list

So Ive drawn up a list of soaps that interest me. For this purchase Ive excluded SV soaps just to see if Im missing out on any good USA based artisans. Welcome any comments
that will help me drop a few names from the list below, and settle on around 6-7.
I generally prefer bright, airy, cooling, citrusy scents...not heavy, complex ones. Please don't suggest any other brands as it took me lot of research to zero in on these.

B&M
Le Grand Chypre
Cologne Russe
Cheshire
Seville
Cool Reserve

Whole Kaw
Fern Concerto Menthol (donkey milk/tallow)
Fougere Parfaite (Vegan base)

Ariana & Evans
L'Orange Vert

Menthol
Margaritas in the Attic
Snakebite
Cryogen

I have NOTHING TO CRITICIZE here!! (Save your pennies!!) :a29::a29:

would have loved to try A&E Platinum.. a modern day barbershop scent that sounds right up my alley...
but WCS doesn't list it. Notes sound amazing....homage to chanel Platinum.

would have loved to try A&E Platinum.. a modern day barbershop scent that sounds right up my alley...
but WCS doesn't list it. Notes sound amazing....homage to chanel Platinum.

Check Maggards. Currently show 12 in stock. It had been sold out. I use it and love it. Highly recommend. Good luck!

B&M
Cheshire
Cool Reserve

Whole Kaw

Ariana & Evans
L'Orange Vert

Menthol
Snakebite

Thanks for all the back and forth gents....this time I committed myself to shopping at WCS
due to all the new customer discounts and their April fools Promo. So the above is what
I managed to order. Im sure this will last me a good 2-3 years, at least.

Are we talking samples or full pucks? I'm a sample guy because I can cast a wider net in trying new soaps and I'm somewhat picky. Also I don't like selling stuff so I don't want a bunch of pucks laying around unused. That's just me though.

Good luck with your search! Lots of great soaps out there from many different makers.

Are we talking samples or full pucks? I'm a sample guy because I can cast a wider net in trying new soaps and I'm somewhat picky. Also I don't like selling stuff so I don't want a bunch of pucks laying around unused. That's just me though.

Good luck with your search! Lots of great soaps out there from many different makers.
That's a good point. I'm a sample guy as well and might be the way to go.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

B&M
Cheshire
Cool Reserve

Whole Kaw

Ariana & Evans
L'Orange Vert

Menthol
Snakebite

Thanks for all the back and forth gents....this time I committed myself to shopping at WCS
due to all the new customer discounts and their April fools Promo. So the above is what
I managed to order. Im sure this will last me a good 2-3 years, at least.

This looks like a terrific list you’ve settled on!

You can't go wrong with B&M. I had one if their Latha series soaps and that was great performer but the soap went bad. I currently have Reserve Spice and I love the Old Spice scent it has and it is a great performing soap. I scoop and some and smear into a lather bowl on my softer soaps now and the Reserve Spice is over a year old and has not gone bad like the Latha one did.

Are we talking samples or full pucks?

Full pucks.....its a calculated risk.....but I do lots of research and know what I want.

My taste in perfume and shaving soap fragrance is very different, almost at odds.
But it helps to know what I want my shave soap to smell like.

I have no doubt that I will like all of these if they are true to the written descriptions.
If they aren't I will just suck it up and use them anyway. Lather to help
my razor move and a nice ps shave feel...that is the real objective for me

I recieved this last eve after work. Gonna do a head and face shave tonight. I'll try to describe the scent. Smells good in the tub and the A&E soap base is in my top 3.

Ariana & Evans
L'Orange Vert

From a performance standpoint you cant go wrong with WK or A&E and would personally cosider these 2 the best from your list.

Scents can be subjective so it comes down to personal taste, but your pics seem to be a safe bet if they sound like they would be in your wheelhouse. Hope you enjoy your new soaps!

Stuff just got here....OMG they ALL smell lovely.
Was a bit concerned as the seal on Cheshire was broken, and the lid
hairline cracked....guess it's not that big a deal. Anyway, this looks like
3-4 years supply....Im just going to be loading all of these liberally.

Would you load/lather these directly from the jar...some of them look a little soft,
like A&E. Also, how to lather the Snakebite....its such a small puck I dont think I have a bowl for it
RIMG0864.JPG
RIMG0865.JPG

Would you load/lather these directly from the jar...some of them look a little soft, like A&E.

What I do is if they are soft and pliable enough to scrape or scoop some out and smear an almond sized amount, maybe a touch more, in my scuttle or lather bowl and lather that way. The soaps I have that I do that with are B&M, Captain's Choice, RazoRock etc. That way I don't have to let them air out and dry and/or take the chance they will spoil. I have had 2 soaps do this, Cella and B&M Latha Lavanda. They got a rancid smell.

For that puck of Snakebite you could find a cheap plastic bowl with a lid and lather off the puck in the bowl. Other suggestion, which I just tried on my last shave with PdP no 63, is to use it like a shave stick. I have never used a shave stick but here is what I did. Even though it comes in a tin tub the PdP puck and tin are a little small so this time I decided to stand it on end in a little bit of water so it would soften while I showered. I wet face and smeared the softened part around the face until there was a film of soap and then grabbed my Omega Badger Silvertip and proceeded to face lather. It worked quite well and will do that in the future. Seems to make less of a mess trying to lather in the small tin. I am going to do this with all my tin can soaps because it seems like soap and water get under the soap in the tin and doesn't dry back out very well. When I am done I stand the soap on end on the opposite side of the softened side on a cloth to let air dry.

I was going to say that if you like citrus, Cheshire and Cool was the way to go. Glad you got them.

What do you think of the Fougere Parfait? describe the scent. I have had a problem with most WK soaps. Love the excellent base but I find it hard to pick a sent. I have found Pompelmo (grapefruit) which is fantastic. I am a citrus nut so it is a perfect addition to my insane collection. I smelled Fougere Parfait and Fougere Bouquet at Pasteur's once but went with other soaps at the time. One I just did not like but the other was a bit sweeter and more to my liking. Not sure which since it was some time ago. Now, I am looking to see without getting a tub I just won't use.

What are your thoughts on the A & E L'Orange Vert?

As for loading, I am a bowl latherer. Even on my soft soaps I will do a 5 second on up to the harder triple milled soaps a 60 second load. I do not use a dripping wet brush and prefer it only damp enough to soften the soap for loading. Even on my creams I will just do a swipe across them lightly. In all, I look to coat the 1/4" of the tips of the brush with soap.

Looks like a great haul. Enjoy!!

Frank

I have to say they all smell great....not a single dud in there.

Cool Reserve....I dont get lemon and beramot its smells a bit like some sort of cereal to me but nice.

Fougere Parfait....very nice a very modern take on lavender and citrus, relaxing....some compare to
Brut....quite possibly.

L'orange Verte .... another winner....orange note is very nice

Cheshire....I get a bitter note in this...which could well be patchouli....and of course the early grey is great.

Fern Concerto Menthol smells lovely too....what I like about all is that they. smell like shave creams
should .... not overpowering they linger for a short while and then they're gone...so you can apply your normal fragrance.

Thanks for posting your thoughts about these soaps.

I think you made a purchase that I could very well have placed, if my shave den had a little more room.

Good to hear that there all performing well too.

Top Bottom