2E7F1224-3591-4A57-B4D4-AAA269DED772.jpeg
Shave #1 Friday, 4/5/2019

Razor: Rex Ambassador
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna Di Sicilia
Brush: West Coast Shaving Beacon 24mm
Lather Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Special Edition

I set the razor on 2.5 but quickly decided that was too mild. Bumped the dial up to 3 and that felt much better. Three passes, WTG, XTG, and ATG resulted (with some buffing and touch ups) in a DFS. The shave was very smooth and comfortable with no nicks or weepers. The razor handled very well. It felt well balanced. Handle length was good and the slick soap did not affect gripping the handle in any way. Since I have a mustache, I can’t address any problem someone may have with shaving the upper lip. The head encloses the entire blade. This shave was an excellent start and over the next few days, I will be trying the higher settings.

View attachment 969665 Shave #1 Friday, 4/5/2019

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: West Coast Shaving Beacon 24mm

I set the razor on 2.5 but quickly decided that was too mild. Bumped the dial up to 3 and that felt much better. Three passes, WTG, XTG, and ATG resulted (with some buffing and touch ups) in a DFS. The shave was very smooth and comfortable with no nicks or weepers. The razor handled very well. It felt well balanced. Handle length was good and the slick soap did not affect gripping the handle in any way. Since I have a mustache, I can’t address any problem someone may have with shaving the upper lip. The head encloses the entire blade. This shave was an excellent start and over the next few days, I will be trying the higher settings.
Nice write up. Good luck the rest of the way....

4/05/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (in hand testing)
8. @cyberdog (on deck)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (in the hole)
2. @Cut Throat
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @Magboy Creations
11. @vadim

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people.......:shaving:

Shave #2, Saturday, 4/6/2019

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Red Swirl synthetic

Only the brush has been changed for today’s shave. When evaluating a razor, I like to keep variables to a minimum. So I went to setting 4 today for a more efficient shave. The Rex gave it to me. A close, comfortable shave with no weepers or irritation. A solid BBS with only a minor touch up on a usually tough area on my neck. The sweet spot seems wide to me and I don’t have to hunt around to find it. Just used my normal angle. I haven’t shaved with my Gillette Slim or Fat Boy in a while but I think the Rex beats them both for smoothness and efficiency.

Shave #3, Sunday, 4/7/2019

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Stirling Soap Company 2 band synthetic 24 mm

The Rex was on setting #5 today. Much more blade feel and very audible. The usual 3 passes yielded a BBS with no touch ups needed. There were no nicks or weepers and no irritation. A very comfortable and smooth shave. I like how the razor gives a smooth, incremental adjustment of efficiency between settings. On to setting #6 tomorrow.

Shave #2, Saturday, 4/6/2019

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: Maggard Razors 24mm Red Swirl synthetic

Only the brush has been changed for today’s shave. When evaluating a razor, I like to keep variables to a minimum. So I went to setting 4 today for a more efficient shave. The Rex gave it to me. A close, comfortable shave with no weepers or irritation. A solid BBS with only a minor touch up on a usually tough area on my neck. The sweet spot seems wide to me and I don’t have to hunt around to find it. Just used my normal angle. I haven’t shaved with my Gillette Slim or Fat Boy in a while but I think the Rex beats them both for smoothness and efficiency.

Shave #3, Sunday, 4/7/2019

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Stirling Soap Company 2 band synthetic 24 mm

The Rex was on setting #5 today. Much more blade feel and very audible. The usual 3 passes yielded a BBS with no touch ups needed. There were no nicks or weepers and no irritation. A very comfortable and smooth shave. I like how the razor gives a smooth, incremental adjustment of efficiency between settings. On to setting #6 tomorrow.

Two good write ups my friend. You and the Rex got a liking to each other. Happy shaves....

Shave #4, Monday, 4/8/2019

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm

I used setting #6 today. Much more blade feel than yesterday. I went slowly and carefully. Another BBS shave but not as smooth and comfortable as my previous shaves. Some irritation and a small weeper. I would not use this setting on a daily basis. I knew this but I had to try it anyway. Back to a lower setting tomorrow.

4/10/19

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (in hand testing)
8. @cyberdog (on deck)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (in the hole)
2. @Cut Throat
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @Magboy Creations
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas

I had my last shave with the Rex yesterday at the more comfortable setting of #4. It is now on the way to cyberdog. My thanks to GlazedBoker for another stellar pass around. My initial thoughts were that the razor is very well made, has a good weight and balance and looks good too. It transitions well between settings without stacking and even though it does not have click stops, does not lose the setting. The Rex gave me a very smooth and comfortable shave, except for the highest setting. It has earned my recommendation. I think I will pick one up when it goes on sale.

OK, this thread convinced me, I just ordered one. And if I don't like it, I'll have a long list of people to blame. :001_cool:

4/12/19

Group One:

3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed - shipped)
8. @cyberdog (en route to)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (on deck)
2. @Cut Throat (in the hole)
3. @herbert7890
4. @JWK1
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @Magboy Creations
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick

I just got my O1 serial numbered Ambassador yesterday. I went over the thing with a fine tooth comb. I found no functional issues regarding blade tilt throughout the various settings and the top cap screws into the handle with no issues at all.

The new spring provides proper tension of the adjustment knob as well with no inadvertent movement.

There are some machine marks underneath the top cap, but that does not bother me as this area is not seen. The complexity of the machining is quite impressive. I think the brushed finish is fine and the knurling, as reported by others, is superb.

I got a wonderful shave on my initial run while using setting #4 and then moving down to #2.

The head is quite slim and maneuverable, and I like the fact that there is no blade overhang.

This is my most expensive razor, and I am hoping that it will quell my RAD.

REX 2.jpg REX AMBASSADOR.jpg

I just got my O1 serial numbered Ambassador yesterday. I went over the thing with a fine tooth comb. I found no functional issues regarding blade tilt throughout the various settings and the top cap screws into the handle with no issues at all.

The new spring provides proper tension of the adjustment knob as well with no inadvertent movement.

There are some machine marks underneath the top cap, but that does not bother me as this area is not seen. The complexity of the machining is quite impressive. I think the brushed finish is fine and the knurling, as reported by others, is superb.

I got a wonderful shave on my initial run while using setting #4 and then moving down to #2.

The head is quite slim and maneuverable, and I like the fact that there is no blade overhang.

This is my most expensive razor, and I am hoping that it will quell my RAD.

View attachment 972462 View attachment 972463

Congrats on the acquisition. :thumbsup:

Well USPS Tracking is indicating the pass-around box is waiting for me at the house, so I may be having my first shave with the Rex in the morning. - I say may be, as it's my early morning, and I'm usually pressed for time to get out to my early networking/breakfast meeting, but who knows.......need go home, dunk it in barbicide, and pick a blade to load up. (Probably a Nacet, RPL, or GSB for the first go round).

@dmshaver
@GlazedBoker

Thanks

Here is the case that I got from an Etsy vendor. I was not ready to spend $100 for the official case, but I won't completely rule it out. I am really hoping that the Rex will curb my RAD as far as actual "go to" user razors are concerned.

I still have a soft spot for certain vintage razors simply for the pure enjoyment of their history.

Razor Case.jpg Razor Case 2.jpg

Top Bottom