What's new

RIP Notre Dame Cathedral

My wife and I have been discussing a trip to Paris (we travel more as we age) and the news out of Paris is like a punch to the gut. I can remember being fascinated with the cathedral since I saw Lon Chaney in the Hunchback when I was 6 years old. There is so much of western culture that just has been obliterated. My heart goes out, particularly, to the people of France.

Wow! I clicked on this and at the same time it came on the news. Lots of flames they say they don't think it will be saved. Hopefully they get it under control before too much else catches.

What happened to the Cathedral? I don’t watch ALL the news.

It caught fire today

proxy.php

More like gutted, which is bad enough. But the stone is limestone, and you can burn limestone to make lime. My worry is that a portion of the stonework may no longer be sound after this.

Look for it to be rebuilt, maybe with steel in the roof instead of wood.

Very sad about this too. Been following along all day. The only good is that a lot of the relics and some statues were removed during construction so they were safe from the fire.

The latest reports show that the great North Rose Window, between the towers, made it through. I sure hope so; the greatest window in the cathedral, with as I remember the oldest glass.

Correction: I got my rose windows mixed up. The window between the towers is marvelous, but the great rose window, with the oldest glass, is in the north transept.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
A huge loss (a piece of their soul), for Paris and for France, but Pres. Macron stated he would re-build it.

I was quite 'moved' when I had the honor of visiting the Cathedral in 99...simply awesome.

I was lucky enough to visit when they introduced the new bells. There was a huge ceremony and the streets were packed when they started ringing them for the first time. One of my favourite memories.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Not good at all. They rebuilt it once before, they may do it again depending on the damage when the fire is out.

The latest reports show that the great North Rose Window, between the towers, made it through. I sure hope so; the greatest window in the cathedral, with as I remember the oldest glass.

They lost one of the three Roses, but I do not know which. Two survived. Despite the burning of the wooden roof and the loss of the spire, which I think was the main focus of the current restoration, the structure is largely intact below and within. I mean there are already pictures released from inside the sanctuary. A French billionaire has pledged 100M Euros towards the reconstruction. She will rise like the phoenix from the ashes, I have no doubts. Sad to have lost the historical importance of that roof though . . .

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The News on TV said that it will be rebuilt at a cost of 6.8 Million Dollars. I hope so.

Wow. Insane amount. I feel like people will donate that much plus more.

Do they have any idea what caused the fire?

Top Bottom