What's new

Fatboy - deeper dive

I've been on a steady rotation between my heirloom Flare Tip and a New Improved. While cleaning the other day, I came across my small razor collection and thought, "Why do I have all of these if I'm not using them???

So I decided to start with my Fatboy. Then I decided to use it through all the settings to revisit where I like this razor. I started with 9, figuring I can always step down if the shave is not going well.

Prep - Shower, used my Wife's conditioner on beard and scalp.
Fatboy set to 9
Voskhd - new
Beaumont Silvertip
Proraso Blue
WTG - in shower, A lot of blade feel, but nothing harsh
ATG & Clean up - a tad harsh

Overall, I'd say the shave was similar to my New Improved - a lot of blade feel, requires attention to avoid nicks. I had one on a scar on top of my head - user error...

I'm planning my next shave on 8, reducing all the way until I cannot shave effectively.

Might be safer to go from 2 to 8. Just a thought.

I like my Fatboy immensely. I don't think I've ever had to take it past 7. And when I load in a fresh blade, I usually set it to 2. Four is my average setting.

This is why I love this method nothing works the exact same for everyone, I think the fatboy even on 9 is kinda middle range. Congrats on the shave though :cornut:I

Might be safer to go from 2 to 8. Just a thought.

I like my Fatboy immensely. I don't think I've ever had to take it past 7. And when I load in a fresh blade, I usually set it to 2. Four is my average setting.

I've used this razor on 4 or 5 for a long time, so I thought mixing up would be fun.

As for the 9-1; The Fatboy on 9 is similar to my New Improved (edge to the NI), so I figured,

Also, I thought psychologically that starting at 9 and reducing at the first sign of discomfort would put a focus on technique, where I might be lax if I started low.

Using a new Voskhod was a risk lol

I always used to run my Fatboy on 9. But, now that the hair on top of my head is getting thinner and thinner 9 seems too much for that area. I've started dialing it back, I think my new sweet spot is more like 7. If I set it under 5 I would rather just grab a Red Tip or other Super Speed.

I just started using a fat boy so I’m definitely no expert but 3 is working for me. I might need reconstructive surgery if I went past 5.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I use my Fatboys I can shave comfortably on 3. I have tried 4 but it is not comfortable at all.

I've been using this razor at 5-6 and clean up at 7 for the couple years I've had it.

At 5-6, the razor behaves very similar to my Flare Tip, but not quite as smooth; so I'm revisiting the whole razor.

Work was busy this week, and I had 3 days growth going into this shave, the 8 setting should be good!

Fatboy at 8
Voskhod (2)
Beaumont Silvertip
Proraso Red
Clubman

Oddly harsher than 9, two weepers on my throat.
My head shave was spectacular - I really liked the efficiency. My throat has always been a trouble spot and I wasn't too surprised when I saw two small spots of blood there.

I might have to start using the high setting on my head shave, but I think the throat is going to want a little less blade.

Having fun with this - I'm hoping that 7 keeps the efficiency of the other high settings; but takes a bit of the harshness out.

This is why I love this method nothing works the exact same for everyone, I think the fatboy even on 9 is kinda middle range. Congrats on the shave though :cornut:I
emph added

To me the Fatboy on 9 is very similar to my New Improved - slightly less blade feel on the Fatboy.
My thought is that if technique was good and 9 was still too harsh, I could turn it down - probably should have on my throat.
:shaving:
I'm figuring that some spots will like some settings more than others eg:
9 is perfect on my scalp and WTG on my face, but ATG and anywhere on my throat need full attention.
8 was still good on my scalp - oddly harsh on my cheeks compared to 9, no change from 9 on my throat. Clubman may have been a mistake. :bayrum2:

My expectation is that I will find a range of settings that work well for me.
Ideally a "set it and forget it" for regular daily shaves - 5-7 I'm guessing, but also a "date night" setting for when I can take my time and enjoy my shave - 9, 4 or something like that.

Yep. I don’t understand the logic of decreasing the blade gap on subsequent passes. Surely the point is to get as close as possible on the final pass.

Not on subsequent passes - subsequent shaves. As for the reason - I haven't been using this razor since my Flare Tip and New Improved cover a wide spectrum for me, so I wanted to shake things up and have a bit of fun.

I've been leaving it on a setting, with the option to reduce settings if I feel discomfort and using the same set up to remove variables.
The idea being to treat it as 9 different fixed head razors from most to least efficient to find out when, where and why I like different settings on this razor - although I've never successfully shaved with it on 1 or 2.

I just finished re-reading the whole thread and found a lot of great, though contrary opinions. What's more, I've been on both sides of a few of them:

I've had all of these thoughts:
4 WTG and 9 ATG are great on this razor - but 9 - 4 is great too!
9 is too much on my scalp --- 9 wasn't as efficient as my open comb the other night (could use more blade)

Hence this method of finding where and why I choose my settings.

Hoping I have time for 7 tomorrow...

Fatboy on 7

Prep - Shower, used my Wife's conditioner on beard and scalp.
Fatboy set to 7
Voskhod - (3)
Beaumont Silvertip
Proraso Blue
WTG - in shower, VERY smooth on my scalp still good blade feel. Smooth WTG on face & throat.
ATG & Clean up - Nice, still a bit harsh on the outboard corners of my throat - but, truth be told, most every razor can be harsh on those spots.

So far, 7 is a front runner for a high setting - still efficient, but very smooth.

I had a fear of the #9 setting. I now set all of my adjustables on 9. Great shaves with little or no pressure on the razor.

I like 9 on top of my scalp, the back of my neck and my cheeks WTG. It's a bit harsh on my throat and I seem to have an odd tendency to perform unintentional scarectomy on the top left of my head.

Looking forward to shaving on 6 tonight - I'm expecting something similar to my FTSS. The heads are nearly identical in dome and gap at 4-6.

Funny, I never ventured above 4 or 5 for a long time with my Slim. Then my Fat-Boy arrived, actually paid less than the Slim. First shave at what I thought was 5, it was set to 5, but more blade feel....Just went really light and easy, nice shave. Looking over the razor, realized the adjustment plate wasn't moving as I rotated the knob. Yep, it was stuck on 9! After additional cleaning, soaking, spraying 1/4 can of WD40 down into the mechanism, she now functions and looks great. - And I've decided that 7-9 are my preferred setting, as still comfortable, and the shave is closer.

I'm another higher number user. I've come to find that milder razors tug my hair and irritate more. I rarely set my slim below a 7. I've never bothered with changing the setting between passes.

Top Bottom